Get up, you bastards!

Ralphie

On my second cup of tea..while checking out the net washing dishes and slowly picking up around the house.  Eventually...the tea will be done and I will have all the news & info I need for an hour or two and I will kick butt on the dusting and vacuuming....then it  will be one last store run...a nap, some cooking and a shower.....I panic...but my timelines tend to work out.

Buffalo Chicken Dip for the meat & cheese people....and mushroom pate' for the vegetarian, dairy free folks...red & white wine (I opened the red last night...first time in years I lost a portion of the cork to the bottle (no wonder it was on sale...very brittle cork)  I need some sparkling water and maybe some hard cider as other options....beer people have been told to BYOB.

A lovely day..temps started out already in the 50's....they say we will be a good 20 degrees cooler on our days by Halloween!!

On my second cup of tea..while checking out the net washing dishes and slowly picking up around the house.  Eventually...the tea will be done and I will have all the news & info I need for an hour or two and I will kick butt on the dusting and vacuuming....then it  will be one last store run...a nap, some cooking and a shower.....I panic...but my timelines tend to work out.

Buffalo Chicken Dip for the meat & cheese people....and mushroom pate' for the vegetarian, dairy free folks...red & white wine (I opened the red last night...first time in years I lost a portion of the cork to the bottle (no wonder it was on sale...very brittle cork)  I need some sparkling water and maybe some hard cider as other options....beer people have been told to BYOB.

A lovely day..temps started out already in the 50's....they say we will be a good 20 degrees cooler on our days by Halloween!!

Mmmm, wine!  Enjoy your party, petite - sounds nice!

We have a system. My wife rakes the leaves out of the beds onto the grass, and I disapear them......... With the recycling mower. :whistle:

There were way too many this time to hit them with the mower... the leaves were 8 times higher then the inlet for the mulched... I just used the leaf blower and put them in the neighbors yard :)

Damnit. I knew I should have taken more pics. Anyway, this is the wort about 4 1/2 hours after brewing. The bubbles on top are probably still leftovers from aeration. But the yeast ARE already working their magic. There IS air lock activity.

It's going to be a session IPA. It's going to be more "sessionable" than originally intended; I missed my original gravity. In my defense, I boiled with a new kettle today, and it has a very different dimension than the one I have been using the past few years. I expected a lot more boil-off than I got. And on top of that, I really don't know how much wort I collected since this new kettle doesn't have any gallon markings. (my husband and I were discussing how we are going to fix that)

This beer features Chinook hops a gentleman who lives about a mile from me grows in his back yard. I am an IPA girl, and I love Chinook! I hope this turns out well; I'd like to share a couple with him. He also gave me some Fuggles hops he grows. He gave me a nifty English Mild recipe that uses those Fuggles; I may brew that up too. 

So ya. It's not beer yet; but give those yeast a few days, and we'll have a nice little IPA.

• Heart 1

What?!  Beer only takes a few days?  Marvelous!

Oh, and LW, I picked up some New Holland Poet Oatmeal Stout today.

Excellent.  It'a a very sessionable stout, good full flavor without being overly heavy.  I've already had my first six of that for the season; I just picked up my second of this.

myan-mocha-final-print.png

• Heart 1

Well, legally as soon as you "pitch" the yeast, it's beer. Technically, it's beer once the yeast have consumed and "processed" all the sugars they will eat. Actually, you want to give them another couple weeks to clean up after themselves.

I also think I'm going to dry hop this beer. (It IS an IPA, after all.) I may rush it a bit. I usually have a grain-to-glass timeline of 6 weeks for an IPA. I'm thinking 4 this time. No reason, just for fun.

Dry hop means it doesn't go into the boil. It is added after all fermentation is done. Toss the hop pellets or cones directly into the fermentor for 3-7 days before bottling. It's basically an aroma addition. SO important to pour your beer in to a glass and take in a whiff before imbibing. Sometimes the aroma is so awesome, I can't stop sucking up the aroma before taking a drink. Mmmmm, IPA's are awesome that way.

Dry hop means it doesn't go into the boil. It is added after all fermentation is done. Toss the hop pellets or cones directly into the fermentor for 3-7 days before bottling. It's basically an aroma addition. SO important to pour your beer in to a glass and take in a whiff before imbibing. Sometimes the aroma is so awesome, I can't stop sucking up the aroma before taking a drink. Mmmmm, IPA's are awesome that way.

Interesting! I am more of a fan of the IPA smell than the taste really.  Sometimes the aroma of pine is awesome!  (One reason that gin with its juniper aroma is something I like so much)

I think after some rumination that I like my lighter beers more smooth, like a Kolsch or pilsner.  Sort of 'splains why the American lager is so darn popular - it does go down smooth, to quote Lake Street Dive :D  But I can tolerate more bitterness in a heavier brew, like say an oatmeal stout or ESB.  But one IPA that I do appreciate is Dogfish Head 60 Minute,  Their 90 and 120 are ones that take some gradual assimilation for me - I know they must be good, but sort of like coffee, definitely an acquired taste.

Another aside on the non-taste attributes of beer.  Being able to see it is so important to me that I HATE opaque containers like steins or bottles.  It is a crime against beer to drink a beer unseen.  So it is hard for me to understand how the Germans can use those gosh-darn tankards!

Yes, I agree it's more of an acquired taste. I hated hoppy beers at first. Then I tried Founders' Harvest Ale (a wet-hopped beer). After that, I was hooked!

Usually stouts aren't very bitter. However, an ESB is an English style beer "Extra Special Bitter." It's a little on the hoppy side. But not as hoppy as my IPA is projected to be! (keeping fingers crossed!)

Smudge, your beer making sounds fun.  I wish I liked beer.  I just don't drink alcohol much at all. It makes me feel awful.  Even just having one messes me up the next morning.

Of course,I have had my moments when I have gotten wasted and danced on tables.  I try to keep it to only a couple times a year. HAHA

• Heart 1

Smudge, your beer making sounds fun.  I wish I liked beer.  I just don't drink alcohol much at all. It makes me feel awful.  Even just having one messes me up the next morning.

Of course,I have had my moments when I have gotten wasted and danced on tables.  I try to keep it to only a couple times a year. HAHA

Your liver thanks you!  :D

Ya, I don't drink much. Kind of a bummer. I can make a great batch of beer (and some not so great!); but since I don't drink much, some of it gets too old and end up going down the drain. I love brewing tho. And I really enjoy having a beer I like. With the explosion of craft breweries, it's not such a big thing to know how to make your own beer any more. But I still love the process. 

Ya, I don't drink much. Kind of a bummer. I can make a great batch of beer (and some not so great!); but since I don't drink much, some of it gets too old and end up going down the drain. I love brewing tho. And I really enjoy having a beer I like. With the explosion of craft breweries, it's not such a big thing to know how to make your own beer any more. But I still love the process. 

personally I like to make my own.. There are times that I make a better beer then the companies out there..

The process is fun, Both my boys enjoy brewing and also wine making. They do not care for the process of moonshine :(

I told then this is not just a great thing to learn, but you might one day find yourself as a brewmaster.. stranger things have happened :)

Yes, I agree it's more of an acquired taste. I hated hoppy beers at first. Then I tried Founders' Harvest Ale (a wet-hopped beer). After that, I was hooked!

Usually stouts aren't very bitter. However, an ESB is an English style beer "Extra Special Bitter." It's a little on the hoppy side. But not as hoppy as my IPA is projected to be! (keeping fingers crossed!)

I have the original Founder's/Alger Cyclery Harvest Ale team jersey.  No longer in production.  Not a hoppy beer fan myself, but I love the jersey.