I have gotten a full week of eating oot of leftover corned beast, cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots

Ralphie

My LGS had a ton of unsold corned beef brisket left after St. Patties Day. I was tempted but I didn’t buy any. Too much sodium and saturated fat. I love corned beef. I did have a fiery Ruben sandwich on one of my dates. It was good. Much less sodium than a whole brisket. 

• Heart 1

I was hoping to find sales on unsold corned beef but didn't.  My sister got one for $4.99/lb at Costco. It's been $7.99/lb in supermarkets.

Today, my favorite supermarket was out of most of their Almond Milk selections - I love 30 Cal/cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk in cereal.

So I stopped at an Aldi where I got it and also found a not-too-fatty, 3.4 lb piece of Corned Beef for 5.79/lb today and bought it. 

Shopping is getting to be hit-or-miss: some things are plentiful in some stores and absent in others.  For things I use often like Morton Lite Salt or bags of frozen meatballs, I'm still buying two when I need one because I don't know when I'll see it again.  A couple weeks ago, I bought a fennel bulb, sliced it, blanched it and froze it for the next time I make Martha Stewart's Savory Fall Stew.  Fennel isn't in every store even in normal times: it's like a very mild onion with a hint of licorice.

I'll pressure cook the Corned Beef, using the recipe below that I found online, for 90 min. in an Instant Pot then pressure cook the veggies for 3 min.  It comes out great, which surprises me because when you cook it on a stovetop you're told to just barely simmer it for about an hour/lb.  The Pressure Cooker recipe is:

Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tGfocmjis

4.5 Stars (344 Reviews)

Yield: 4 - 6 servings

Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes

Additional Time 35 minutes

Total Time 2 hours 5 minutes

Ingredients

· 3 pound flat cut corned beef brisket with seasoning packet

· 4 cups of beef broth (4 cups water, 4 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)

· 1 large onion, quartered

· 8 cloves of garlic

· 6 medium red potatoes, quartered

· 3 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces

· 1 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges (I just nuke sauerkraut)

Instructions

1. Rinse the corned beef under cold water to remove excess salt and gel.

2. Combine the seasoning packet, onion, and garlic in the pressure cooking pot. Put a metal rack in the bottom of the pressure cooking pot, place corned beef on the rack. and pour the beef stock on top.

3. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 90 minutes cook time. 

4. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.

5. Remove the cooked corned beef from the pressure cooking pot to a platter or cutting board. Slice meat across the grain and cover with aluminum foil until ready to serve. Remove the rack from the cooking pot.  To cut the meat, slice across the grain by positioning your knife perpendicular to the natural grain you can see in the muscle of the brisket.

6. Add the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage to the broth in the cooking pot. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 3 minutes cook time. 

7. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and use a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. 

8. Check the potatoes with a fork. If you would like them cooked more tender, select Sauté and simmer, stirring occasionally, until they reach your desired tenderness.

9. Remove the carrots, cabbage, onions and potatoes from the pressure cooking pot to the serving platter. 

10. If desired, strain the juices remaining in the pot, skim off the fat, and transfer to a gravy boat or bowl to ladle on top of the meat.