How long......

Zephyr

Would you be willing to wait for a new vehicle?  I am not a 'car guy', and really don't get all bent out of shape about vehicles.  My last three I have owned for 9, 13 and 11 years respectively.

My current car is 9 years old and is still great.  To get the vehicle I want to replace it with it is currently a 2-3 year wait.  Would you wait or would you settle for what you don't want.   Like I said I am not in need of a new car, and am willing to wait but someone said I was nuts.

Am I crazy (about this specifically)

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

To get the vehicle I want to replace it with it is currently a 2-3 year wait. 

Yeah, that seems excessive :)

Subaru?  I think it is unlikely most cars would be 2-3 years, but there will definitely be outliers.  Tesla was a wait for a while, and I bet those are stretching again :(

12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Am I crazy

Yes

12 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

(about this specifically)

And yes.

But I would not wait for more than a couple weeks a best.  I usually drive my cars until they are ready to quit.  My last car I took with me as a trade-in as I was looking.  I found what I wanted and made arrangements to come back the next day to do the paperwork and pick it up.  I went to leave in my trade-in and it wouldn't start.  Change of plans.  I did the paperwork on the new (used) Honda and transferred my stuff in their parking lot.  They could tow it to their service bay.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Would you wait or would you settle for what you don't want.   Like I said I am not in need of a new car, and am willing to wait but someone said I was nuts.

My worry would be, if you want a specific model configuration, and the wait is 2-3 yrs NOW, what makes you think that won't bet the wait when you ARE ready to buy (and need it)?  I've only bought off the lot - ie decide on the car I like, and find what dealer has it, and then go buy it - but that was when cars were in plenty.  I'd hate to buy an "interim" car.

5 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

I would be afraid to wait three years.  Not sure what the model you like now will look like in that time.  

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My worry would be, if you want a specific model configuration, and the wait is 2-3 yrs NOW, what makes you think that won't bet the wait when you ARE ready to buy (and need it)?  I've only bought off the lot - ie decide on the car I like, and find what dealer has it, and then go buy it - but that was when cars were in plenty.  I'd hate to buy an "interim" car.

The model is unlikely to change as it recently changed.  The only difference is likely to be the colour choices.  It is not a commitment to get on the list so really not losing anything by getting on it

28 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Would you be willing to wait for a new vehicle?  I am not a 'car guy', and really don't get all bent out of shape about vehicles.  My last three I have owned for 9, 13 and 11 years respectively.

My current car is 9 years old and is still great.  To get the vehicle I want to replace it with it is currently a 2-3 year wait.  Would you wait or would you settle for what you don't want.   Like I said I am not in need of a new car, and am willing to wait but someone said I was nuts.

Id wait then. Get what you'd like if not in need now

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

What the heck kind of car has a 3 year wait?  A ferrari? 

I tend to get cars when I need them.  So it would probably not be an option for me. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd hate to buy an "interim" car.

You aren't thinking creatively enough.

Buy an interim car.  It must be a specific DeLorean.  Drive it 77 MPH towards the dealership, pick up the car you ordered, swap the flux capacitor to the new car, drive it back to today.

Problem solving is my thing.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Depends.  I'm an impulsive car buyer.  I don't usually wait more than a few hours.

Kinda this. I look online and do research for a few weeks, then when I start looking I expect to drive one home in a couple days. Last time it was same day. Hopefully don’t need a new one for five more years. 

On the Mini I waited several months - watched the build at the factory, then load on the ship and every port call until reached destination in Brunswick, GA, then transported to Orlando. Biggest surprise/frustration is that Baltimore is actually a port and Norfolk hasn't swiped the business from them. When entering the Chesapeake at Norfolk, it takes a full day up the Chesapeake to reach Baltimore and another day to get back to the Atlantic! At least the next port call was Brunswick. The wait worked out as I had the diesel VW that could turn in for more than I paid rather than trade. Now 5 years and almost later 70k miles later, out of warranty and known repair issues deferred thinking about replacing it. Can get Chevy or Ram 1500 3.0L diesel trucks no problem, but leaning toward a Ford Escape Hybrid. Essentially a 3-4 month wait and the Mini should hold up - tires should last (estimate 10k miles before another set of run flats), and hopefully the brake light doesn't come on as rear original and replaced fronts 30k ago.)

Trucks would be to pull a trailer, Escape hybrid is 4 down towable behind and RV which the Mini is not. Have to determine which route will take, trailer or RV. Ford is giving priority to customer orders over dealer orders AND and extra $1000 for custom order in addition to other discounts my choice of at time of order or on delivery. Supposedly I can purchase under X-Plan which cuts the game and priced near invoice, but depends on dealer if will accept it. The big issue is I can't play dealer against dealer since the selected dealer has the custom order car. Car price would be established at the order, but it is the trade valuation that could be the issue. The few cars on the lot - custom order walkaways - don't offer the $1000 order discount, and it is haggle time as already told will not accept X-Plan unless "prior customer of dealership" and that didn't include their other dealership in a nearby city where I was a prior customer - but the reason they might consider it on special order. Otherwise, I just go to the other city and order. The other reason to order is that next to impossible to find AWD version in Florida which I want.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Yes

And yes.

But I would not wait for more than a couple weeks a best.  I usually drive my cars until they are ready to quit.  My last car I took with me as a trade-in as I was looking.  I found what I wanted and made arrangements to come back the next day to do the paperwork and pick it up.  I went to leave in my trade-in and it wouldn't start.  Change of plans.  I did the paperwork on the new (used) Honda and transferred my stuff in their parking lot.  They could tow it to their service bay.

My wife bought a late model used car, a Toyota. We only had it for a year and the engine went. We still owed a crapton of money on it and the trade in value of a car in need of an engine isn’t very good. I told my wife go pick out the car you want at the same dealership you bought that one and tell them to make it work. We traded it for a used Honda that got passed around from my wife to our son and I drove it for its last couple years. 250,000 + miles on it. I traded it for the Element.

• Heart 1

I did order a new vehicle one time and had to wait for it. I ordered a brand new Chevy 3/4 ton cargo van with 350 V8, power steering, no extra seats in moss gold color.. To be turned into a conversion van/hippy wagon by myself. It was 1974 in the fall when they were making the 1975 models. They were building it at the Lordstown, Ohio General Motors plant a half hour away from where I lived. I had to wait six weeks to get it. I met my wife one week after it was delivered. She never got to see my 1965 Blue Goose hippy wagon that I traded in.