Did I mention that I hate plumbing work? Longish.

tybeegb

If not, then "I hate plumbing work". 

So yesterday I go downstairs to get my bike to head to the library.  #2 son had gone downstairs to check his beer supply for the weekend.  As I walk in the workshop/storage/junk area he's looking up at water dripping down in two places.  It had just started as the puddles on the floor were small, but growing.  Crap!  Crap!  Crap!  My first thought was fresh water, or crap water.  But crap water was quickly ruled out as the bathrooms are on the other side of the house, and the line runs under the ceiling, as the picture shows. 

For just such emergencies I keep the water supply shutoff tool by the door downstairs, which I hastily grabbed and ran out to the front yard to shut it off.  A check upstairs showed no water standing in the house, so it must be a supply line to the downstairs, and the washer/dryer is pretty close to the where the leaks are.  Well, whoever put up the plywood did a good job, because that was a pain in the butt to get down to find the leak.  Sure enough, it was a pinhole leak in the PEX right where it came out of the sub-floor.  Oh, great. 

So upstairs to pull the washer and dryer out to get to the wall to cut the hole to get to the supply line.  I had a piece of PEX and enough stuff to cut the leaking line off and replace it to get the water turned back on.  But, since both lines curved the same way, and since the valve looked iffy on the PEX connecting end, I decided today to replace the whole mess.  I cut and capped the supply lines under the house so I could do the upstairs work without having to hurry.  Lunch break now, and then I have to finish the connections downstairs.  Then cleanup the mess, and leave the plywood down so everything can dry out before replacing it.  Not how I envisioned my Saturday and Sunday, but then again, I'll just take my Saturday and Sunday on Monday and Tuesday.  :P

Upstairs after everything is reconnected and ready to hook up downstairs.

Downstairs with the sheet of plywood down to get to the lines.

Downstairs where the lines come out, waiting for the elbows to be connected. I'll get wet again when I do that, as the line won't drain all the way out since it slopes upwards from there.

I'm a little jealous you can use PEX instead of copper. I haven't finished the basement ceiling yet because I can't feed a solid copper pipe for an outside spigot though the floor joists above. With PEX, it would be a non issue. Interestingly, manufactured or prefab homes can use PEX here, but not stick built homes. Go figure.  :dontknow:

I'm a little jealous you can use PEX instead of copper. I haven't finished the basement ceiling yet because I can't feed a solid copper pipe for an outside spigot though the floor joists above. With PEX, it would be a non issue. Interestingly, manufactured or prefab homes can use PEX here, but not stick built homes. Go figure.  :dontknow:

The power and influence of the plumbing unions.

If the scrappers break in to steal your plumbing they are going to be disappointed.  The guy that built my house was horrible at sweating copper pipes.  I had to redo most of the joints within the first couple years I lived here, no leaks since.

Jeeze...sweating pipes isn't all that hard.