The story of my swollen nuts

Parr8hed

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Perfect example of taking something that's been working fine for 100 years and making it more complicated. That company, like probably all car companies, have too many people getting paid to overly complicate shit.

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

I know it may be hard to believe but there is an internet site dedicated to Ford related problems.

http://www.fordproblems.com/swollen-lug-nuts/#:~:text=Most lug nuts are one,trap moisture and promote corrosion.

Ford has been staunchly unsympathetic when it comes to complaints about lug nuts and says "the plaintiffs talk about swollen lug nuts as if the lug nuts should be indestructible and the warranties should last forever." Lug nuts shouldn't last forever, but they also shouldn't be impossible to remove without special equipment after 10,000 miles.

...I have been abusing solid steel  lug nuts for years, with an air impact wrench....literally hundreds of them...and I cannot recall ever replacing one.  I guess if you lose one, by not keeping track of it during a roadside repair, you'd need a new one.  Otherwise, they have been one of the few things on the average truck or car that has served me quietly and without much complaint during a long lifetime of driving and fixing stuff.

I have sheared off a stud or two, and in that case it's usually easier to replace the lug nut along with the new  stud.  Otherwise, my hat is off to the humble steel lug nut.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I had lug nuts similar to these on a Pontiac I owned. The sheet metal on the outside was stainless steel, though. They are a problem. When the cover starts to come loose, you have to take it off, if it doesn't fall off. Then the nut takes a different size socket.

• Heart 1

Well I got the swolled nuts off pretty easily.  Brakes went on very quick.  Truck stops silky smooth now.  

But I ordered lugs for a 5 lug axle, not 6.  Stupid.  Now I am 4 short.  I am going to order some for the wife's car.  I will order 4 extra for mine when I do. :rolleyes:

• Heart 1