All I am saying

jsharr

Visiting I-5's biggest roadside stop, where locals and travelers coexist

...why did I find myself driving 115 miles on Monday to Harris Ranch, where I could get reacquainted with the special-occasion hamburger I grew up eating on my family’s many road trips between Northern and Southern California?

And what was I going to find at everyone’s favorite get-out-and-stretch-your-legs Interstate 5 destination between LA (198 miles) and SF (184 miles) all these years later? ...

In 1916, J.A. Harris and his wife, Kate, moved from Texas to Southern California’s Imperial Valley and began to farm cotton. The couple eventually moved to Northern California, where they settled down. Their son Jack Harris graduated from Chico High School in 1932 and then enrolled in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. 

After graduation, Jack and his wife Theresa decided to stay in the central part of the state. In 1937, the pair started Harris Ranch on 320 acres of land, smack dab in the middle of the region. 

Harris Ranch was first a grain producer. Then the business grew to become the state’s largest fed cattle processor, with an 800-acre feedlot, up to 120,000 head of cattle in Coalinga and a packing plant in nearby Selma. 

Fast forward to 2019, when John Harris, Jack and Theresa’s son and the CEO and sole shareholder of Harris Farms, got out of the cattle business. He sold the beef operations, including Harris Feeding Company and Harris Ranch Beef Company, to Hanford-based Central Valley Meat Company.

...Coalinga resident Terry Martin said he’d been coming to the restaurant for more than 40 years and thinks it’s still improving. “It’s our local place,” he said, “We’re lucky to have it. I have friends who work here all the way back to one who did the ironwork during the [main building’s] construction. There’ve been changes, but we realize business has to change to stay viable.”

...Coalinga is one of the Central Valley's most desolate destinations. Parents in Merced used to threaten their disobedient children with being sent to live in Coalinga. Hot, dry, dusty, and remote, with the additional allure of that enormous feedlot, which is still there under different ownership. I have eaten in that restaurant several times, and am disappointed we did not get to sing Kumbaya. :(

24 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

Visiting I-5's biggest roadside stop, where locals and travelers coexist

...Coalinga is one of the Central Valley's most desolate destinations. Parents in Merced used to threaten their disobedient children with being sent to live in Coalinga. Hot, dry, dusty, and remote, with the additional allure of that enormous feedlot, which is still there under different ownership. I have eaten in that restaurant several times, and am disappointed we did not get to sing Kumbaya. :(

Coalingas?

Coalinga (/ˌk.əˈlɪŋɡə/ or /kəˈlɪŋɡə/) is a city in Fresno County and the western San Joaquin Valley, in central California.

It was formerly known as Coaling Station A, Coalingo,[8] and Coalinga Station.[7]

The population was 13,380 as of the 2010 census, up from 11,668 at the 2000 census. It is the site of both Pleasant Valley State Prison and Coalinga State Hospital. It is also home to Harris Ranch.

...Coalinga is so bad that it makes the city of Fresno look like Paris, France.

Economy

The city's main industries are agriculture, oil, Cannabis, education and incarceration. The city is home to the Coalinga Oil Field, operated by Chevron and Aera Energy; the Guijarral Hills Oil Field; Pleasant Valley State Prison; Ocean Grown Extracts; Next Green Wave; and Coalinga State Hospital.

Coalinga is home to California's first new mental health hospital in more than 50 years: a 1,500-bed facility built specifically to house sexually violent predators. Coalinga State Hospital opened in September 2005.

In 2016 the Coalinga City Council was one of the first cities to pass an Ordinance allowing for the Cultivation, Manufacturing and Distribution of Cannabis. The City sold its old Prison Claremont Custody Center to Ocean Grown Extracts for $4.1 Million Dollars to help the city get out of a financial crisis and to supply jobs to the residents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalinga%2C_California

...I admit that I have not visited since they turned the place into a narco-state.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

George won the whole thing.

With?  I can't say he's much on my radar as "winning" compared to post-Beatles Lennon and McCartney.  

I see a ranking of all his songs, and really not too many jump out at me. Maybe if I registered to them?  He was a Wilbury, though, so that time was good for him.

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

With?  I can't say he's much on my radar as "winning" compared to post-Beatles Lennon and McCartney.  

I see a ranking of all his songs, and really not too many jump out at me. Maybe if I registered to them?  He was a Wilbury, though, so that time was good for him.

All Things Must Pass walloped John and Paul's offerings by an immense margin in both sales and critical acclaim, and this is pretty much agreed on by everyone in the music industry.  I really didn't know that either until I started digging a bit and then playing the post-beatles stuff.  Really, really good, the stuff that was actual songs, that is.

It has since been certified seven-times platinum. Among its appearances on critics' best-album lists, All Things Must Pass was ranked 79th on The Times' "The 100 Best Albums of All Time"

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

All Things Must Pass walloped John and Paul's offerings by an immense margin in both sales and critical acclaim, and this is pretty much agreed on by everyone in the music industry.  I really didn't know that either until I started digging a bit and then playing the post-beatles stuff.  Really, really good, the stuff that was actual songs, that is.

It has since been certified seven-times platinum. Among its appearances on critics' best-album lists, All Things Must Pass was ranked 79th on The Times' "The 100 Best Albums of All Time"

Yeah - I don't have that album :(

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - I don't have that album :(

Ah, it is on all the critic's best albums list, according to those same critics who have it on their own lists.  I do think it is really good, although it probably could have been better if it wasn't Spectorized so damn much.  

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I've got it on vinyl with the original poster as well as the concert for Bangladesh. 

IMG_20220324_092549154.jpg

• Heart 1