Thief

Square Wheels

My wife puts on corn on the cob, dried corn and peanuts in the shell for them.  The tree rats and the blue jays have gang wars in our front yard.  It can get ugly.  Luckily neither gang carries guns, yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

My wife puts on corn on the cob, dried corn and peanuts in the shell for them.  The tree rats and the blue jays have gang wars in our front yard.  It can get ugly.  Luckily neither gang carries guns, yet.

Yup, I buy bags of corn cobs too.  The squirrels didn't read the memo on what's theirs.

We don't really care, if someone is hungry, they are welcome here.

• Awesome 1

The tree rats cleaned up all the hundreds of black walnuts in our yard. We will have walnut trees spring up everywhere again this year. They do eat some of them, I find the shells in the woodshed. Our tree rats are all pine squirrels but I guess they can’t resist a walnut when they find it. Our yard has thousands of pine cones all over it.

...it's virtually impossible to keep squirrels out of bird feeders, and I've tried a lot of different setups. 

Squirrels are not super intelligent, but they are pretty creative when it comes to accessing food.  Mostly, your average squirrel has a lot of time on his hands, to think about the problem of accessing that bird seed. I have seen them hanging upside down by their hind legs from the feeder roof, happily munching away, on a feeder that is designed to close a door preventing access, if they put any weight greater than a small bird on the perch for feeding.

But if you have been feeding birds for any length of time, you must know this.  I'm glad you are OK with it.  For a while, up in the foothills, I was not. So I ate a lot of my squirrels as stew.  There is probably a karmic burden associated with that and I will be reincarnated as a chipmunk. nttawwt