What was your favorite band to see live?

Tizeye

I would have to say Rolling Stones on their Bridges to Babylon tour.

I was a band parent and as a fund raiser we had concessions, with wife and I staffing the beer concession. That was a story in itself as guys were hitting on my wife and ladies were telling me how they liked a little head...but anyway. Santana was the lead and before we opened the football stadium gates to allow the public in, Santana had a warmup jam. I walked right up to them. Couldn't view their concert, but by contract, the Stones required that the beer concession be closed when they started. Of course, we could have gone to a non-alcohol concession, but with our concession smock on walked onto the football field past the ticket checkpoint (standing on field was premium ticket vs stands) like we were doing some concession work and when well mingled with the crowd, ditched the smock. While the primary stage was in the endzone with a bridge to a secondary stage (Babylon) at mid field and we settled around the 20 yard line.

End of concert put smock back on and did the concession closeout accounting...and caught a little lip about "where were you when closed the beer concession as didn't see helping other stations?" :D 

• Heart 1

little band called The Hold Steady.  I saw them maybe 8 times between 2007 and 2010... thinking about it, I can't believe it's been that long.  Hoping they play nearby soon.

I have been to arena rock shows... no real desire to ever do that again*.  Small club shows are where it's at.

*except, if Arcade Fire comes to town I will take the kids.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Richard Thompson

I was just telling someone how RT plays in Princeton just about every year, and every year it seems there's some reason I can't go.  I really need to see him before he hangs it up.  I don't need to tell you that he is criminally underrated as a guitarist and songwriter.

(Did you read his book? not the best music bio but pretty interesting)

holy hell - look at this!  (April 1?.... maybe they're just kidding)

edit - damn, it's been cancelled!  That was a short roller coaster ride...

image.thumb.png.92744ddf638f3e8356bbcfc43937f80c.png

5 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I was just telling someone how RT plays in Princeton just about every year, and every year it seems there's some reason I can't go.  I really need to see him before he hangs it up.  I don't need to tell you that he is criminally underrated as a guitarist and songwriter.

(Did you read his book? not the best music bio but pretty interesting)

I thought he was coming in March but the schedule must have changed. :(

Yeah,absolutely worth catching before he hangs it up. Hey, a newcomer I loved is Cristone Kingfish Ingram.  He killed it at the Keswick a few months ago. Oh yeah, speaking of the Keswick and catching oldsters while they are still here, kd lang was one I am really glad I heard in person. That voice really fills up a room. :)

One concert that really stands out to me was X & Oingo Boingo.  Both bands absolutely killed it. I saw Big Country at the Hollywood Palladium and I think it was more the venue but that was a great show too. 
Although not a huge Dave Mathews fan we saw them a few years back and they put on a really good show. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

One concert that really stands out to me was X & Oingo Boingo.  Both bands absolutely killed it. I saw Big Country at the Hollywood Palladium and I think it was more the venue but that was a great show too. 
Although not a huge Dave Mathews fan we saw them a few years back and they put on a really good show. 

I have watched him do Cortez the Killer in Central Park on Youtube many times.  That was good!

• Heart 1

In one day I saw Pearl Jam and Neil Young play in Golden Gate Park, and then that evening saw California Guitar Trio open of King Crimson at the Fillmore.

I saw Pearl Jam open for the Stones.

I saw the Ramones at a club on South Beach, Miami.

I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers play on the quad at Temple University in 1988, there were about 20 of us at a Spring Fling afternoon concert.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Incubus & Deftones and Taproot at The Fillmore in Detroit. Was probably 99-00. The Fillmore is a super small venue, like standing room only 2,500 people. Even with my ear plugs in Deftones were, deafening. It was fucking awesome. When Incubus took the stage it was amazing so much pot haze in the air they didn't even need the smoke machines for the lasers and they did a super long set. Or at least my super stoned teenage mind recorded it like that. I've been to a handful in my years since then and they are standout the best show I could have ever gone to.

• Heart 1

JGeils Band on the Freeze Frame tour

Springsteen on Born in the USA tour 

Rolling Stones on Steel Wheels tour. Living Color opened. 
Muddy Waters tribute band, Dr John, BB  King and Little Feat on the same bill. Nebraska State Fair - 1996

Bob Dylan around 2000. 2nd time I saw him was good, but he was really engaged the first time. 
Webb Wilder I’ve seen 4 times. He gave his all regardless of crowd size. 
Lake Street Dive 3 times. can’t wait to see them again!
Richard Thompson twice - once on 1000 Years of Popular Music and again on solo acoustic a couple years later. 
Bangles with Hoodoo Gurus opening. Bangles were good. Hoodoos killed!

Here Come the Mummies are amazing live!

Joan Jett, Heart, Huey Lewis and Cheap Trick get honorable mention. 

That’s who I can think of at the moment. 

• Heart 3

Saw J Geils band a couple times. Once at the Kingdome opening for the Stones. They were awesome. IMO they were better than Mick & company. Peter Wolf just blew my white bread mind

Saw Chris Isaak a couple times. Twice in Bend outdoors in the summer & about 1500-2000 people. He is very engaging with the crowd. 

• Heart 2

I have seen Van Halen a few times.  Ed is unreal live.  Freaking incredible.  

Of course Buffett.  Seen him a gazillion times.  The pregaming is so much fun.  The people are great.  But you can only hear Margaritaville so many times....

Eric Church is simply amazing live.  Really knows how to connect with the crowd.  I have seen him 3 times on this tour alone already.  Every show is different.  No warm up bands, just him and his band.  Plays for 3 hours straight with hit after hit.  And every time I see him I can walk away thinking of 5-6 of my favs that he did not play.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I have seen Van Halen a few times.  Ed is unreal live.  Freaking incredible.  

Of course Buffett. 

I have flown them both to perform at a former boss's private parties.  Bryan Adams and Meatloaf as well.  Buffet, believe it or not was a party dud. 

• Heart 2

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have flown them both to perform at a former boss's private parties.  Bryan Adams and Meatloaf as well.  Buffet, believe it or not was a party dud. 

Yea, I have read his books and he seems way chill.  He has written about multiple times when he has been out to eat and someone would order a margarita for his table and he would drink it, but said "Honestly I really don't like Margaritas that much".  I am sure you know this, but he is a flyer.  He has multiple planes.  You should read his book "a pirate looks at 50" .  It is a great read.   Talks a lot about planes. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Looks-at-Fifty/dp/0449005860/ref=asc_df_0449005860/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111908051&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16706290585453231275&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9014255&hvtargid=pla-492445044629&psc=1

• Hugs 1