Clearly not a water dog…

ChrisL

Jake knows not to go into the in-ground pool in his back yard.

I've been thinking of taking him to a dog beach at a park on the Chesapeake Bay.

But if I do that, I'm worried he'll decide he likes it and swim in the pool and tear the liner with his paws.

I'll also have to hose him down after the dog beach experience to get the salt off of him.  That may be a real chore.

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Jake knows not to go into the in-ground pool in his back yard.

I've been thinking of taking him to a dog beach at a park on the Chesapeake Bay.

But if I do that, I'm worried he'll decide he likes it and swim in the pool and tear the liner with his paws.

I'll also have to hose him down after the dog beach experience to get the salt off of him.  That may be a real chore.

My brother has a golden doodle about the size of Jake (maybe bigger as his dog is over 100 lbs). Anyway he loves their pool and spends a lot of time in it.  I guess it’s more work for my brother to clean the pool but Harper loves to swim. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I used to go to dog beach all the time when I lived in San Diego.  My dog loved to swim, and I never once had to hose her down after.

It is a dog, they aren't so complex or finicky about things humans freak out about.  Salt water on their fur is fine, sand sloughs off easily.  Dogs like the beach, go fur it!

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I used to go to dog beach all the time when I lived in San Diego.  My dog loved to swim, and I never once had to hose her down after.

It is a dog, they aren't so complex or finicky about things humans freak out about.  Salt water on their fur is fine, sand sloughs off easily.  Dogs like the beach, go fur it!

East coast sand is more like dirt though.  SoCal beach sand has a lot of granite in it and does fall off easily.  My Aussie loved to roll in the sand but wasn’t a fan of the water. Jack isn’t a big beach dog and doesn’t care for the sand not water.