Listen more. Talk less.

Airehead

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

But, verily, both listening and talking have various levels of the use of filters and some generosity to allow others space. And neither guarantees authentic connection. That takes work. 

YOu known, "verily" was the first time I read the word ..in decades. I would have seen that word in English literature texts back to 16th century. 

So word in past week, appeared to me, in various documents from lawyer. He was originally trained as a lawyer in Ireland before immigrating to Canada where he had to take courses, get a Canadian law degree/get recertified to our standard.

this is Komokuten, a towering wood statute over 3 stories high inside a  Japanese temple we visited about 100 km. from Kyoto in Japan. He is a guardian of Buddha. Buddha is inside too, just 2 metres away.

I realized this fierce guardian didn't have a sword, club or bow 'n arrow.  His weapon is  WORDs, the calligraphy brush pen ...and scroll to write.

My hero:  my defense in words are powerful. They can ruin, heal or support other people. Words have resulted in the terrible tragedy in wars, etc.

I just love the  wood carving artistry too.

komseeall-evil.jpg?w=787&h=1024

vertcal-komoten.jpg?w=768&h=1024

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

The art of listening and not just waiting your turn to speak. That is the challenge.

Yep.  I enjoy teaching communication skills to young scouts.  Active and empathetic listening.  Do not interrupt.  Do not judge.  Do not invalidate.  Take time to process and respond.  Take notes.  Make eye contact.  Give affirmation with nods and body language.

• Heart 2