Etymology can be fun, but Epistemology is probably more useful - Hoosegow

Ralphie

I got to wondering aboot its etymology, and this was a satisfying answer. :)

https://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hoo1.htm

But even though it is interesting, what is the point really?  Epistemology though is critical - how do we know what we know?  Rummie would have made an excellent professor of such. :D Just like another defense guy, Vannevar Bush, predicted the internet and computing devices, maybe Rummie is on the trail of a more advanced way to verify statements. Snopes is the prototype!

I just thought of one positive - it is basically history, which the older I get the more I appreciate.  It is pretty fascinating to see how humans have navigated through the years and how there is little that is new under the sun.

• Awesome 2

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I got to wondering aboot its etymology, and this was a satisfying answer. :)

https://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hoo1.htm

But even though it is interesting, what is the point really?  Epistemology though is critical - how do we know what we know?  Rummie would have made an excellent professor of such. :D Just like another defense guy, Vannevar Bush, predicted the internet and computing devices, maybe Rummie is on the trail of a more advanced way to verify statements. Snopes is the prototype!

I just thought of one positive - it is basically history, which the older I get the more I appreciate.  It is pretty fascinating to see how humans have navigated through the years and how there is little that is new under the sun.

It is spanich!  Juzgado is court.  Juzgao is prison.  Nvm, I just opened your link.

• Awesome 2

You know, I have gone for a very long time without knowing of the existence of "epistemology" and the pertinent facts surrounding it and its study. Also, for the first time in my life, I curse the ground someone walks upon. I offer a generous thank you, @Philander Seabury. One that is devoid of any personal affection or meaning. 

https://campuspress.yale.edu/keithderose/what-is-epistemology/

...whenever I hear about "epistomology" now, I am like, totally reminded of that guy who writes a column for the NY Times, John McWhorter.

He has managed to like, totally ruin the subject for me, in the short time he has been in the public eye. :(  

I would not like him
Here or there.
I would not like him
Anywhere.
I do not like
McWhorter's spam,
I do not like him,
Sam-I-am

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

I prefer eschatology. 

First I ever heared of that!  Good subject for both etymology and epistemology!  Here is the easy one. :D

Etymology

The word "eschatology" arises from the Greek ἔσχατος éschatos meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of", and first appeared in English around 1844.[3] The Oxford English Dictionary defines eschatology as "the part of theology concerned with death, judgment, and the final destiny of the soul and of humankind".[4]

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

This word is Norwegian in origin, from the word eschathissolf.

Eschat =evacuation of the lower intestine and ology = study --> The science and study of people who crap in their pants.

That would be Scatology. Are you saying end times study is a load of crap?