Yesterdays adventure

Tizeye

Felt good supporting a small business. The owner with the reddish shirt has a Fine Arts degree with glassworks specialization. Quit Disney three years ago and started this up. Gives the Groupon lessons on the side and appears to have a sold schedule as one waiting after us, and the "awaiting pickup" shelf had about 15 bags with prior student work. He also does commission work and straight sales. The other individual is his "apprentice" and hopes to set up a second station to proceed from break even subsistence to profitability.

Son and daughter struggle with what to get us as gifts and surprise us with Groupon adventures. The have included a downtown walking tour of restaurants, helicopter ride over Alps, Paddlewheel boat dinner cruise, oil painting class (at least we didn't have to show our glasswork since we were a solo class, but had to show our oil painting to the class), and a wildlife safari drive to name a few. The jointly went in for out anniversary with a concert and dinner at Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna. 

The only one we had to get a refund on was the Bob Ross Experience for my wife. (I was going to wait by doing street photography in downtown New Smyrna Beach). They had one course that didn't meet our schedule, intending to catch a later one.  But then the shifted their focus to a multi-course series for instructor training. Just didn't work out.

• Heart 2

That business is not cheap. There are three units that are fired up. The one inserting the glass in is lit about 30 minutes before use, but the one behind in the picture is where the molten glass supply is, and I think he said it runs 24/7. The other oven is behind the blow torch and it is the coolest at around 900 degrees where the finished product is placed then the heat bled off overnight. Hate to think of their gas bill!

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

That business is not cheap. There are three units that are fired up. The one inserting the glass in is lit about 30 minutes before use, but the one behind in the picture is where the molten glass supply is, and I think he said it runs 24/7. The other oven is behind the blow torch and it is the coolest at around 900 degrees where the finished product is placed then the heat bled off overnight. Kate to think of their gas bill!

...I did some of that at U of MN. It does cost a bundle in utilities to run a hot glass shop. The actual furnaces where you melt either cullet or the stuff to batch glass from formula will pull themselves apart as the glass inside the furnace cools, if you don't gather it out before you shut them down.  Ours only got shut down to rebuild or reline them.  If you use a glory hole for shaping and working, that can go up and down more easily, but we still didn't shut them off completely because it takes too long to reheat without damaging the firebrick cast liner.

I was a lot younger then, though.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Wow!  You and your wife got to have a class with Riddick!  I saw him in a documentary about a power outage.  Pitch Black I think it was called...

Capture.JPG.6eb482793d50216e65f853bb817359ec.JPG

May look similar, but the owner's name is Justin Ferrell

• Heart 2