TIaB

bikeman564™

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Love that blue!  That’s why it’s so zippy! 

Indeed :D Thanks, I like it too. The stock pics on Chevy's website display it as a lighter blue. This car was in the showroom when I got there, and it looked almost black. I like dark blue on cars, and I never had a blue car. Gray would of been my second choice, which is what my Trailblazer is.

• Heart 2

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I will. I'll never be able to find a low mile car like this again and one year old. Plus there is still 21 months on the factory warranty.

And you’re gonna kick yourself in the seat of the pants if you go back and it’s gone just go buy it do it now.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Just buy the damn thing

No. Make then sweat. Extra points is they chase you down as you head to your car. Have them reduce the price by a grand or so just to come back in to complete the deal.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

No. Make then sweat. Extra points is they chase you down as you head to your car. Have them reduce the price by a grand or so just to come back in to complete the deal.

Sadly I'm an engineer, not a purchaser. So my negotiating skills suck.

17 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Sadly I'm an engineer, not a purchaser. So my negotiating skills suck.

In anormal market then your skills are better for it in car buying. A friend of mine gave me this process to use as he was the finance manager for the largest chain hear in Florida.

Get three local OTD, outside financing, prices on the car you want on paper. The get three more outside, I usually do North Georgia and South Carolina. Somewhere within a full days travel and the taxes/licensing is within line of my own.

Go to local dealership with best price and show out of state price, if lower of course, and tell them to beat it by 12%.

I've gotten my last two vehicles doing that method. Which isn't any magic in negotiations; just smart research. Both times I got the car for below "dealer price". Course with the car shortage/chip shortage today there probably isn't enough inventory to work it all out like that anymore.

37 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

In anormal market then your skills are better for it in car buying. A friend of mine gave me this process to use as he was the finance manager for the largest chain hear in Florida.

Get three local OTD, outside financing, prices on the car you want on paper. The get three more outside, I usually do North Georgia and South Carolina. Somewhere within a full days travel and the taxes/licensing is within line of my own.

Go to local dealership with best price and show out of state price, if lower of course, and tell them to beat it by 12%.

I've gotten my last two vehicles doing that method. Which isn't any magic in negotiations; just smart research. Both times I got the car for below "dealer price". Course with the car shortage/chip shortage today there probably isn't enough inventory to work it all out like that anymore.

While it works, and may do a variation, it is difficult to do today with the limited inventory, and most incoming are already spoken for. Really limits negotiating. Now, about only discount off MSRP with the demand and lacking inventory is whatever the factory is offering. I am seriously thinking about trading in my Mini - which will return a phenominal used price for a Ford Escape Hybrid. Also looked at some Chevy/GMC/Ram 1500 trucks but don't get the discount like I do with Ford as eligible for their X-Plan (basically, invoice + $250. Normally can negotiate better but in todays market that cuts to the core and budges them off MSRP. Plus, special order where I would be one of the "incoming" gives an extra $1000 from the factory. Two issue, preferred "no fee" dealer in town hedged on accepting X-Plan, stating only for prior customers. When told them was prior customer of sister dealership in neighboring town and would just go there, tone changed to "management 'might' make an exception. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. The other issue, when the car comes in, while the purchase price is set by contract when placing the order, there is the issue of the trade-in. I am essentially hostage and they know I can't get the car elsewhere and can offer me anything for the trade. That is where I would have copetitive written quoted from CarMax, Carvana, Mini dealer, etc. to keep them honest. The problem is they have to have a good margin as sales tax is calculated on the net after trade. So if I sell it privately (too much wrong with car to do that) or to a dealer, I would have to pay sales tax on 100% of the new car purchase. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, but just hope issues with the care hold out for the 3 to 4 month build schedule. 

While I intend to pay cash, they won't know that with Ford offering a $500 financing rebate, or alternately, their internal bank financing kickback, play them for a lower price/higher trade. Then of course, just pay it off when first payment due.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

I understand, but I agree w/ @Tizeye I want a blue malibu premier, period. New ones are available but at limited quantities scattered throughout the country.  I've been looking weekly at inventories. GM halted production from March 2021 til November of 2021.  In November they restarted production on the 2021 MY (model year), then switch to the 2022 MY, which was no different, except the heated/cooled seats & steering wheel are not functional until a later retrofit TBD (if ever IMO). Used malibu's are rare also because there wasn't a large supply of them. I would imagine some people bought their leases out, and people that bought them are not selling them.  And new 2022 models at some dealers are adding on $2500, and $5000 "dealer add on". Yeah, that's really a thing. So this vehicle I'm interested in  is about the closest thing to new I can get, and from what I'm seeing, is at decent price. It's a strange time we're in. Two years ago at this time, any vehicle one might want was available.  When I bought my Trailblazer in July 2007, I could of had any color and trim level. Not now.

8 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Bank of America will not write a car lone to them.  I'm buying from a Chevy dealership, but I've read some horror buying stories from those companies.  I have no proof personally, but I'd beware for sure.

Would never buy from them. While Haven’t used Carvava as too new, have used CarMax to keep dealer from lowballing trade. They give a written quote with 350 mile limit and presume Carvana hoes same. Last time I did that was daughters Honda, originally purchased new and got her through college through PhD. Sold as she left for Switzerland - and never bought a car since. Local Honda dealer beat CarMax by $500, but sold it privately for $1000 more via Craigslist. (A couple from Tampa, met not at my home but a Publix shopping center parking lot that also had my bank). 

My VW trade for the Mini was the most recent and didn’t require the quotes. VW bought back the diesel for more than I paid for it 3 years prior. Second time in my life I’ve done that, but first was currency exchange movement during the three years as converted the sale price back to US$.

• Heart 1