Someone talk me out of it

team scooter

It does have the chrome bumpers.  I kind of like the color. Mine was missing the chrome around the grill and was more of a mus-turd yellow. Thats why I painted it red. 

You guys aren't helping. This is what happens when I'm stuck at home. The next thing I know I'm on Craigslist..... :whistle: 

Cars are a terrible investment vehicle.  

<You did tell us to talk you out of it>

My dad had an MGC and a friend had a Midget. I did a lot of work on both. I HATE LUCAS ELECTRONICS!!!

Now see, this is what I was hoping for. :nod head:

I remember one stormy night when the headlamps just stopped working.

The good thing was that I took apart the switch and soldered a new contact on it.... :whistle:

And then the time I was in a bad neighborhood in the city when it stopped running due to lack of spark.

The good thing was it started after sitting for a while..... :whistle:

Ok, but how is this random company connected to this thread?

Lucas made all of the electric systems and components for MG, and most other British cars. Lucas stuff doesn't like to damp climates (like the UK) or functioning for more than 2 hours at a time.

Lucas made all of the electric systems and components for MG, and most other British cars. Lucas stuff doesn't like to damp climates (like the UK) or functioning for more than 2 hours at a time.

Oh.  I guess that makes sense.

Isn't there an aftermarket fix-it kit that will take care of all that?  How do you get parts for older cars, btw?

I was talking to a guy in the car shipping business.  He was telling me about all the cars he saw going through his shop to various parts of the country.

One time this kid brought in a Mustang he sold, and was spraying chrome paint on the bumpers just before he turned it over for shipment.  So the shipper called the buyer and asked him what kind of shape the car was supposed to be in, because the seller was painting the car with spray can out in the parking lot.

Turns out the seller took a picture of his neighbor's Mustang and posted that on Craigslist as the car he was selling, not the wreck he was painting in the parking lot.

But you go ahead and buy the car because something that crazy couldn't happen to you!   :nod head:

• Heart 1

Isn't there an aftermarket fix-it kit that will take care of all that?  How do you get parts for older cars, btw?

This could be a problem. I might need a second parts car just in case. :whistle: 

Also, I need to find out if they had CDI ignitions in 1974. Points suck. Mine was a '72 model with points. Once after blasting the car stereo for several hours at a bonfire, it wouldn't start. Turns out my buddy put the ignition in the run position instead of accessory and it burned up the points. And don't get me started about the batteries mounted under the car behind the seats. Exposed to road spray, salt, etc. :angry:

I was talking to a guy in the car shipping business.  He was telling me about all the cars he saw going through his shop to various parts of the country.

One time this kid brought in a Mustang he sold, and was spraying chrome paint on the bumpers just before he turned it over for shipment.  So the shipper called the buyer and asked him what kind of shape the car was supposed to be in, because the seller was painting the car with spray can out in the parking lot.

Turns out the seller took a picture of his neighbor's Mustang and posted that on Craigslist as the car he was selling, not the wreck he was painting in the parking lot.

But you go ahead and buy the car because something that crazy couldn't happen to you!   :nod head:

:D If I'm going to risk my life by angering the war department, that little MGB will need to be pristine. :nod head:  This one is only a few minutes out of my way at work, so I could check it out in person.

Since my wife would be mad and wouldn't go near it, the Poodles would look fabulous riding in it with me. With their curly locks blowing in the wind. I can see it now.... ;)   

• Heart 1

Buy the friggin car. In the last two days I've seen a blue TR6 and a British Racing Green MGB. Both were magnificent.

Buy it.

My wife says its a mid life crisis thing. Shes probably right. :whistle:  She says I can have it if I sell a couple of motorcycles. Anyone looking for a little motorcycle, or two? ;)

The reason I'm even looking at MGs in the first place, there has been a later model MGB (with the rubber bumpers) for sale two doors down from where I work. Its Competition Orange too. Its been calling my name whenever I drive past it. :nod head:  But I think I'd prefer one with chrome bumpers instead.

What ever happened with the pedal steel guitar?  But that instead!  But if you must buy a car, for heaven's sake buy a Miata or del Sol - the MG feel with Japanese reliability.  I love my del Sol. :)  Better yet, wait for the new Honda Beat, if it ever materialises. :)

http://gas2.org/2014/05/09/2015-honda-beat-s660-set-production/

Woohoo!  2015!  Seems I bought a Civic too darn soon. :angry:

honda-s660.jpg

:D If I'm going to risk my life by angering the war department, that little MGB will need to be pristine. :nod head:  This one is only a few minutes out of my way at work, so I could check it out in person.

Since my wife would be mad and wouldn't go near it, the Poodles would look fabulous riding in it with me. With their curly locks blowing in the wind. I can see it now.... ;)   

Awesome!  That WOULD look gooood!  :D

(My neighbour used to give me grief aboot driving my topless del Sol with the Boston Terrier hanging out the side. He actually questioned my manhood!  :angry::D)

What ever happened with the pedal steel guitar?  But that instead!  But if you must buy a car, for heaven's sake buy a Miata or del Sol - the MG feel with Japanese reliability.  I love my del Sol. :)  Better yet, wait for the new Honda Beat, if it ever materialises. :)

http://gas2.org/2014/05/09/2015-honda-beat-s660-set-production/

Woohoo!  2015!  Seems I bought a Civic too darn soon. :angry:

When I see the guitar I'm looking for, Ill buy it and ask forgiveness later. :nod head:

I'd prefer the original, basic roadster. 

I'd prefer the original, basic roadster. 

Then find an original Honda Beat. :) But I guess that might have been in the Japanese market only.

I shared DH's headlight switch failing experience in my 72 MGB-GT.  That sucked!  The laminations failed. :rolleyes:  I say don;t do it - the Prince of Darkness sucks!  I used to carry aboot 4 distrubutor caps in my trunk.  But I did like that my 72 had chrome bumpers and wire wheels, even if they were galvanised steel and not chrome.

I did recently see some very lust-inducing MGAs at a recent car show. :)  Now THOSE are sexy. :)

0_1957_mga_039.JPG

Then find an original Honda Beat. :) But I guess that might have been in the Japanese market only.

I shared DH's headlight switch failing experience in my 72 MGB-GT.  That sucked!  The laminations failed. :rolleyes:  I say don;t do it - the Prince of Darkness sucks!  I used to carry aboot 4 distrubutor caps in my trunk.  But I did like that my 72 had chrome bumpers and wire wheels, even if they were galvanised steel and not chrome.

I did recently see some very lust-inducing MGAs at a recent car show. :)  Now THOSE are sexy. :)

0_1957_mga_039.JPG

Sweet. I'd like to do a kit car with that style body and a Corolla chassis. :nod head:

• Heart 1

Is it an automatic???  If not you better teach Mrs Scooter and me how to drive it...then she an I will take it cruising for Sugar Daddys when I come & visit.  :nod head:   You know if it breaks down on one of those big dollar Chicago neighborhoods.... :whistle:   Oh wait....that would mean driving in Chicago  :(

:D You two would look fabulous driving around in that. But I think Mrs Scoot would prefer a flashier color than the beige. ;) It has a manual trans, (and no power steering) but she could show you how to shift it. She has been driving manual transmissions since her first car. Blue has a manual trans.

It looks like it might come with the hat too. :P

did you buy it yet??? you better by monday or I will buy it out from under you. 

Cool, will you take me and the poodles for a ride? :)

I think after my trip down memory lane, I may have talked myself out of getting one. (That and my wife reminding me that with her new job, shes only getting half  the pay as her old job). Plus just the thought of refreshing those hydraulic shocks was enough in itself to talk me out of it. 

I'll say! All that construction dust masks the original mustard yellow color and makes it look kinda red.  :scratch head:

My wife says its a mid life crisis thing. Shes probably right. :whistle:  She says I can have it if I sell a couple of motorcycles. Anyone looking for a little motorcycle, or two? ;)

The reason I'm even looking at MGs in the first place, there has been a later model MGB (with the rubber bumpers) for sale two doors down from where I work. Its Competition Orange too. Its been calling my name whenever I drive past it. :nod head:  But I think I'd prefer one with chrome bumpers instead.

This is the orange one.