I lost my onboard GPS monitor

maddmaxx

I had a cheaper-model Garmin GPS in my car that I sat on top of the dashboard, toward the middle, on a Garmin "sandbag" when I needed it.  I like that position rather than use the suction cup to attach it to a far-forward side window or where built-in GPS's are around the radio's position in the middle of the side of the dash.  I can glance at it on top of the DASH without it blocking my view or taking my eyes off the road.

One day, I went to pick up steamed crabs for a pool party and used the GPS to get to the crabhouse.  I forgot to put it away or lock the doors when I carried the several dozen crabs to the poolside.  It was stolen and didn't realize I hadn't put it away!

A couple weeks later, I went to enter an out of state address for a relative's graduation party and realized what had happened.

I looked on Amazon and I could get a top-of-the-line, 5" new Garmin Car GPS for around $100, but there was something like a $57 shipping charge to get it to me in the 2 days I needed. 

Then, a popup appeared saying that if I tried Amazon Prime free for a month, they'd ship it for free.  So I got the GPS, figuring I'd cancel Prime within the month.

But I didn't have cable TV then and when I saw all the great stuff on Prime Video did, and I had a Smart TV that streamed Prime Video directly from my router, I kept Prime ever since.  Today, it's also great that if I want to buy something that's $6.99 like the kitchen funnels being delivered tomorrow, I don't have to wait until I have a large order to get it mailed for free.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I had a cheaper-model Garmin GPS in my car that I sat on top of the dashboard, toward the middle, on a Garmin "sandbag" when I needed it.  I like that position rather than use the suction cup to attach it to a far-forward side window or where built-in GPS's are around the radio's position in the middle of the side of the dash.  I can glance at it on top of the DASH without it blocking my view or taking my eyes off the road.

One day, I went to pick up steamed crabs for a pool party and used the GPS to get to the crabhouse.  I forgot to put it away or lock the doors when I carried the several dozen crabs to the poolside.  It was stolen and didn't realize I hadn't put it away!

A couple weeks later, I went to enter an out of state address for a relative's graduation party and realized what had happened.

I looked on Amazon and I could get a top-of-the-line, 5" new Garmin Car GPS for around $100, but there was something like a $57 shipping charge to get it to me in the 2 days I needed. 

Then, a popup appeared saying that if I tried Amazon Prime free for a month, they'd ship it for free.  So I got the GPS, figuring I'd cancel Prime within the month.

But I didn't have cable TV then and when I saw all the great stuff on Prime Video did, and I had a Smart TV that streamed Prime Video directly from my router, I kept Prime ever since.  Today, it's also great that if I want to buy something that's $6.99 like the kitchen funnels being delivered tomorrow, I don't have to wait until I have a large order to get it mailed for free.

Gotcha 

19 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Wow, crisis averted. How messy is your lab?

Now it's a disaster.  I pulled out every box and basket (womaxx has her craft stuff down here but can't use her workbench for the piles of stuff) looking for that one place that something could bounce and land.  I might have given up on something lesser but this 1.5" square by .75 inch box is worth over $100.  This is the device that rides in the car during test and reports to my phone the acceleration and speed curves I've posted here.  It's relatively accurate over 132 feet, typically showing et about 0.1 seconds slower than the track timing system will.  That's because it only samples about 10 times per second.  It needs to be in the gasser all the time because I need those 37 grams to make weight with the good batteries.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Gotcha 

I don't bother with a dedicated GPS in my 1/1 car anymore.  I've discovered Waze, an app on your cell phone that works as well or even better and is updated all the time.  And, as that obnoxious Medicare ad on TV.........IT"S F R E E!!!

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Now it's a disaster.  I pulled out every box and basket (womaxx has her craft stuff down here but can't use her workbench for the piles of stuff) looking for that one place that something could bounce and land.  I might have given up on something lesser but this 1.5" square by .75 inch box is worth over $100.  This is the device that rides in the car during test and reports to my phone the acceleration and speed curves I've posted here.  It's relatively accurate over 132 feet, typically showing et about 0.1 seconds slower than the track timing system will.  That's because it only samples about 10 times per second.  It needs to be in the gasser all the time because I need those 37 grams to make weight with the good batteries.

Interesting that, being so accurate, you can't find it but some satellite knows EXACTLY where it is.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Interesting that, being so accurate, you can't find it but some satellite knows EXACTLY where it is.

I don't think anything knows where it is.  It knows where it is because the satellites tell it where they are.  I had an area of about a third of my house where the bluetooth signal was active. but because it was inside something I couldn't see the lights when I turned it on and off.