So, the Oscars were…interesting.

MoseySusan

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Looks like someone can’t take a joke. Didn’t Will once make his living being funny?

I actually thought it was staged, until they cut to Will saying “keep my wife’s name out” of your jokes.

Not all jokes are funny.  Sometimes folks step over the line and it's good to see that sometimes they are held accountable.  In the post internet world we sometimes say things that would get us punched in the nose if said in person.

• Heart 4

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Because he joked that she she dressed like she was in a GI Jane movie? I don’t see that as warranting a response of any kind, let alone a physical assault.

Perhaps you are unaware that she has a medical condition that caused her to loose her hair and that it wasn't voluntary to be bald.

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Because he joked that she she dressed like she was in a GI Jane movie? I don’t see that as warranting a response of any kind, let alone a physical assault.

Because she is suffering from alopecia and has very little hair. Joking about an illness is not funny. 

• Heart 4

6 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Because she is suffering from alopecia and has very little hair. Joking about an illness is not funny. 

This.

in additional to being abusive, it is totally off subject - the awards/accomplishment. It really detracted from what was Will Smiths hour with misplaced humor.

43 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Looks like someone can’t take a joke. Didn’t Will once make his living being funny?

I actually thought it was staged, until they cut to Will saying “keep my wife’s name out” of your jokes.

Smells like a set up for something to me.  Somehow they will both make a few million off of this. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Perhaps you are unaware that she has a medical condition that caused her to loose her hair and that it wasn't voluntary to be bald.

You’re right, I missed that. I thought it was a joke about her clothes, which every modern host has joked about.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

This.

in additional to being abusive, it is totally off subject - the awards/accomplishment. It really detracted from what was Will Smiths hour with misplaced humor.

• Heart 1

Honest, I would not expect my man to hit another guy to defend me from an insult/inappropriate remark... unless that other guy was to rape me.

I don't think this sets a good example. And seems to give this impression of defending a woman by physical assault just because another guy verbally insulted a woman. It's kinda of old-fashioned. (yes, I  know alot of women would jump me. )

(which means I've gotten plenty of insults in my lifetime, with no one else around to defend me).

• Heart 1

Unpopular opinion incoming

The joke was fine, off-color, but fine. A joke is exactly that; a fucking joke. Comedians joke about Nazis, fat people, religions, disease and even dead babies. Nothing Chris Rock said was over the line. 

Now onto the unpopular opinion about Will Smith: He doesn't have a problem when is wife is unfaithful, sleeps with other men, then airs her infidelity all over the press to garner support for herself but takes a cheap shot at someone who has the poise and professionalism to take it without escalating. Will Smith is a coddled bitch.

But at the end of the day, two successful men embarrassed themselves for likes and twitter posts and a supposed auspicious occasion continued it's trend to oblivion. 

• Heart 2

So much more to talk about other than Smith and Rock. 
-“a place for us” to be queer 

-The Dune-iverse is technically sublime, but void of award-winning acting

-video streaming companies legit connect audiences to stories that matter

-Encanto wins. RG was WRONG. 

• Haha 1

And Timothee… We’ve become accustomed to couture that artfully wraps the body and shows lots of skin. A bare midriff, plenty of shoulder and décolleté enhanced by gemstones. He hit all the right notes in an “ice dancer jacket” without a shirt and white gold necklaces. 

I didn't watch because I hadn't seen any of the movies and didn't know who most of the people are anyway. I did record it just in case anything happened that I wanted to see (like when they announced the wrong winner) or a good In Memoriam segment.  I replayed the segment and it was odd.  I think Rock's joke was really inappropriate.  It was just mocking her for an illness that is especially hard for women.   It's fair game to joke about a person's words or actions, but this was just joking about a physical problem she can't change.  But right after the joke Will is seen laughing, and then he gets up and slaps Chris.  If he had time to think about it, he should have realized a physical assault is not the right response (plus he made the joke front page news when it otherwise would have gone unnoticed by most of the world given recent ratings for the Oscars).   Plus more people will know he slapped Rock than will remember he won his first Oscar.

Two people behaving badly.

• Heart 4

I’m glad Encanto won.  I watched it with CJ recently (it’s the only thing he wants to watch on TV) and honestly loved the movie.  The songs are  really well done and the story is engaging.

Yeah it’s a cartoon but if you have some time to kill I recommend it.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

Ok, but how is that connected to anything Chris Rock said, though?  I am not up on what is widely known or not widely known about celebrities.  It just looked to me like CR made a joke about what I suppose was a really bad movie, is that not right?  Public figures get talked about and all, so I don't know wth is going on

Someone will have to explain this one to me.

IT was all a show by good actors.. I got to watch the slow down of the slap.. it was all finger tips and drama due to trying to get higher ratings and more people to tune in.. The questions is "why was this really done" 
Personally Will was laughing, when he was on stage, everyone in the audience was laughing, and then like they were told they all went quiet after Will sat down and said something for the second time... totally scripted. 

2 minutes ago, Load of Butts said:

Ok, but how is that connected to anything Chris Rock said, though?  I am not up on what is widely known or not widely known about celebrities.  It just looked to me like CR made a joke about what I suppose was a really bad movie, is that not right?  Public figures get talked about and all, so I don't know wth is going on

Someone will have to explain this one to me.

GI Jane was that movie where a female (Demi Moore) goes through SEAL training and in the movie shaves her head.  So the reference was to the buzzed hair look.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

GI Jane was that movie where a female (Demi Moore) goes through SEAL training and in the movie shaves her head.  So the reference was to the buzzed hair look.

I thought there was a “you’re a strong woman” truth behind the joke. 

Just saw in the morning news that there was a wardrobe malfunction last night. When Will Smith was giving his award speech the cameras cut to the Williams sisters but had to put up a Oscars Screen with no live footage.  Apparently the way Venus was sitting with her arms across her chest it squeezed the breasts together  so there wasn’t enough fabric to cover a nipple that was poking out.

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Nah man I liked it. But it’s a freaking kids movie, it’s not high drama so you gotta go into it with that expectation. 

I actually had good expectations and was happy when it came out until I saw it.  Here is my original review, and I thought I was pretty reserved when I wrote it:  

2 minutes ago, Load of Butts said:

I actually had good expectations and was happy when it came out until I saw it.  Here is my original review, and I thought I was pretty reserved when I wrote it:  

Well I guess we’ll disagree.  I thought the songs were awesome.

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

How about Dune

So loud…so much a rip-off of Star Wars shapes…so little actual acting…so much gay menace…so very incomplete story. I was sad it won six Oscars. 

I was super excited for it but have yet brought myself to watch it.

Love the novels and personally loved the TV miniseries with William Hurd, even if it was a little discombobulated with each scene being seemingly separate from the episode as a whole.

I'll watch the movie soon and will probably like it. I've learned to just enjoy films and not expect anything to critical from my childhood. 

I stopped watching those awards shows when they stopped being about awards and everybody showed up with a "cause".  They're trained to act, so they act like they care about anyone else.

Eh, who am I kidding, I never watched those shows, can't stand all those privledged people fake fawning over each other for hours when the only thing worthwhile is which woman tried hardest to expose her naughty bits and I can see that on the internet the next day.

2 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Unpopular opinion incoming

The joke was fine, off-color, but fine. A joke is exactly that; a fucking joke. Comedians joke about Nazis, fat people, religions, disease and even dead babies. Nothing Chris Rock said was over the line. 

Now onto the unpopular opinion about Will Smith: He doesn't have a problem when is wife is unfaithful, sleeps with other men, then airs her infidelity all over the press to garner support for herself but takes a cheap shot at someone who has the poise and professionalism to take it without escalating. Will Smith is a coddled bitch.

But at the end of the day, two successful men embarrassed themselves for likes and twitter posts and a supposed auspicious occasion continued it's trend to oblivion. 

Perhaps that's what I meant about the post internet world.  Sad.  IMO jokes about dead babies are not really funny.

My drunk stepdad was about as racist with his comments as a man could be and his answer when called on it was always "just joking".  He was an ass.

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

How about Dune

So loud…so much a rip-off of Star Wars shapes…so little actual acting…so much gay menace…so much fetishized brown women…so very incomplete story. I was sad it won six Oscars. 

“What do you despise? By this are you truly known.”

--from "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan”

...I think "Dune" did well because it is the first comprehensible movie to come out of the Frank Herbert trilogy, which is massive and doesn't lend itself well to two hour movies. Previous movie attempt at capturing the world of Arrakis have been a jumble of failure and confusion. Also, Hollywood big budget movie making is dying a slow but unmistakable death on the world stage, and this movie has some obvious sequel potential.

I loved the books when I was a kid. I didn't watch the Oscars show, but I think it's cool someone finally bitch slapped someone on live TV.

• Heart 1

I saw the reruns, including the audio blanked out on the telecast.

I haven't cared for Chris Rock since he was on "Finding Your Roots" with Henry Louis Gates Jr. on PBS.  Gates said, "You're basically a Black man, but you have a White man's Y-chromosome," and Chris Rock was clearly so disgusted with having any White genetics I thought he was going to vomit.  He screamed about "That White man who raped my Black ancestor" - despite the fact the White man was clearly also his ancestor and it been clearly pointed out the man had married his Black ancestor and they lived together as husband and wife and raised children together until death parted them.  I was pretty shocked and disgusted.

Chris Rock's cruel joke about Jada Smith (though it's not clear if he knew she had short hair because of a medical issue) - which follows a history of saying cruel things about her - was awful by itself, but Will Smith was even more in the wrong both ethically and strategically by slapping him for another dig at his wife.

It detracted from the event and from the celebratory mood as people who were nominated or won for the only times in their lives had their once-in-a-lifetime event ruined by Smith, not Rock.  If Smith had not slapped Rock, the media today would be condemning Rock instead of saying how well he recovered and went on and did a good job.

....by far the best Oscar winner in this year's crop (IMO), got his award presented in the "off camera" Oscars they did to try and shorten up the show. It's available right now for viewing free on the NY Times, and is a a 20 minute delight to watch and enjoy there. Here is his award presentation, as it happened. I'm guessing he doesn't care that he was not included in the live broadcast, because his film is gonna get a big audience.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

If Smith had not slapped Rock, the media today would be condemning Rock

Not so sure.  Will Smith seems to be this years' Nickelback.  Probably why he's being cast as a villan for doing something most of us would have done in defense of our wives.  Do ANY of us know how hard life has been in the Smith Household due to Jada's medical issue?

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Yep. Not a fan of the Dune-iverse. 

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”

I’m not giving Frank Herbert another minute of my time. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Do ANY of us know how hard life has been in the Smith Household due to Jada's medical issue?

Honestly, though, who cares enough about celebrities to know about her medical condition?  How the hell is Chris Rock supposed to know any of that, either?   Explain first, punch later, you frickin' egomaniac.