Cardio verses weights for fat loss?

Longjohn

From my scientific viewpoint, there are two things that most strongly determine fat loss.  They are important because you can lose weight by your body burning up carbs, protein, even muscle fiber rather than fat if you don't trigger your body to burn fat.

1) Calories in vs Calories burned: this comes down to diet and exercise.  You cannot create or destroy energy, if you burn more than you consume, you'll lose weight - not counting water weight that salt and meds may effect.

2) Exercise duration and type: Covert Bailey's MIT research showed that if you don't get enough exercise, your body's cells and organs send each other chemical signals that burning fat isn't important and there's a decrease in the amount of biochemicals produced by the body to transport and convert fats to energy.  This is what is sometimes called "slow metabolism" by people who can't understand why their fat isn't decreasing.

But your body keeps generating the large amounts of chemicals to transport and burn carbs and proteins, due to fear and other quick muscle responses that burn carbs and proteins that send chemical signals through the body that the biochemicals needed for carbs and proteins is important.

Bailey looked at different types of exercises to get the body back in shape or keep it in shape so that fat burning capabilities become and remain strong.

Those that used the most different muscles required less time for each exercise (hopefully at least every-other-day) to get a response from the body to create better fat burn abilities so that a significant amount of fat was burned during exercise. The list below is the reason I make sure I walk at least 40 minutes each time. It's from Bailey's "Smart Exercise" - which was on the NY Times Best Seller List:

image.jpeg.80d0128f39be7cd7e08a10c5dc8f97e1.jpeg

47 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

reason I make sure I walk at least 40 minutes each

This is very useful info. Me too… when I just walk, my pace is usually 16-19 minutes per mile, and I walk at least 3 miles. Any more than that, though, and my hip joints start to hurt. mr. has to mind his injured foot. We use trekking poles when we hike in the mountains because the terrain is uneven and there’s a lot of elevation change, ie it’s steep. 

We also go to the gym to lift weights three times a week. He works specific muscle groups, but I do full-body stuff. I want as much burn for least amount of time. 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

That chick is out of her mind.

My doctor said sticking your butt out like that is really bad for your hips and lower back. When I was part of a women’s weight training program, they had a segment about water loading and posing for optimum muscle tone in photos. Part of the training was to bend backwards at the waist so the butt sticks out, upper thighs separate, and abs lengthen. She’s got it on point. At her age, it’s probably no thing. I hope she keeps more balanced posture when she’s not posing…. Maybe her active vegan life will keep her joints happy. 

23 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

This is very useful info. Me too… when I just walk, my pace is usually 16-19 minutes per mile, and I walk at least 3 miles. Any more than that, though, and my hip joints start to hurt. mr. has to mind his injured foot. We use trekking poles when we hike in the mountains because the terrain is uneven and there’s a lot of elevation change, ie it’s steep. 

We also go to the gym to lift weights three times a week. He works specific muscle groups, but I do full-body stuff. I want as much burn for least amount of time. 

My right hip hurts every time I walk. I did 2 miles last night and it hurt. It’s not excruciating but just uncomfortable. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

15 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

My right hip hurts every time I walk. I did 2 miles last night and it hurt. It’s not excruciating but just uncomfortable. 

Yep. I take a joint health supplement with all the cocktail and use bone broth in all my soups and stews. 

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

WHY does it hurt - from an injury or for no apparent reason?  You're too young for hip problems!!!

He is still a Clydesdale and they tend to have more hip problems. He is losing weight and that will help but his genetics is working against him and also his love of bacon.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

He is still a Clydesdale and they tend to have more hip problems. He is losing weight and that will help but his genetics is working against him and also his love of bacon.

He can get back in the pool!  That's gentle on the hips.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

WHY does it hurt - from an injury or for no apparent reason?  You're too young for hip problems!!!

I have not been especially nice to my hips.  Military training, ironman training, extra weight?  I have been doing yoga every morning.  I feel like in general it helps, but sometimes it tends to aggravate the problems.  IDK, I just suck it up and keep going.  

17 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Yep. I take a joint health supplement with all the cocktail and use bone broth in all my soups and stews. 

I should prob look into that. 

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

100% correct.

13 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

He can get back in the pool!  That's gentle on the hips.

I would love to.  But nothing in the budget for a pool right now.  Time or money budgets.