Our nearly free television died after 11 years.

JerrySTL

Remember when we paid similar prices for a tubed 25” TV back in the day?   

My wife worked for MDEA (Mitsubishi Electronics) and we won a TV in a holiday raffle.  It lasted quiet a while but it eventually died a few years back.  We got a Samsung TV at Costco and it’s been rock solid. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Remember when we paid similar prices for a tubed 25” TV back in the day?   

My wife worked for MDEA (Mitsubishi Electronics) and we won a TV in a holiday raffle.  It lasted quiet a while but it eventually died a few years back.  We got a Samsung TV at Costco and it’s been rock solid. 

Sony was the king of picture tubes.  In the flat screen world they have been suffering economically because their competitors are sourcing parts from lower cost suppliers.  China became the hot bed of flat screen tech and manufacturing.  Folks won't pay Sony enough for the old superb tech they were famous for.

1 hour ago, Load of Butts said:

How did Samsung become the unquestioned best tv manufacturer in all the land?  Sony used to be it, but they dropped way the hell out of contention there.

Sony & Samsung are both great.

I have a Sony that's 32 years old and still working (its my bedroom TV)

My living room Sony is 16 years old.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sony was the king of picture tubes.  In the flat screen world they have been suffering economically because their competitors are sourcing parts from lower cost suppliers.  China became the hot bed of flat screen tech and manufacturing.  Folks won't pay Sony enough for the old superb tech they were famous for.

both of my Sony's are tubes :) 

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Eleven years ago WoJSTL got an email at work saying that she won a TV in a raffle. She didn't remember entering a raffle; however, she found out that when she made a $100 donation to the hospital's charity, she was entered into the raffle. We picked up the TV and it was huge - 55". Our family room is long and narrow like a rectangle so we couldn't really mount it on a wall as it would be over the fireplace. When unpacking it, we found that one corner was smashed when someone obviously dropped it.

So we took it back and asked for a smaller TV. Instead they gave us a 60" this time. We had to buy a coffee table to put it on.

A couple of months ago it started acting strange. If you shut it off, it would turn itself back on. I even pulled batteries from the remote to see if it was malfunctioning. Then the picture would freeze at times. Finally yesterday the picture wouldn't come on - just the sound. Even things like the menu display wouldn't show.

I could have ordered a Consumer Reports top rated TV and waited a few days. WoJSTL wasn't having any of that. She wanted one NOW. So we went to Walmart late last night and bought a good Smasung TV for about half the price of what I wanted - $543. Smart TV with a lot of bells and whistles. Took me a few hours to get it set up. It needed a couple of software updates. It does look better than the old TV as it's 4K.

It's a 55" TV.

My new TV, moving back into my house last June, worked for 0 minutes!

I got a 65" inch Smart 4K Samsung TV for $599.99 + $36 tax at Costco including a 5 year warranty and my BiL and I loaded the box flat into his pickup truck bed and brought to my house a few days before I was going to move in last June.

I had already put together the TV stand and had Verizon come out while workmen were finishing up and hook up the Fios Triple Option so I'd have TV, Internet, and Phone as soon as I moved in.

So I we set up the new TV and the sound was fine - but NO picture!  I kept hearing instructions to follow the screen instructions, so I knew the screen was supposed to be on!

So I moved into the house using my brother's 17" TV - which I had put in the house in case the Verizon Fios installer needed a TV.  A workman on the house said, "I used to have a job delivering TV's and we never laid it flat: the screen materials could easily separate when we hit a bump."

So my BiL and I took the bad one back to Costco, were given a new one, and we took it out to the truck.  We could not figure a way the box was more stable standing up than lying down so we laid it flat again and I told him to take the slightly longer, main road to my house because there were virtually no bumps and no potholes in the roads.

Nervously, we set it up, turned it on, and it worked fine!  Oh happy day!

• Heart 2

On 3/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, Load of Butts said:

Sony used to be it,

LG and Sony both have OLED TVs for a while now.  IMHO OLED has the best picture, and best viewing angles.  My living room has a 55 inch LG OLED.   Our family room has a old 50 inch Panasonic plasma which also has great viewing angles and still has a good picture, but not as good as the LG OLED.  When the Panasonic dies, a 55 (or a bit larger) LG OLED will be it's replacement. 

It looks like Samsung also now has a OLED TV (QLED is not the same al OLED)  Samsung has had QLED for a while. 

My bedroom tv was acting a bit wonky so I ordered a new one.  It seems harder to find a small (20-24 inch) tv than a big one, but I only wanted a smaller one for the bedroom.  I got it up and working, but had trouble with the Peacock app, but finally was able to figure out the problem (user error). 

• Heart 1