Choose your birthday dinner

Kirby

Suppose it's your birthday and you were invited to a friend's house for a birthday celebration.  Since it's your birthday, you get to choose the meal.  What's your choice for your favorite celebratory meal?

• Heart 1

This was dearie's last birthday meal that he prepped for me. It was 6 courses: Six Courses for Over Six Decades – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

I had no idea what he had planned but he did bring fresh seafood with him, when coming in from  Vancouver. It's only 1 hr. plane ride..  I was at work, when he was prepping and also bought the birthday cake.

This blog post was actually entered into court documents....it does have a hard date, indisputable date which the date /time period matches my  birth date  and photographic evidence. No kiddn'.

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is this a nice way of asking "If you were on death row...?"  :) 

I have to say I'm so happy I have photos of this key event graced by dearie's concoctions and his presence.  

One day you WILL look back on some key meals with special people in your life...if not already.   I don't remember the dishes of last family meal with my father before he deteriorated from chemotherapy treatments a few months later, then passed away. But I remember all of us enjoying the time and yes,  we have the photos.

• Heart 3

54 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Suppose it's your birthday and you were invited to a friend's house for a birthday celebration.  Since it's your birthday, you get to choose the meal.  What's your choice for your favorite celebratory meal?

...is it your birthday, or are you "asking for a friend" ? I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite food. But the fresh asparagus just started coming in this week, so some kind of asparagus bisque would be on the menu.

• Heart 3

Just now, Page Turner said:

...is it your birthday, or are you "asking for a friend" ? I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite food. But the fresh asparagus just started coming in this week, so some kind of asparagus bisque would be on the menu.

Birthday isn't for some time yet, :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

There are only two possible choices, hamburgers or pizza.

Umm well, maybe enchiladas 

or Fillet Mignon

or swordfish

Maybe Fish and chips

Did I mention roast turkey?

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...I just had one a week or ten days ago.  The local asparagus was not available yet. :(

Local asparagus is just wonderful.

For whatever reasons, traditional Germans go crazy over white asparagus. I never could figure out what was so lovely about white asparagus in taste.

Anyway's dearie's birth region has annual white asparagus festival. Cycling for Spargel, Kirsch and Blue Painted Bikes: Black Forest Region, Germany. – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)  I had no idea about this until we got there at the right time.

• Heart 3

When my birthday comes around my Mom always asks me if I'd like to go out, or come over for dinner. I always choose the latter. My favorite thing to pick is ribs on the BBQ. My step-dad has it down. So delicious. I can't remember ever having ribs better than his BBQ ones. Then we sit around and have a few beers and hang oot.

• Awesome 2

If it was a restaurants specific, and no logistics prevented: 

• Fried Chicken from Willie Mae's Scotch House in NOLA
  • 1905 Salad from the Columbia Ybor
  • Barrette chocolate bars from À La Mère de Famille in Paris

If I had to suffice in a reality that didn't allow for perfection of foods from the world:
Dinner out: probably Gastro Pub (little lamb or clear sky) great selection of gastro BBQ, American, French, and Indian selections at either

Dinner home: Iskender Kabab

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

For whatever reasons, traditional Germans go crazy over white asparagus. I never could figure out what was so lovely about white asparagus in taste.

Einstein is the same way--- he loves the white ones.  I think they taste bland.  I remember cycling by the covered asperaguas in the field.  I ahd to ask why anyone would want to keep the sun away from a veggie.

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

This was dearie's last birthday meal that he prepped for me. It was 6 courses: Six Courses for Over Six Decades – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

I had no idea what he had planned but he did bring fresh seafood with him, when coming in from  Vancouver. It's only 1 hr. plane ride..  I was at work, when he was prepping and also bought the birthday cake.

This blog post was actually entered into court documents....it does have a hard date, indisputable date which the date /time period matches my  birth date  and photographic evidence. No kiddn'.

What a wonderful memory and experience.  Sorry your memory had to end up in court but you are right, it is definitely a hard date.

• Heart 2

Lately we’ve been doing dinner at an Italian restaurant I enjoy. Nice pasta dinner with wine and dessert. Not sure what we’re planning this year. We’ll be driving back from vacation this year in Charleston WV on my birthday, so BuffCarla and I will look for a nice place. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

@Kirby this is your thread. What is your special meal? Don’t say whatever’s on sale at the gas station neither.

My traditional birthday dinner was roast chicken, mashed potatoes, cole slaw (made with vinegar and oil), and corn.   My last birthday dinner was at my sister's and she had a variety of yummy take out Italian.

• Heart 2