Russia's heavy Casualties

MickinMD

About 160,000 Russian troops have entered Ukraine.

The Russian Ministry of Defense admitted Russia’s armed forces have lost 9,861 dead, 16,153 wounded.  That's 6% killed and 10% wounded.

Since less than half are actual combat troops (normally only 1/3 or less: the rest being support, supply, etc.), that means Russia has lost at least 1/3 of its combat troops!

Supposedly, it has lost even a higher percentage of equipment, much of which is being restored and used by Ukraine.

No wonder Russia's begging China for military aid and recruiting mercenaries from Syria!

There have been reports of Ukraine taking back some of the territory Russia holds.  I wonder if Ukraine would officially recognize Crimea as Russian it would give Putin a save-face horse to retreat on - it was Russian for hundreds of years before it was given to Ukraine in a Soviet political ploy in 1952 and, before Russia annexed it in 2014, 75% of Crimeans spoke Russian and considered themselves Russian.

Pro-Kremlin newspaper unwittingly publishes Russian troops death toll

The newspaper published an article Monday that included a paragraph stating that Russia’s defense ministry said its losses in Ukraine are 9,862 dead and 16,153 injured.

“Russia’s Ministry of Defense denies the information of the Ukrainian General Staff about alleged large-scale casualties among the Russian Armed Forces in Ukraine,” the article stated. “According to the data of the Russian ministry of defense, in the course of the special operation in Ukraine, Russia’s armed forces have lost 9,861 dead, 16,153 have received wounds.”

Not long after journalists online spotted the number, the article vanished...

• Heart 1

Yeah Putin's pissed  -- apparently has put all his spies and advisors saying Ukraine would be a cake walk on house arrest -- and he's resorting to nasty tactics.  But I don't trust figures being pumped out and I don't trust that Russia is throwing everything at them.  Either way, lots of folks dying -- and not in pleasant ways.  War is horrible.

Looks like the Javelin & other missiles being provided are effective against the armored columns but at some point you gotta think the Russkies are going to change their tactics making them less effective.

It’s becoming a war of attrition & the Ukrainians have far less resources to wage a prolonged fight.  But dayum they are giving the Russkies hell so far.  

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I could easily see Putin using nuclear weapons before withdrawing defeated.

This is where the diplomats and policy experts earn their money.

So far, they've avoided turning this into WWIII, while making it FAR harder than Putin expected, and making it obvious that even if he takes Ukraine, he can't keep it.  So I trust they have also planned a way that Putin can retreat and still save some face..

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

This is where the diplomats and policy experts earn their money.

So far, they've avoided turning this into WWIII, while making it FAR harder than Putin expected, and making it obvious that even if he takes Ukraine, he can't keep it.  So I trust they have also planned a way that Putin can retreat and still save some face..

Ukraine recognizes Russia's claim to Crimea and the area around Mariupol, maybe all the way to Donetsk.

On the other hand, Putin may settle for no less than reparations for the Ukraine's unprovoked on Russia.

He's the queen of hearts in this play.

13 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

This assumes Putin is able and willing to think and act logically. 

Logical thinking is based on good information.  Garbage in, garbage out.  Putin was brought up in a different world than you and I and he is getting different information.

But then again, so was Hitler.