Not really understanding the mindset here.

2Far

A county man has been charged with killing his 4-year-old niece. But the family of the little girl, including her mother, says he did not do it.

The shooting happened Monday night at the .... apartments

Channel 2 spoke to the young child’s family Tuesday, who said they are absolutely devastated.

They said not only are they grieving girl’s death, but another relative is behind bars facing second-degree murder.

They say they told police the child accidentally shot herself, but for some reason, police made the arrest anyway.

“My baby loved her uncle to death,” the child’s mother told Channel 2, asking not to be identified.

The family identified the 4-year-old victim as AA.

“He keeps on asking for her and I don’t know what to say,” the mother said the girl’s twin brother is asking.

County police arrested the uncle, 27, Monday night in connection to the shooting.

He is the woman’s brother.

Police say he shot and killed his niece AA. His charges range from cruelty to a child to second-degree murder.

But the suspect’s sister, who is also AA’s mother, said the only thing her brother is guilty of is falling asleep and leaving his gun out.

“My baby shot herself. My brother did not shoot her,” the mother said.

“Why do you think police charged him when he didn’t do it?” Channel 2 asked the mother.

“I don’t know, because when they talked to me, I told them my brother was asleep,” the mother said.

Channel 2 says the mother contacted police to report what the family told her and asked them if they had ruled out the possibility that the little girl accidentally shot herself.

She is still waiting on a response from the department.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm good with a murder charge if he left the gun out in the presence of a 4 year old.  Not first degree, but one of the lesser murders.  As far as I'm concerned that's a criminally irresponsible act worse than accidental manslaughter.

This!

From the report: "AA’s mother said the only thing her brother is guilty of is falling asleep and leaving his gun out."

The ONLY thing?  That's a big enough thing by itself to merit prison time!

13 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If it were an accident, do you believe the parents share responsibility with the gun owner for the girl's death?

Probably.  It would be difficult to make a legal case however.  Common sense might be not to have a gun toting baby sitter who leaves his gun laying around.