Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis for Fri, 25 Mar 2022

Comic Bot

On 3/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, Philander Seabury said:

Be that as it may, Rat is still sort of fun. :D

From https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/meet-the-cast

undefined

Rat

If beer, fame and himself didn't exist, Rat would hate everything. Rat is cynical, selfish, vain, quick to anger and prone to bouts of violence. Without Pig, the world would have given up on him long ago. He sometimes writes children's books.

:(

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

From https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/meet-the-cast

undefined

Rat

If beer, fame and himself didn't exist, Rat would hate everything. Rat is cynical, selfish, vain, quick to anger and prone to bouts of violence. Without Pig, the world would have given up on him long ago. He sometimes writes children's books.

Awesome - thanks!  !  I love the self deprecatingness of Stephen in his own profile, :D He is just an awesome cartoonist, and to think he used to be a lawyer.  I guess there must be some hope for them as a species after all! :D  I loved the interview I read of him where he talked aboot his respect for Charles Shulz and I think how nice Shulz was to him.  Hmm, I think I need to find that again! It was where I read that Pig is basically Charlie Brown, and I guess Rat must be Lucy, maybe Goat is Linus.  My favourite characters remain the Crocs and Zeba though. :D

• Heart 1

Here is an article, not sure if it was the same one as before - that will take some sirious dredging. :)

https://www.minnpost.com/artscape/2017/04/stephan-pastis-pearls-swine-learning-charles-schulz-and-bob-dylan-and-hiding-behind/

Cyclists have a very poor sense of humor.

The raison d'etre of the forum - to change that! :D

Reading through that article, that sonofabitch has one of the best attitudes I have ever encountered, :)

• Thank You 1

I like this:

Syndicated cartoonist Stephan Pastis is a rat.  And a pig, a goat, a crocodile and a zebra.  Creator of the popular daily comic strip “Pearls Before Swine,” he learned from Charles Schulz of “Peanuts” fame that the only way to write a fully dimensional character is to base it on some aspect of yourself, because you don’t know anybody else well enough.

So Rat, the main character in “Pearls,” is Pastis’ unfiltered id.  “He’s that voice we all have when somebody cuts you off on the freeway or takes advantage of you, or you’re on hold with your bank,”  Pastis said in conversation a week ago.  Pig is “the sweet, dumb, innocent, childlike part.”  Goat is “the part that reads all the time and is always trying to learn new stuff.”  Larry the Crocodile comes from a silly voice he used as a child, and put-upon Zebra is just trying to live his life, but everyone wants to eat him.

I never really thought about this before.  So likely all of Schulz's characters simply represent various parts of Schulz's own psyche.  Very interesting.  Much thanks.  :)

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I like this:

I never really thought about this before.  So likely all of Schulz's characters simply represent various parts of Schulz's own psyche.  Very interesting.  Much thanks.  :)

I could go on with this stuff all day. :D But Ruby is crawling all over me because she says she wants a walk before the rain hits! They say that Schulz had a lot of demons, so that reminds me of Hans Christian Anderson.  I highly recommend Striking 12 by GrooveLily.  My local radio station plays it every Christmas Eve at noon  It mentions Hans. :)  Or maybe it is NYE when they play it.  I am old and have an imprecise memory. :( 

• Thank You 1