AWD taar horror stories?

Ralphie

AWD systems are complicated. There is a speed sensor on each wheel (also used for ABS) which is how the system knows which wheels is slipping. If tire diameters are not all the same, they will rotate at different speeds which may cause the AWD system to become active. I don't know how much wear would change the tires speed significantly enough to cause an issue. But at slower speeds is when it would most likely be noticed.

Edit: I call BS on not being able to repair the nail holes. I've had this done w/ a plug. But Discount Tire and other places will not plug, but a patch would work.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I have been told that you can go directly from the dealer to discount tire and buy just the replacement certificates for road hazard for tires. Whenever I get new tires from discount I get the certificates. I just got two new tires on the Chrysler with them and my son got a new tire on his Tahoe with them

• Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Of course the dealer wants to sell all 4.

They make these rules for extreme situations where the circumference of the tire is way off. Someone slashed one of my tires and the tire shop refused to mount the one new tire on my vehicle, they said it was illegal. I had them mount it on the rim and I took it home and mounted it on the vehicle. That was three years ago and I have had no issues. How much it is really necessary and how much it is bull chit to sell more tires I don’t know. If it was really that bad how can they provide a donut spare with the car when you buy it? That tire isn’t even close to the size of the real tires. I always plug my own tires and have never had an issue with them. When my son was in college he had a summer job in Pittsburgh. Between the construction they were doing on the interstate and the job sites he was driving to he frequently got punctures in his tires. Probably about ten that summer. I plugged them all and never had an issue with any of the plugs. We had an extra pair of wheels for that car so his trunk was full of spares because he often got more than one flat in a day just like Ralph’s sister.

• Thank You 1

I think I've told this story before.  It is why I will always give my tire business to Discount Tire.  OK maybe not the only reason but a primary reason.

WoKzoo had a Jeep Liberty that needed new rear tires.  The fronts were in good shape (should have been doing a better job of rotating), anyway.  On a Saturday morning I went to DT and told them I wanted 2 new rear tires mounted.  The guy argued with me that it needed 4 and explained the driver train issues it could create.  I explained that WoKzoo used 4WD maybe 3 times a year only in the worst of weather and never on dry pavement.  I only wanted 2 new rears.  We debated back and forth for a bit and he finally relented.  I pre-paid for the 2 tires and left the keys.

My parents lived in an apartment complex at the time that was just a short walk so I went over there for a couple hours to visit and drink some of my mothers horrendous coffee.  As I returned to the DT shop I could see the Jeep in the parking lot backed into a space with 2 new front tires.  My first though was they did the fronts instead of the rears.  I was a bit upset until I got close enough to see 4 new tires.

I went in to the desk and the conversation went like this...

Kzoo: I'm here for my Jeep Liberty.

Service guy:  OK let me get the paperwork.

Me: Can you explain why there are 4 new....

Service guy: (interrupting me) Don't ask don't say a word. 

Service Guy: (smiling) Here are your keys and the paperwork for you 4 new tires.  Have an great day Mr. Kzoo

That was about $300 worth of tires that they installed for free.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I always plug my own tires and have never had an issue with them.

Years ago local garages would plug. I never had a plug fail.  Even on the corner radius of the tire. The old guy (garage owner) said it may not hold, but did it anyway because I wanted him to. And it never failed. Corporate owned places like Discount Tire will not plug. Probably because of the liability. The plug is a great 5 minute fix. Most of the time the tire doesn't need to be removed.  I miss local garages. This one I'm talkin' aboot charged only a few bucks for his few minutes of trouble :D

8 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Years ago local garages would plug. I never had a plug fail.  Even on the corner radius of the tire. The old guy (garage owner) said it may not hold, but did it anyway because I wanted him to. And it never failed. Corporate owned places like Discount Tire will not plug. Probably because of the liability. The plug is a great 5 minute fix. Most of the time the tire doesn't need to be removed.  I miss local garages. This one I'm talkin' aboot charged only a few bucks for his few minutes of trouble :D

On my roads with all the Amish there are a lot of horse shoe nails that come out. I have never got a flat from them but some of my family has. I’ve plugged zero turn tires, roto tiller tires all kind of tires. They even make a tool for plugging bicycle tires but I haven’t gone tubeless yet. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

On my roads with all the Amish there are a lot of horse shoe nails that come out. I have never got a flat from them but some of my family has. I’ve plugged zero turn tires, roto tiller tires all kind of tires. They even make a tool for plugging bicycle tires but I haven’t gone tubeless yet. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I have a bike plug kit, but never used it so far. When I replace my fat bike tires, I'm thinking of practicing by puncturing a hole in the old one, then trying to plug it to see how this contraption works. I know a guy that rides Gold Wing motorcycle. He keeps a plug kit on him.

• Heart 1