It’s here!

groupw

Just now, groupw said:

Nice! That’s one of the next things on my list!

...I was pretty satisfied with the Smith helment I had before, but even though I bought exactly the same size (large adult), this one is smaller in total head capacity.  It fits, but only just barely, when the old one had room to spare in terms of adjustment. I think it might be the different new MIPS lining. Teh old one was MIPS, but had none of the collapsible honeycomb stuff.  I bought it online from REI, but I should have gone over there and tried one on first.

58 minutes ago, groupw said:

Next will probably be Pink Floyd “Dark Side of the Moon” as an audio test and because I love the album!

Excellent choice. I can still remember the first time I heard it.

Does your receiver have a phono input, or did you have to go the pre-amp / adapter way?

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Excellent choice. I can still remember the first time I heard it.

Does your receiver have a phono input, or did you have to go the pre-amp / adapter way?

I’m using my 40 year old JVC amp at the moment. Old school built in pre-amp. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

When I last bought a receiver, I had trouble finding one with a phono input. I think that was around 30 years ago.

Onkyo sells basic stereo receivers with phono preamps. We used them at the record store. I switched to Onkyo for my home theater system when JVC started selling garbage. This may sound silly, but they seem more musical than other brands. Hard to describe until you compare them. 

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

This is one area I gladly embrace the present for. My music comes from streaming audio or video. 

Agree.  But it's got a cool factor to it.  The wife is a huge Eric Church fan.  Would be cool to get his albums all on vinyl to give to her for a christmas/birthday gift.  But then you would need a player.  Then speakers.  Then amp.... It's a slippery slope!  

• Haha 1

Just now, Parr8hed said:

Agree.  But it's got a cool factor to it.  The wife is a huge Eric Church fan.  Would be cool to get his albums all on vinyl to give to her for a christmas/birthday gift.  But then you would need a player.  Then speakers.  Then amp.... It's a slippery slope!  

I do miss filling the room with sound but my wife rarely let me do that anyhoo so headphones it is. But like live music it feels great to let the sound waves wash over your whole body. :)

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

This is one area I gladly embrace the present for. My music comes from streaming audio or video. 

I stream music, too. I just find the process involved in playing vinyl makes it a more engaging experience. There is something about selecting the album, pulling it from the sleeve, cleaning the album, then dropping the needle. It makes me feel more involved. I also purposely chose a turntable that is completely manual so I have to pay attention to when the side ends or else the needle will just play the out loop over and over 

• Awesome 3

29 minutes ago, groupw said:

I stream music, too. I just find the process involved in playing vinyl makes it a more engaging experience. There is something about selecting the album, pulling it from the sleeve, cleaning the album, then dropping the needle. It makes me feel more involved. I also purposely chose a turntable that is completely manual so I have to pay attention to when the side ends or else the needle will just play the out loop over and over 

💯

mr. and I gave all of our vinyl to his daughter’s first husband. I almost asked for it back when they divorced, but he’s okay. 

• Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, groupw said:

Yeah it seems it’s more about the experience when you play vinyl.

I didn’t have the collection you have but gave most of my records to my BIL some years ago. I chucked the tuner but still have the turntable & a few records in my garage.  Anymore I stream music off my tablet to a Bluetooth speaker.  It works for me. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah it seems it’s more about the experience when you play vinyl.

I didn’t have the collection you have but gave most of my records to my BIL some years ago. I chucked the tuner but still have the turntable & a few records in my garage.  Anymore I stream music off my tablet to a Bluetooth speaker.  It works for me. 

I bought WoW a Bose Bluetooth speaker for her office. We also use it on the patio a lot. There is a time and place for it all. It’s when people tell me their Bluetooth speaker and streaming is “just as good” that they lose credibility. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I like the Ferraris.

My SIL worked for a company that made promotional items. They are best known for making Happy Meal toys, but they do things for other companies as well. These were part of a 50th anniversary celebration for Ferrari by Shell. There were the 2 1/18th scale you see there and several 1/35 to 1/43 scale diecasts as well. She gave me the whole collection for Christmas that year. 
The Schumacher F1 I bought somewhere else. When my son and I were in Montreal, there was a lady selling watercolors including several F1 paintings. We got a Ferrari, BMW and Jordan. The Ferrari was my son’s choice. We agreed to keep them as a set and he will get them in the future. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

First I ever heared of a Jordan car. Cool!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Motor_Car_Company

More like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Grand_Prix

The only thing they had in common was founders name Eddie Jordan and they liked to stand out in a crowd. The modern Eddie is Irish and loves a party! The last several years the cars were the brightest yellow I have ever seen! When we saw them in person one of my friends commented “it’s like they turned the volume down on the rest of the world”