What happened in Sacramento???

Prophet Zacharia

The authorities were still searching for the gunman, though it was not clear how many people might have opened fire, Chief Lester said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/03/us/sacramento-shooting-updates.html

...I imagine this thread will gradually devolve into a discussion about modern weaponry, and how it allows one guy to do so much damage in a short period of time. But it's early yet, and I need to go over to the farmers market.  Looks like it happened over near Capitol Park, which is on one of my regular ride routes.  But I don't usually ride down there in the dark

There have been an ever increasing number of crime tape incidents over in Old Sacramento in the past couple of years, which is about 8-10 blocks away.  The clubs bring the gangsters down there, they are all packing heat, mostly they already don't like each other from history back in the 'hood, they get a little buzzed, and there you go.

• At least six people were killed and ten injured during an early morning shooting in downtown Sacramento near 10th and J Streets 
  • Video shared online showed a large group fighting on the sidewalk as rapid gunfire struck
  • Witnesses reported seeing a person in a car pull out an automatic weapon and begin shooting into a crowd gathered outside a restaurant and lounge
  • Bystanders said they heard more than fifty shots ring out before gunman's vehicle screeched away from the chaotic scene
  • The shooter remains at large 
  • https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10681189/At-six-dead-barrage-bullets-fired-car-bars-let-Sacramento.html

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If only there were a way to lock them in a stadium with no innocent bystanders...

...this happened about a block from the new Golden One basketball indoor arena.  So that's very doable. :flamethrower:

Already the news reports are filled with comments from people talking about how this is supposed to be the "safe" part of Sacramento. Most people just do not get the transportable firepower issue, at all. :(

5 minutes ago, smudge said:

Whew, this had me scared. 2 am? I sure hope if something bad was gonna happen it was at that early hour. DoSmudge2 was participating in a 5k event at 8 this morning.

All is well with her...

IMG_20220403_152810.thumb.jpg.179d953a1ca1f8c9225cd0cae1279953.jpg

Cool!  Is she in Sacto?  Remember the old saying, nothing good ever happens after 2 AM… 

9 hours ago, Page Turner said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/03/us/sacramento-shooting-updates.html

...I imagine this thread will gradually devolve into a discussion about modern weaponry, and how it allows one guy to do so much damage in a short period of time. But it's early yet, and I need to go over to the farmers market.  Looks like it happened over near Capitol Park, which is on one of my regular ride routes.  But I don't usually ride down there in the dark

There have been an ever increasing number of crime tape incidents over in Old Sacramento in the past couple of years, which is about 8-10 blocks away.  The clubs bring the gangsters down there, they are all packing heat, mostly they already don't like each other from history back in the 'hood, they get a little buzzed, and there you go.

So are most of the murders drug gang members?  In Baltimore, a city of 600,000 with a huge rate of 300 murders/year, 90% of the deaths are to people who have served prison terms - in other words, drug gang members.  That leaves 30 murders/year to us non-druggies, which is tolerable.

40 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

That leaves 30 murders/year to us non-druggies, which is tolerable.

Unless you’re one of the 30 or a family member of one of the 30 or one of the detectives who have to investigate the 30 or one of the first responders who have to deal with the PTSD that comes with responding to one of the 30.  But all in all, very tolerable.

< shakes head while walking away >

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Apparently the shooting was a block from the running event she participated in. 😲

...they run a lot of running events at the State Capitol, because it's centrally located and has a lot of open park space for people to wait and mill around. Also on Sundays, there's a lot of available free parking. When the Tour of California was still coming through here every year, start and finish was right along that same stretch of L street, a block from all the clubs on K.

58 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

So are most of the murders drug gang members?  In Baltimore, a city of 600,000 with a huge rate of 300 murders/year, 90% of the deaths are to people who have served prison terms - in other words, drug gang members.  That leaves 30 murders/year to us non-druggies, which is tolerable.

...there is a lot of killing associated with gang activity, but I don't think they are necessarily drug gangs.  We just had some guy shoot his three kids and the volunteer supervising the visit at a non denominational church up off Arden, next to the big shopping mall.  People get shot and killed here for all sorts of reasons, and it's not all gang related. It does happen mostly in some of the crummier neighborhoods, like down in Meadowview or up in Del Paso Heights.  But I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, near the American River.  Every now and then someone ends up dead along the river.

About ten or twelve years ago some sort of altercation broke out over at the park near the swimming beach here.  There was an ensuing car chase, with the guy in the rear car shooting live rounds at the car in front of him. They came around my corner at a high rate of speed, and after the cops responded, I managed to find a shell casing in the gutter, across the street.

In the time I responded with the fire department, most of the shootings I attended were in the South area, near Meadowview, or up in Del Paso Heights.

This, and the Old Sacramento stuff seem to be more related to kids going to clubs, getting into fights, and then someone decides to wait outside with a gun and settle up.

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

one of the first responders who have to deal with the PTSD that comes with responding to one of the 30.

...I have a funny story about pretending to do resuscitation on a guy who got capped through the head up in Del Paso Heights one hot August night at three in the morning.  Big crowd gathered, and they were starting to kind of mutter in the background, "...not gonna help the brutha."  We immediately re-evaluated and staged a movie scene that met the crowd's expectations, so we could GTFO.

No PTSD.  I thought it was frightfully entertaining.  I don't remember if I got back to sleep that night or not.  That guy was still dead in the morning, though.

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I have a funny story about pretending to do resuscitation on a guy who got capped through the head up in Del Paso Heights one hot August night at three in the morning.  Big crowd gathered, and they were starting to kind of mutter in the background, "...not gonna help the brutha."  We immediately re-evaluated and staged a movie scene that met the crowd's expectations, so we could GTFO.

No PTSD.  I thought it was frightfully entertaining.  I don't remember if I got back to sleep that night or not.  That guy was still dead in the morning, though.

So I take it you agreed with the crowd? 

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

So I take it you agreed with the crowd? 

...there was an impending sense of doom, coupled with a distinct feeling of racially charged animus.  So yes. 

Crowd psychology is not humanity's finest moment, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...there was an impending sense of doom, coupled with a distinct feeling of racially charged animus.  So yes. 

Crowd psychology is not humanity's finest moment, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Isn’t that a situation where you 1) have police provide some safe working space and 2) quickly move resuscitation efforts into the back of the ambulance to get out of there (and to the hospital) ASAP?

17 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Isn’t that a situation where you 1) have police provide some safe working space and 2) quickly move resuscitation efforts into the back of the ambulance to get out of there (and to the hospital) ASAP?

...SOP is to wait for the cops to go in first and declare the scene "safe".  We did that.  The cops are pretty busy/thinly stretched on August nights up in Del Paso Heights, so our guy took another call, because it was pretty obvious from the lack of any pulse, respiration, or pupillary response that our guy was dead.  Not sure about keeping the crime scene clear...it was right outside the door of an apartment. 

We had clearance at that point in time, when there was an obviously dead person with brains leaking out to call it.  Not sure what it is now.

It was us four white guys off an engine and the two ambulance guys (when they finally showed up), also white guys. Large subsidized housing complex, fenced, and in the hottest weather, everyone up there mostly operates at night. Kind of the stereotypical ghetto thing you see in the movies.  It hasn't changed much in the ensuing years, because nobody really knows how to address the issues that have given rise to it, and there's no money or political will to do so anyway.

But anyone who feels like it can hop in a car and be downtown at a club/bar in 20 minutes to party.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

This is something of an escalation in gun associated violence IME here.  I think everyone has gone nucking futs.  

I've always said, this won't be fixed until everyone is armed and can fire back.

33 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

four guys shot near a kids playground

What else was it near? A 7/11? A church? An apartment complex? A car wash? A single family home? A fire hydrant? Or was it a REALLY large playground (and a "kids" one at that) and there was nothing else around?

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've always said, this won't be fixed until everyone is armed and can fire back.

What else was it near? A 7/11? A church? An apartment complex? A car wash? A single family home? A fire hydrant? Or was it a REALLY large playground (and a "kids" one at that) and there was nothing else around?

Re is back:runcirclsmiley:

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...if you read the article link, this occurred at 4:30 pm on a Sunday afternoon.  This is why the mention of a children's playground is germane. There's a map at the link if you're curious about what else is around. It's true that the Mission district is rough, for San Francisco. But this is at one end of Mission (past the outer Mission district), and IIRC there is a lot mostly upscale housing and shopping over in the Crocker Amazon neighborhood where it sits.

559-ca_sf_crocker_amazon_273404_73_400x4559-ca_sf_crocker_amazon_273404_72_400x4559-ca_sf_crocker_amazon_273404_2_1800x_

^^^these are million dollar houses these days.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Looks empty! Maybe on weekends, the place is locked up?

image.thumb.png.711bab8bc7da08571aef3c91d32fd037.png

...this was a promotional photo, taken when many of the improvements were just finished.

Maybe everyone was still in church at 4:30 on a Sunday ? Statistics show that 86% of San Francisco residents are devout churchgoers.

It's a local park. If you don't live in the neighborhood, you'll never find a place to park your car. This shooting was probably an argument over a parking spot that opened up.

o.jpgo.jpg