About to proceed with 1st degree murder

petitepedal

I hope no one at my condo catches me....well actually...I am putting  a contract out..not actually doing the murders myself :whistle:

I got a live trap...I'm gonna set it and my maintenance guy is gonna deal with them...

I will make him promise squirrels only..no bunnies...although if I remember correctly bunnies taste good...squirrels not been on the menu.

Yes I am evil..but the damn thing started climbing my screens :angry:

• Heart 1

Sadly, you'll never be rid of them.

How fast do squirrels multiply?

Squirrels breed twice a year to have babies and they are pregnant for about 30 to 45 days. They can have up to 8 babies at a time. They may breed once per year or twice per year depending on circumstances. The mother squirrel will take care of the babies for the first 3 months and then they will be on their own.

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I hope no one at my condo catches me....well actually...I am putting  a contract out..not actually doing the murders myself :whistle:

I got a live trap...I'm gonna set it and my maintenance guy is gonna deal with them...

I will make him promise squirrels only..no bunnies...although if I remember correctly bunnies taste good...squirrels not been on the menu.

Yes I am evil..but the damn thing started climbing my screens :angry:

Squirrels aren't bad to eat, a flavor that resembles chicken with tougher meat that gets a lot better with gravy or stew to soften it up.

When I was a young teen, my friend's carpenter father used to moonlight on Saturdays by laying hardwood floor in buildings that were often way out in the country and he'd take us with him to cut and line-up the boards for him to manual-nail-gun into place.

There were often large tracts of woods on the properties and he'd get permission to hunt on them.  We'd start work at 5 am, be done by noon, eat a bagged lunch, and go squirrel hunting!

The carpenter, Mr. Vance, grew up as a self-reliant, North Carolina mountain man and taught us things like how to make whistles out of maple tree branches when the Spring sap ran.  He said he wasn't going to waste time and meat picking shotgun pellets out of squirrels, so we shot them with 22 rifles!

Later, guys would be amazed: "You could hit a squirrel with a 22?"

It's not that hard.  When we were about 12, several of us used to walk a mile to Sears with our 22's in soft-cases, walk in and each buy a box of fifty 22 shorts to shoot at targets.

We had no trouble buying them with money our parents gave us for that purpose: kids were expected to be responsible back then.

We then walked a mile back near our homes to an abandoned quarry, and shot at targets stuck up on the small, chalk cliffs there.

By the time Mr. Vance took us hunting I was a good shot!

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Talked some more with the maintenance guy..he plans to cook them :dontknow: His daughter is curious cos he said he ate it as a kid.

TRADITIONAL BRUNSWICK STEW (APPALACHIAN SQUIRREL STEW)

...three squirrels is just barely enough for stew. I used to clean, then freeze them, until I had at least four. Stewed is the only way I've ever eaten them. Rabbits also make a pretty good stew. Just sayin'.

Brunswick stew has been around in America for so long that there's a recipe for it in James Beard's "American Cookery".  Not sure why more people don't make it...maybe now with inflation it will become popular again ?

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

If Cheese were here he'd offer to build them all a nice house with casement windows and porch furniture. :(

You are correct...and I dont like killing them...but when they are climbing my screens and when I try yelling at them or making noise they respond with :nyanya: or:popcorn:..I gotta do something... we will only take out 3 or 4 overly bold ones....and stop.

43 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We use to hunt and eat them when I was a child. They were pretty tasty!

This.  Used the .22 so I didn't have to dig out the BBs.

Cook 'em like rabbit but a little longer 'cause they can be tough.

Got home from work and went to check on my garden. The spinach is coming in fine. Spotted something that didn’t belong; looked like a large bunch of gray feathers. Turned out “something” buried a whole squirrel in my garden! 😱Not there anymore but that’s disturbing! I blame a forum member for bringing up the topic. 

• Sad 1