Top Gun is not a good movie

Randomguy

I just saw the trailer for the new Top Gun movie, and this reminded me that I watched a fair bit of the first movie about a month ago.  Anyway, the jet/carrier/flying scenes were good, everything else was just silly filler.  The trailer I just saw seems like it will be the same hot garbage with new planes and of course, supercool flying scenes.

It seems this movie’s release has been in limbo for ages.  I take it the studio execs didn’t want it to go straight to video and waited for theaters to open back up.  

I remember watching Top Gun at the theater i the 80’s.  It was enjoyable then. i haven’t watched it in at least a decade. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I remember watching Top Gun at the theater i the 80’s.  It was enjoyable then. i haven’t watched it in at least a decade. 

It was decent for its time, but it is pretty cringey now and didn't age well.  The flying scenes were still cool, though.

Are you nuts - don't bother answering that.  We already know.

It was a great movie.  Released the year of my birth.  It was on the GRIT channel just a few days ago.  I'm pretty sure Donk agrees with me.  Pure cinematic greatness.

image.png.3c5d486af390f816fcb97ed20cdbeb8b.png 

Rick Martin returns home to Casper, Wyoming, where he is unwanted because of his reputation as a gunslinger. He does have a few friends in town, including Marshal Bat Davis and hotel owner Jim O'Hara.

As Rick visits his mother's grave, he notices a marker beside hers with his name on it; there is also an open grave, ready for him.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It was decent for its time, but it is pretty cringey now and didn't age well.  The flying scenes were still cool, though.

Emmy wanted to watch it a few weeks ago.  We watched it and I enjoyed it but parts did seem a little cheesy.  Back in the day I loved it.  Hell that was the movie that made me want to join the Navy!

The airplane parts in the new movie look dope as hell. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I just saw the trailer for the new Top Gun movie, and this reminded me that I watched a fair bit of the first movie about a month ago.  Anyway, the jet/carrier/flying scenes were good, everything else was just silly filler.  The trailer I just saw seems like it will be the same hot garbage with new planes and of course, supercool flying scenes.

What do you want, Dr. Zhivago goes to flying school?  It's entertainment unless you are some sort of purist.