Jump to content

Buying her last home @84 yrs.


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

After living in Metro Vancouver  for over last 50 yrs., friend moved to our area in  Alberta to be closer to her son and family. She was in a retirement home for only  6 months. So went across the street, bought her own condo in a bldg. for those over 60yrs. 

She's much happier to cook her meals, with more room to around, etc.  Bldg. has some self-organized activities by condo owners, not by a paid facilitator.  She's very lucky to have made this major switch..and to have funds to do it after selling her BC condo.

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



At that age, it is a big move.  Being with family will make it work.  If my mothers eyesight wasn't so bad, she would still be in her townhouse on her own as well.  She is in a great retirement facility and likes having people around to play cards with.  She does tire of the food and going to a common dining room to eat though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

At that age, it is a big move.  Being with family will make it work.  If my mothers eyesight wasn't so bad, she would still be in her townhouse on her own as well.  She is in a great retirement facility and likes having people around to play cards with.  She does tire of the food and going to a common dining room to eat though. 

Wilbur, my friend was the former randonneur, solo  grandmother cyclist across  CAnada and long-time former cycling advocate  who knew dearie also. She is the grandmother of the architect student grad granddaughter  (wow what a pile of adjectives).  Yes, her family helped her  move across the street......AFTER her son and grandson packed up her household from Metro Vancouver and drove to Alberta... last Aug. :whistle:

Now that I have given her background, that might still explain that kickbutt motivation for herself, it's not totally uncharacteristic she made her final wise home move.   And not sit back, cursing herself.

At the retirement home, my friend found she met alot of residents who  absolutely didn't like eating vegetables....farm based, whole life in spent Alberta. She herself was a seafood eater plus veggies fan. being a  former nurse probably provided a certain lens. Retirement home served alot of mushy veggie dishes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Wilbur, my friend was the former randonneur, solo  grandmother cyclist across  CAnada and long-time former cycling advocate  who knew dearie also. She is the grandmother of the architect student grad granddaughter  (wow what a pile of adjectives).  Yes, her family helped her  move across the street......AFTER her son and grandson packed up her household from Metro Vancouver and drove to Alberta... last Aug. :whistle:

Now that I have given her background, that might still explain that kickbutt motivation for herself, it's not totally uncharacteristic she made her final wise home move.   And not sit back, cursing herself.

At the retirement home, my friend found she met alot of residents who  absolutely didn't like to eating vegetables....farm based, whole life in spent Alberta. She herself was a seafood eater plus veggies fan. being a  former nurse probably provided a certain lens. Retirement home served alot of mushy veggie dishes.

Some retirement homes serve pretty nasty food.  We pay 7500 per month so my mother eats well, she just gets tired of the routine. :) 

  • Hugs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So much depends on the individuals and what they like.   After my Dad passed, my Mom didn't want to leave the house they'd shared despite the fact it was much too big with steep stairs and needed lots of maintenance.  Eventually my sister convinced her to move to a co-op in my sister's building.  She had her own place, but my sister and her family could visit and were around when household tasks were needed.  But my Mom quickly realized how much she loved being in a building where she saw people regularly.  Every time I visited she had some tale of another neighbor she'd met and she'd comment how her neighbors all looked out for one another.  My Dad could have lived in that apartment for 30 years and never have been able to tell you his neighbor's name.

Some people do better with other people around while others do better with more independence.  It's nice that there are a variety of  options.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like my FIL who flew the coop from his retirement home his wife made them move into.  He left his wife behind &  is renting a place in TX until he figures out what he wants to do for the next & probably final stage of his life.

I posted previously about us maybe living together but my wife & I are pretty much set in that we want to live where or very close (within a few blocks) to where we are now.  A house big enough for us all is going to be $1.5 + million. He actually said it’s doable but we are not so sure we want to do it.  I think we would rather he live in his own place nearby than together in a house. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Sounds like my FIL who flew the coop from his retirement home his wife made them move into.  He left his wife behind &  is renting a place in TX until he figures out what he wants to do for the next & probably final stage of his life.

I posted previously about us maybe living together but my wife & I are pretty much set in that we want to live where or very close (within a few blocks) to where we are now.  A house big enough for us all is going to be $1.5 + million. He actually said it’s doable but we are not so sure we want to do it.  I think we would rather he live in his own place nearby than together in a house. 

 

Can he afford to buy a little place in your area?  It makes no sense to buy a big place at this stage in life, live solo and then over time, deal with maintenance ..and housework as one becomes unable to do over time.  Guess depends what he would like to do. 

The friend bought a 800 sq. ft. place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Can he afford to buy a little place in your area?  It makes no sense to buy a big place at this stage in life, live solo and then over time, deal with maintenance ..and housework as one becomes unable to do over time.  Guess depends what he would like to do. 

The friend bought a 800 sq. ft. place.

He’s all over the place so who knows.  He balks at buying a condo for himself out here but is OK buying a big place for all of us assuming we sell our place & use equity as a down.  His thought is  the house would end up as ours but he’s still technically married so we really aren’t comfortable with any of his ideas.  But he is a financially/legally savvy so I’m guessing he has that sorted out.

Hes coming out Thursday for a visit and the plan is we’ll discuss our options.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

He’s all over the place so who knows.  He balks at buying a condo for himself out here but is OK buying a big place for all of us assuming we sell our place & use equity as a down.  His thought is  the house would end up as ours but he’s still technically married so we really aren’t comfortable with any of his ideas.  But he is a financially/legally savvy so I’m guessing he has that sorted out.

Hes coming out Thursday for a visit and the plan is we’ll discuss our options.  

Hmmm. He's still married to his wife, former lawyer. He has a bright wife,  --still. The very fact, she's still wanting live in retirement home says quite alot about their marriage...which of course isn't totally your biz. Chris  really your FIL needs to shown a list of court decisions. (his wife is still capable of probably doing some case law research herself).

Don't even get why he quite uncomfortable getting his own condo. Does he have health problems he's not yet revealing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...