White coat hypertension

Parsnip Totin Jack

I swear I have this. I went to the doctor for a check on my BP and cholesterol. When I go in there, it’s always first thing in the morning. I’m fasting. And have to drive in rush hour traffic. The waiting room has a television on some real estate program and that always sets me off because I don’t usually have a tv on at home. My BP readings are always high. First one was 139/93. Wait a few minutes. Second reading is 134/85. Doctor wants me to take 5 mg of amlodipine in addition to 20 mg of lisinopril. I don’t want the other drug because I think the lisinopril is working fine. Yesterday, I gave blood. My BP was 117/75. I’m going to start taking daily readings at home. 

• Heart 3

I had this years ago, and I think I'm better now. Typically I'm 120/70 ish. But I have a funny story. Years ago, I was probably mid 20s, and rarely would go to the doc, and I don't like getting my BP check. Feeling the HR under the cuff wigs me oot. Anywho, the nurse checked my BP and I can't recall the reading, but it was scary high. Something like 150/105. The nurse freaked TF out :frantics: :D I'm not kidding. I said take it easy, and try again. I think on the second or third attempt it was normal ish.

• Heart 2

It’s a thing. My dr asked me to track my BO readings at home as we are generally more tense when coming into a Dr’s office.  

I’m still having weird issues with my BP meds in that my BP drops really low when I ride or do anything strenuous.  It’s especially bad on hot days. I just don’t take a pill when I know I’m riding now.

I blamed the rush hour traffic and people that don’t know how to drive on why my cardiologist always got normal or slightly below normal BP but when i took it at home it was always dangerously low. They had me on both those drugs supposedly to help my heart heal, not for blood pressure. I tried to tell them that Ace inhibitor and the beta blocker were going to do me in. Finally the second time I was hospitalized for low blood pressure the hospital doctor convinced my cardiologist to let me stop taking them. They were trying to give them to me in the hospital and I refused them. That's when they called my cardiologist.

• Hugs 1

I found this to be helpful.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-science-of-natural-healing

Episode 11 Treating High Blood Pressure Naturally

A surprisingly rich array of natural treatments is available to counteract high blood pressure. Review the startling statistics showing how blood pressure is lowered by both weight loss and reduced sodium intake. Also study the marked effects of foods, including garlic and seaweed, and micronutrients such as magnesium, vitamin D, and the enzyme CoQ10.

• Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It’s a thing. My dr asked me to track my BO readings at home as we are generally more tense when coming into a Dr’s office.  

I’m still having weird issues with my BP meds in that my BP drops really low when I ride or do anything strenuous.  It’s especially bad on hot days. I just don’t take a pill when I know I’m riding now.

You must really stink if you have to take meds for BO

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

I say take a daily BP readings at home under reasonable conditions and record each.  Don't be standing on your head, knocking back a pint of Yukon Jack, or any other weird stuff. You need to have credible evidence that the doctor will acknowledge so that he can change his advice. I read mine every day. I also take a bunch of stuff into my day like supplements and special food things to reduce my pressure. It looks like I am actually dropping a few points, which is good. I am still medicated.

18 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I swear I have this. I went to the doctor for a check on my BP and cholesterol. When I go in there, it’s always first thing in the morning. I’m fasting. And have to drive in rush hour traffic. The waiting room has a television on some real estate program and that always sets me off because I don’t usually have a tv on at home. My BP readings are always high. First one was 139/93. Wait a few minutes. Second reading is 134/85. Doctor wants me to take 5 mg of amlodipine in addition to 20 mg of lisinopril. I don’t want the other drug because I think the lisinopril is working fine. Yesterday, I gave blood. My BP was 117/75. I’m going to start taking daily readings at home. 

A fellow teacher who taught Biology in the classroom next to mine, Nancy, got infuriated because there were almost always long waiting times beyond her scheduled appointment times when going to see her doctor.  Her blood pressure would soar.  When the nurse taking it as soon as she got in the examination room mentioned how high it was, she said she'd say, "Wait 5 minutes while I calm down and take it again," and it was always much better.

Waiting like that never bothered me because it told me the doctor wasn't in a hurry to get done with his patients and would take the time needed with me.

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

When the nurse taking it as soon as she got in the examination room mentioned how high it was, she said she'd say, "Wait 5 minutes while I calm down and take it again," and it was always much better.

BP readings are supposed to be "resting".  All the instructions I have ever read for taking my own pressure was to sit down and rest for at least 3 minutes (5 is better) before taking your reading.  Doctors know this, but they will have you get up and walk through their office and hallways before bringing you into an exam room, where they almost immediately check your BP.  They should give you several minutes to calm down, but time is money, I guess.  My doctor will enter the room maybe ten minutes after the intitial reading, and if he thinks it is high, he will check it again, so all is good.  But the immediate test after entering the exam room is not a "resting" number and isn't valid, IMO.  

On 3/25/2022 at 2:40 PM, Old No. 7 said:

Yeah, me too. I started taking my BP with one of those auto-cuffs at 10 AM every day. Once in a while, it'd be up, but normally ~120/~80. I take a pic of each reading.

• Awesome 1