Pizza Sauce compared to Pasta (Spaghetti) Sauce and high-rated Pizza Sauces

MickinMD

Pizza sauces and a probable fake on Amazon!

When I told my sister how I made my homemade pizza and first baked the crust, brushed on both sides with olive oil, alone for 5 minutes so it would have just the right crispness baking at 450° on a pizza pan, she said, "You lost me at 'spaghetti sauce'."

Her husband (the one who's doing well after having a lung lobe removed) also uses an automatic breadmaker to make pizza at home, but always uses pizza sauce.

So I looked up the difference.  Basically pizza sauce is mostly pureed crushed tomatoes and a small number of other ingredients and it's uncooked or very lightly cooked because you cook it on the pizza in the oven.  Pasta sauce is tomatoes plus a lot of other ingredients and it's pre-cooked because you don't normally cook it while you cook the pasta.

That's got me wondering if I should use pizza sauce instead of Prego Pasta Sauce when I make lasagna and bake it in an oven at 375° for an hour.

So I decided to buy pizza sauce.  The jars at a local supermarket were $2.09 to $2.39 for 14 oz. bottles.

So I looked for reviews and then check prices on Amazon.

Contadina (made by Del Monte) Pizza Sauce is on a lot of "Top 5 pizza sauces" lists, has a 4.7 out of 5 rating and 81% of reviewers gave it a 5 and another 10% a 4!

It also comes in 15 oz cans - I use 7.5 to 8 oz. of sauce on my homemade 12" pizzas so it's perfect - and is really cheap on Amazon in 12 packs with no MD state tax (it's a food) and no shipping costs if you have Prime. That's $1.98 per 24 oz and a 24 oz jar of Prego pasta sauce is $2.39 these days in my supermarkets.  So after it arrives today I have enough pizza sauce for months to make 24 pizzas minus what I'll try out on lasagna.

1501823158_ContadinaPizzaSauce-cookedoverlowheattothicken.thumb.JPG.7ed1d1ec821d43f4c4bb33116eacc1da.JPG

The number #1 selling pizza sauce is the ridiculously overpriced, only 12.5 oz, and relatively low-rated (4.1 out of 5 starts, 58% 5-stars and 16% 4-stars compared to 4.7, 81% and 10% for Contadina) Yo Mama's. I guess if you put "Keto," "Paleo," "Gluten Free," and "Non-GMO" in the title, it's easy to rip-off some people.  I quickly passed on that one!

image.thumb.png.216435a006fd83095d0a114c6861639c.png

One often top rated sauce in reviews is Don Pepino (4.7 out of 5 stars on Amazon, 85% 5's and 9% 4's), which is also inexpensive on Amazon and also has what looks like a fake version on another page that tries to discredit this one. THIS is the real Don Pepino, but there's a answered question on this product's page that quotes the company makes it, BG Foods, as saying - while spelling Don Pepino wrong  - that it only makes 15 oz. cans of pizza sauce.  But if you go to the BG Foods webpage, it only shows 14.5 oz and 28 oz cans!  Apparently, that is a fake answer intending to lead people to what must be a copycat page (next pic below) of 15 oz. Don Pepino pizza sauce at a very high price (pic below)

1073696940_DonPepinono.1ratedsauce-REAL14_5oz.stuff.thumb.JPG.5fc30b9c2c3e92b5be722a12c38a28cd.JPG

This is apparently a fake, copycat version of Don Pepino: there is no 15 oz can, just 14.5 and 28 oz, on the manufacturer's webpage.  I reported the potential fakery on the "Report incorrect product information" button below, but I doubt if Amazon gives a shit.

1375888025_DonPepinoFAKE15oz.stuff.thumb.JPG.e2ffe9cca03312eced0c7310a67c7c63.JPG

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I use a pizza sauce made by a local pizza chain and sold in our grocery stores...I should check the sodium content..but..I like it..I dont think it is salty...I feel like my homemade pizza is much healthier than frozen or delivery.

As long as you don’t have to watch your saturated fat and cholesterol. You use a lot of cheese on your pizza.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

We have a pizza stone. Used it a few times. Meh… Not feeling the pizza at home vibe. I almost gave mr. an Omni outdoor pizza over for his birthday. Maybe burned wood smell will prompt some vibe. 

I know me, and all that gear is fussy as hell.  You practically have to build an addition to house all the extra gear, plus you have to plan a year in advance and warm the stone up and such.  I am sure the results are wonderful, but I’ll do it the much easier way and use a cookie sheet or pizza pan. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Load of Butts said:

Crushed tomatoes is the basis of pizza sauce.  Just get that and add what you want or nothing at all. All I add is pepper, dried oregano and dried basil.  Sometimes olive oil. Sometimes a bit of salt.  

it tastes nice and bright and no sodium or tons, depends on what you want.  So easy, you’ll wonder wth you’d ever buy sauce.  

Nonna? Is that you?

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

A 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes is $0.99 at my grocer. Everything else I need for pizza sauce is in my kitchen. Crushed garlic heated in olive oil, add tomatoes, heat to warm. Turn off heat. Add Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. It’s really better than canned pizza sauce. 140 mg sodium per serving. 

• Heart 3

16 hours ago, Longjohn said:

FIFY

After school lunch nutrition requirements changed, the school where I worked had to change their pizza vendor. They’d been selling Dion’s, a local chain (and Mosey family favorite). Dion’s said they cannot make a crust that falls within the guidelines. Cheese was ok because it’s dairy; sauce was ok because it’s vegetable. Green chili on top, too. The students loved this slice. But Dion’s couldn’t make the limits for sodium and fat. Which is stupid because there was a whole vending machine of Gatorade and Pepsi products, and another of Takis and Pop-tarts, Sun Chips, Doritos, etc. The kids were outraged. 

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

After school lunch nutrition requirements changed, the school where I worked had to change their pizza vendor. They’d been selling Dion’s, a local chain (and Mosey family favorite). Dion’s said they cannot make a crust that falls within the guidelines. Cheese was ok because it’s dairy; sauce was ok because it’s vegetable. Green chili on top, too. The students loved this slice. But Dion’s couldn’t make the limits for sodium and fat. Which is stupid because there was a whole vending machine of Gatorade and Pepsi products, and another of Takis and Pop-tarts, Sun Chips, Doritos, etc. The kids were outraged. 

Boosters used to make a killing at sports events when our school pulled the candy & soda vending machines.  Kids would line up at our snack bar and not even stay for the game! 

• Heart 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Longjohn said:

So did you try it? I prefer spaghetti sauce on my pizzas I make. I haven’t made pizza since I’m restricting sodium. My wife worked in a restaurant that used Pizza sauce on their spaghetti.

I made two 12" pizza (three suppers) in about a week with spaghetti sauce, so it will probably be another week or so before I try it on pizza and a little longer on lasagna.

I'm finishing up a few days of leftovers then doing Martha Stewart stew and Corned Beef and Veggies.

Then I'll do another pizza.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 3/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, petitepedal said:

I use a pizza sauce made by a local pizza chain and sold in our grocery stores...I should check the sodium content..but..I like it..I dont think it is salty...I feel like my homemade pizza is much healthier than frozen or delivery.

Here's a comparison of the key things in the Pizza Sauce I'm going to use and the Spaghetti Sauce I've been using.

The Pizza Sauce has less calories and fat, but more carbs and a lot more Na.

image.thumb.png.3f8a626b970e954aabac4b25aa2c2a7c.png

Here's a comparison of my 12" Meatball, Turkey Pepperoni, and Onion Pizza with Papa John's 12" Meatball and Pepperoni Pizza.  Mine has significantly less crust - no thick crust at the edge, and MORE pepperoni and meatballs plus onion that Papa John's doesn't have.  I may have a little less mozzarella but I don't skimp: 5 oz. per pizza.

Even with the extra hit of salt from pizza sauce, 2/3 of the pizza (my dinner) is 1825 mg Na vs 3200 mg Na for Papa John's. I have significantly fewer calories and carbs and more fiber, and 2/3 of a pizza costs me $2.52 total vs $8.50 for 2/3 of Papa John's.

image.thumb.png.faf17efbc83314003bd18742cd56000d.png

• Heart 1

You bastards made me want pizza all day, so I just put it in the oven.

Homemade dough, homemade sauce, fresh mushrooms (I am out of canned), fresh asparagus, fresh onion, fresh red pepper strips, kalamata olive shreds, whole milk/low moisture deli-sliced mozzarella.  I am expecting great things from this pizza.

• Awesome 1