Jump to content

My friend’s daughter


Longjohn
 Share

Recommended Posts



She seems to have alot of muscle...already!  And such stylish form.

 A niece of mine was competitive gymnastics starting from around 9 yrs. old up to 17 yrs. old. She did compete in regional competitions. Her specialty was parallel bars and floor mat...where one does a running leap to do forward handsprings, cartwheels, handstands and backward, etc.

  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I hope she enjoyed every minute 

She lives for gymnastics. She asked her mom why her belly doesn’t look like everyone else’s, It’s all bumpy. She has killer abs at six years old. When I’m over at her house she has to show me all the new stuff she has learned. She does some stuff in the living room and some on the trampoline.

  • Heart 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

She lives for gymnastics. She asked her mom why her belly doesn’t look like everyone else’s, It’s all bumpy. She has killer abs at six years old. When I’m over at her house she has to show me all the new stuff she has learned. She does some stuff in the living room and some on the trampoline.

Just to give an idea of training regime for  young ones:

Parent(s) have to be prepared to dedicate several hrs. per trip/chaperone, several times/wk....  my niece was practicing at least min. 3 times  / wk. and more where she had to leave house no later than 5:00 am in the morning to practice or after  school...for  I guess nearly 8 yrs. Niece practiced the same floor  routine..over and over...over....over for competition. This months of preparation.

So imagine what it must be like to practice for national or international competitions..how a gymnast's body becomes incredibly fine-tuned and strong.

Same parents also dealt with their 2 sons, who each had ice hockey and then soccer each season for at least 9 years.

Niece also had ice hockey and soccer wove in between gymnastics for about 5 years. 

The 3 now adult children....are yes, fit-looking (all slim, etc.) and self-motivated individuals...you have to be to plough through engineering university studies.

There's no question a sport OR a  non-sport passion helps discipline and self-motivation for young  folks.

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Just to give an idea of training regime for  young ones:

Parent(s) have to be prepared to dedicate several hrs. per trip/chaperone, several times/wk....  my niece was practicing at least min. 3 times  / wk. and more where she had to leave house no later than 5:00 am in the morning to practice or after  school...for  I guess nearly 8 yrs.  One needs to realize they were also dealing with their 2 sons, who each had ice hockey and then soccer each season for at least 9 years.

Daughter is 4.5 and in the pre-competitive team as she's too young to register as a gymnast with USAG until later this year. Her team will compete late season hopefully so they're getting prepared. We are at the gym 2.5hrs twice a week right now and will move to 3 times a week during summer. Matching leotards, warm-ups, and other swag need to be purchased, her professional "license" as well.

We we given an estimate of 3-4k per competition we go to to cover registration, travel and billeting of the coaches. That doesn't include our own transportation costs. We're expecting about 12-14k a year for gymnastics as she progresses to @Longjohn friends level of competition. It gets expensive and takes time but she loves it and as long as she does, I'll support it.

  • Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Daughter is 4.5 and in the pre-competitive team as she's too young to register as a gymnast with USAG until later this year. Her team will compete late season hopefully so they're getting prepared. We are at the gym 2.5hrs twice a week right now and will move to 3 times a week during summer. Matching leotards, warm-ups, and other swag need to be purchased, her professional "license" as well.

We we given an estimate of 3-4k per competition we go to to cover registration, travel and billeting of the coaches. That doesn't include our own transportation costs. We're expecting about 12-14k a year for gymnastics as she progresses to @Longjohn friends level of competition. It gets expensive and takes time but she loves it and as long as she does, I'll support it.

When I heard that same gymnastics niece  was going  on a  50 km. charity bike  ride 3 yrs. ago, my reaction:  she will have no problem even though I realize she probably doesn't bike daily  and cycling uses some different muscles....but the endurance and cardio required wouldn't tax her much. Nothing to worry about.

Share her enthusiasm. Hope her schooling is ok.  My sister and hubby wanted to make she was fine there too during gymnastics years,....because right now, she had to switch away from gymnastics to full-time university studies.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...