I'm still not letting my guard down about Covid

MickinMD

I'm tempted to not wear a mask for Covid anymore, but have been doing so in indoor stores mainly because I see my BiL often and he's in the initial stages of recovering from lung-lobe removal surgery and any kind of infection could be serious.

I went into an Aldi yesterday.  An older woman and I were the only ones of about 25 people in view wearing masks.  I then went into Costco - about 2/3 were wearing masks, but few workers.  The same at a Food Lion supermarket.

I think we're all tired of a two-year pandemic and the statistics don't shock us much anymore.  But they're still not good.

So I'll probably wear a mask until after my next booster shot kicks-in and my BiL is back to normal.

• Heart 4

I'll be wearing a mask until all requirements are lifted. Sometimes I don't but mostly I do. There are still signs on doors telling people to wear masks upon entry. There are still attendants at the entries passing out masks. You know, it ain't over 'til it's over. 

• Heart 2

Some of the  provinces have a 6th covid wave slowly happening. It is in our area.

I wear a mask when shopping. I just came back from a cafe where i had a light lunch. I just hope there won't be a big wave when I visit Toronto in a few months.  My family members are highly vigilant because they work in hospitals and hence, for me as a guest, I have to monitor what will be a happening 1 month before I fly out.

My reason is:  I'm 63, not 23 yrs. old.

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Some of the  provinces have a 6th covid wave slowly happening. It is in our area.

I wear a mask when shopping. I just came back from a cafe where i had a light lunch. I just hope there won't be a big wave when I visit Toronto in a few months.  My family members are highly vigilant because they work in hospitals and hence, for me as a guest, I have to monitor what will be a happening 1 month before I fly out.

My reason is:  I'm 63, not 23 yrs. old.

I'm 55.  I think 3 shots is enough for me to develop some kind of antibodies to whatever strain it is and I think even with my heart disease I'm in 'decent' shape.  And quite frankly, the shotgon approach to this vaccine -- which I don't disagree should have been done -- is still a shotgun approach.  Most these vaccines have like 10 year 'gestation' periods before determining their safety.  There are young males right now dying playing endurance athletics because of heart issues -- that the CDC has recognized.  Either way, 3 is all I'm getting.

I still wear mine indoors in stores.  I don't wear at the outdoor races but we aren't crowded together. I still take out food instead of dining in and I don't go to theaters.  BA2 is surging across Europe and while it doesn't seem much more dangerous than Omicron it simply shows that variants aren't a done thing yet.  If a dangerous one comes along we will never get the public to care again.

I get pissed at people who don’t respect several feet of personal space. Today I had an older man (stranger) start talking to me while about 8 inches from my face. C’mon man. I wear my mask when required, which is medical venues, including my Mom’s assisted living. 

20 minutes ago, Dottles said:

So masks don’t really provide much protection, right? To my understanding they are there to prevent the spread, no?

They protect others, but they provide some protection to you as well.  Do they work...............somebody already posted that the worked well against colds and flu too.  I wonder why that is?  

I am keeping an eye on the stats locally, but will think about the booster if I go anywhere there are silly people.  Hoping for an updated version of the vaccine eventually, cheap insurance, you see.

If I had heart disease or lung disease or PRI, I wouldn't take too many chances on something that might randomly mess you up for life or kill you if you draw the short straw, no matter how strong you consider yourself to be.  

47 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They protect others, but they provide some protection to you as well.  Do they work...............somebody already posted that the worked well against colds and flu too.  I wonder why that is?  

No doubt. Colds and flus have gone way up here. In fact I have been bitten as we speak 

19 hours ago, Dottles said:

I should also mention that I try not to go to places with many people and still keep my distance.  From what I'm hearing is now that masks have come down cold and flu symptoms are up.  In fact, I now have cold as I type this.

How do you know it's not covid? Did you get a negative test?

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I've decided to let my guard down for now.  Screw it.  Life is already too short to be constantly fretting over when it is going to end.  Bring it on.  Whatever happens, happens.  :)

Plus nothing seems to be as fatal as the first alpha variant. It’s not your friend either way but if you get it, it’s not as deadly. So there’s that. 

I just started easing up on the mask mandate but have not eliminated using it. I still keep my distance. Hopefully I don’t have it now. I don’t think I do after talking with a friend who had it. But that’s not proof so I will test as soon as my sinuses cooperate. For now it’s like sticking your hand in a beehive. My sinuses no like that. 

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

We wear them less now but only because of our local covid numbers are very low and we are triple vaxxed. We’ll keep them handy and if/when the numbers creep back up we’ll put them back on.

I’m triple vaxxed too and the latest variants aren’t as deadly. Still not something I want so I pick and choose the places I wear it. I carry it with me and still keep my distance. I remind myself I am high risk

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I’m triple vaxxed too and the latest variants aren’t as deadly. Still not something I want so I pick and choose the places I wear it. I carry it with me and still keep my distance. I remind myself I am high risk

TBH we still aren’t eating in restaurants or going to large gatherings.  When I say wear it less its in a grocery store or when picking up food to go.  I don’t wear one at work when going to the restroom or getting a coffee but if I have to walk the floors (where a majority of the employees are) I put a mask on. 

• Heart 1

Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:

• Fever or chills

Maybe some fever initially

• Cough

Yes

• Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing

No, not yet

• Fatigue

Don't most folks feel this when sick?

• Muscle or body aches

No, not yet

• Headache

Yes