$7 million catamaran capsizes on the San Francisco Bay

Page Turner

...big race coming up on the Bay. I guess 7 mill is not a lot of money for a full on race cat any more. Don't worry, these things flip over all the time. It'll buff right out.

2400x0.jpg

Damage to the catamaran was minimal, and the athletes sustained no major injuries, reports KTVU. The team is expected to resume practice on Tuesday for this weekend's race with a $1 million prize. 

"Imagine navigating 50' flying (foiling) catamarans that reach speeds up to 60 mph — pretty crazy! Imagine Formula One — on water," SailGP spokesperson Perry Krasnove said in an email to SFGATE regarding the event. "The league has seen enormous growth going from 6 national teams to now 10, and 10 events around the globe lined up for season 3 — an impressive result even with a global pandemic happening in its second year."

The Grand Final of the SailGP championship race will take place between Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge at 2 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. 

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/10-million-catamaran-capsizes-on-SF-Bay-17021109.php

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...big race coming up on the Bay. I guess 7 mill is not a lot of money for a full on race cat any more. Don't worry, these things flip over all the time. It'll buff right out.

2400x0.jpg

Damage to the catamaran was minimal, and the athletes sustained no major injuries, reports KTVU. The team is expected to resume practice on Tuesday for this weekend's race with a $1 million prize. 

"Imagine navigating 50' flying (foiling) catamarans that reach speeds up to 60 mph — pretty crazy! Imagine Formula One — on water," SailGP spokesperson Perry Krasnove said in an email to SFGATE regarding the event. "The league has seen enormous growth going from 6 national teams to now 10, and 10 events around the globe lined up for season 3 — an impressive result even with a global pandemic happening in its second year."

The Grand Final of the SailGP championship race will take place between Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge at 2 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. 

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/10-million-catamaran-capsizes-on-SF-Bay-17021109.php

Make up your mind.  7 mil or 10 mil?  sheesh.  

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I went to a sailGP event a few years ago with a coworker, not expecting too much out of it.  It turned out to be pretty cool, those boats can fly!

We were in Bermuda in the run up to the America's Cup.  There were some boats out practicing and stuff and it looked pretty cool - especially compared to the "normal" boats out and about.  Then, watching the actual race on TV, it really gave me a better perspective on the race from having seen the course in person.  I'm not sure what those America's Cup boats are classified as anymore.  Catamaran derivatives? 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

We were in Bermuda in the run up to the America's Cup.  There were some boats out practicing and stuff and it looked pretty cool - especially compared to the "normal" boats out and about.  Then, watching the actual race on TV, it really gave me a better perspective on the race from having seen the course in person.  I'm not sure what those America's Cup boats are classified as anymore.  Catamaran derivatives? 

foiling cats.

Cute Cat Standing GIF - Cute Cat Standing Sword - Discover & Share GIFs

• Heart 2