Deer stink recipe

Parsnip Totin Jack

It’s spring. Do rats on stilts treat your garden like a vegetarian buffet? Do you wish they’d stop eating your flowers and plants? Deer stink is what you’re looking for. I got this recipe from Bob Villa’s website and it works great. Three eggs, three Tblsp milk or plain yogurt, three cloves garlic, minced, three Tblsp cayenne or red pepper and water. Blend ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain into a gallon jug and fill with water to make one gallon. Set out in the sun to ferment a few days. Pour into a large spray bottle and apply to plants you want to protect. Reapply after rain. Do this early in the season to train the deer that your gardens are no bueno. 

• Heart 4

The veg garden is in a jail.  My baby trees are in jail.  Pretty much everything else is supposed to be "deer resistant."  That term makes me laugh, cause they eat that stuff too.  

I planted a crap ton of alfalfa, and clover.  That should give them something else to dine on.  I don't fret about them too much.  They are part of it all.  I might put some flowers that they would devour otherwise in the fortress.  I like roses, but I can't have them here. We caged up the grape vines.  I just want them to get bigger vines, and I will uncage them.  If I have enough, at some point they would be full, right?  :D:foryou: 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I might try that around the squirrel burrows beneath our hardscape. Filling them in with some cayenne and garlic mixed into the dirt isn’t working. 

I don't have any.  Maybe when my trees get bigger, they might be a problem.  We have birds of prey that dine here.  Also, the neighbor cats seem to be mighty hunters.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

It’s spring. Do rats on stilts treat your garden like a vegetarian buffet? Do you wish they’d stop eating your flowers and plants? Deer stink is what you’re looking for. I got this recipe from Bob Villa’s website and it works great. Three eggs, three Tblsp milk or plain yogurt, three cloves garlic, minced, three Tblsp cayenne or red pepper and water. Blend ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain into a gallon jug and fill with water to make one gallon. Set out in the sun to ferment a few days. Pour into a large spray bottle and apply to plants you want to protect. Reapply after rain. Do this early in the season to train the deer that your gardens are no bueno. 

I think I’ll spray that on my bikes.

• Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The veg garden is in a jail.  My baby trees are in jail.  Pretty much everything else is supposed to be "deer resistant."  That term makes me laugh, cause they eat that stuff too.  

I planted a crap ton of alfalfa, and clover.  That should give them something else to dine on.  I don't fret about them too much.  They are part of it all.  I might put some flowers that they would devour otherwise in the fortress.  I like roses, but I can't have them here. We caged up the grape vines.  I just want them to get bigger vines, and I will uncage them.  If I have enough, at some point they would be full, right?  :D:foryou: 

Deer are never full. 

On 3/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, Dirtyhip said:

Definitely pondering a burrow.  :)

Little dude ate all of the petals off the pansies in patio containers then burrowed underneath the slab. I’m all for healthy habitat, but the internet cables have already been relocated once after squirrels chewed on them. This time, the squirrel can find a better place to gather and dig. 

tip for the smaller vermin:

Coyote urine, you can buy bottles of it, hunters use it as a cover scent.  You don't have to milk a coyote.

Soak a few qtips in it, toss them in an empty beer bottle, leave a few of those around your gardens

Of course, you'll have to put some work in emptying beer bottles first.