Jump to content

another marketing ploy- just say what it is


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

For whatever reason lulumon decided to call their skorts, skirts.  It's wrong. Just don't underestimate women buyers:   if they want a skirt with a very shorts  liner underneath...they want to know that  immediately before trying/buying. 

Pace Rival Mid-Rise Skirt *Long | Women's Skirts | lululemon  (no this skirt is not long. For many women, it's considered short. For some, too short. I do wear skorts. Skorts work well for women 60+...especially if they cycle to a function)

I do think women are more discriminating now, in what they buy...though too much fast fashion out there.  The very fact that there is a whole generation of women who are willing to buy 2nd hand clothing, is a strong indicator.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



There are so many commercials that take advantage of people's ignorance where it's not illegal but clearly unethical.

From the companies that convert your annuity or long-term settlement into instant cash, giving you a fraction of the Present Value of the money, and urging, "It's your money, use it now!" to Tom Selleck saying he's been around a while and if he thought Reverse Mortgages EVER hurt anyone, he wouldn't be doing the commercial - he was given that line to pitch despite the fact that many laws have been passed to stop Reverse Mortgages from doing the cheating they had done!

Then there are the scam phone calls enabled by the fact no one can trace the origin of the calls because they use a fake number.  The Phone Companies could fix that quick - but then they'd lose the income from places like insurance companies, where an estimator may want to leave a customer a message, but have it recorded as a call from the office, not his cell phone.

Meanwhile, hospitals, office workers, people working at home, etc. are interrupted and billions of dollars of work are lost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

There are so many commercials that take advantage of people's ignorance where it's not illegal but clearly unethical.

From the companies that convert your annuity or long-term settlement into instant cash, giving you a fraction of the Present Value of the money, and urging, "It's your money, use it now!" to Tom Selleck saying he's been around a while and if he thought Reverse Mortgages EVER hurt anyone, he wouldn't be doing the commercial - he was given that line to pitch despite the fact that many laws have been passed to stop Reverse Mortgages from doing the cheating they had done!

Then there are the scam phone calls enabled by the fact no one can trace the origin of the calls because they use a fake number.  The Phone Companies could fix that quick - but then they'd lose the income from places like insurance companies, where an estimator may want to leave a customer a message, but have it recorded as a call from the office, not his cell phone.

Meanwhile, hospitals, office workers, people working at home, etc. are interrupted and billions of dollars of work are lost.

Or telling retirees to use reverse  mortgage on their already paid homes.

Let it be known that I did have reverse mortgage in my self-directed retirement savings plan (not sure of the U.S. equivalent) but it was not super huge and I was able to pay off in 6 yrs., meanwhile pay the mortgage interest to myself. But I was  /am working still.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Skorts work well for women 60+...

Yes. Which is probably why Lulemon calls their product a skirt. Women 60+ are not the target for this item. And the word skort  evokes images of retirees playing golf or doubles tennis. It does not appeal to 20-something women. 
 

Edit: I have one of these skorts. It’s exactly right for cycling to work or restaurants. I wore it pretty much every other day while in Europe, including during our cycling tour in the Netherlands. Lots of useful pockets. One with a zipper and another for cell phone, plus the standard front and back pockets. And Duluth Trading calls it a skort. 
https://www.duluthtrading.com/womens-dry-on-the-fly-skort-46712.html?dwvar_46712_color=INK&cgid=womens-dresses-skorts#selectedRef=productType&prefn1=productType&prefv1=Skorts &feature=wmdb5&start=2&cgid=womens-dresses-skorts

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Yes. Which is probably why Lulemon calls their product a skirt. Women 60+ are not the target for this item. And the word skort  evokes images of retirees playing golf or doubles tennis. It does not appeal to 20-something women. 

Ok, I never thought of this generational gap for a word. :lol: Sigh, just few us gals, cycling ..into coolness/hipsterness. :whistle:B) 

I do find it interesting more women 60+ tend to jog....instead bike. Even in cities with  good, extensive pathway network away from cars.   It must be the mechanical machine...the bike itself. Or just 1 lousy experience on a bike that never fitted them and then, they've written off cycling forever.

Whereas I feel far safer as a cyclist far in isolated, yet open areas vs. jogging solo. Nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And it continues:  I've had alot of women acquaintances, who tell me they don't want to cycle solo in protected pathway areas (removes car danger) because they are afraid of getting flat, etc. Meanwhile I don't even carry a bike pump..   :flirtyeyess: I just have a vague idea where transit train stations are ...I dunno. I just quit worrying like a fusspot long time ago.

These concerns are repeatedly told  to me. Meanwhile they look wistfully at my bike and I. 

Over the years, for sure I've biked long and regularily through wooded areas but with paved paths... I avoid cycling in pitch night blackness down in ravine/valley park areas. It is super dark in those areas. It's enough for me to bike at night in the city on lit  paths and avoid sudden shadows of people, dogs, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

And it continues:  I've had alot of women acquaintances, who tell me they don't want to cycle solo in protected pathway areas (removes car danger) because they are afraid of getting flat

The most common concern about riding a bike to work or to the store that I’ve heard:   “I don’t want to get sweaty.” These are people who live relatively short distances from their workplace or the grocery store. Not more than three miles. I try to explain that using the gears and staying within a comfortable heart rate zone won’t get them too sweaty. No more than strolling along at a leisurely pace. A spritz of lightly scented body mist with alcohol can be cooling if you’re worried about smelling sweaty. And it’s fun to be in motion. But the fear of sweat is strong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

The most common concern about riding a bike to work or to the store that I’ve heard:   “I don’t want to get sweaty.” These are people who live relatively short distances from their workplace or the grocery store. Not more than three miles. I try to explain that using the gears and staying within a comfortable heart rate zone won’t get them too sweaty. No more than strolling along at a leisurely pace. A spritz of lightly scented body mist with alcohol can be cooling if you’re worried about smelling sweaty. And it’s fun to be in motion. But the fear of sweat is strong. 

A confession:  I do change into workwear even though I don't have far to go. However after work, it's cycling somewhere else for fitness/destressng or doing some sort of errand.

I've given up trying to convince some women to bike to work.  Some of them do live far from work.

Now that our organization in an hybrid work mode for office workers only (working at office 1-3 days/wk.)... I would have been trying to talk to them cycling outside of work.. they feel this need to cycle with someone. Ok, I get that especially for newbies unfamiliar with decent routes, etc.  I get the social aspect of cycling with someone.

So I'm probably a  happy hermit compared to many women cyclists.

It is isolating for lst few rides.  However as long  I am cycling  routes I know and neighbourhoods I vaguely know, am ok. I haven't done, what petite did, was some multi-day solo bike touring. 

If I hadn't done some of this solo cycling years before, my sadness for loss  of my cycling dearie partner, would have debillitated/flattened me, cycling-wise.  

****I really recommend every cycling woman to do enough solo cycling and enjoy it, as well with their partner ....long before loss of partner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d like to take another multi-day, fully supported ride. But I’m not interested in camp touring with a fully loaded bike. My body does not do well sleeping on the ground. 

  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I’d like to take another multi-day, fully supported ride. But I’m not interested in camp touring with a fully loaded bike. My body does not do well sleeping on the ground. 

Carolina Tailwinds does them well. I was just looking at the options. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Ok, I never thought of this generational gap for a word. :lol: Sigh, just few us gals, cycling ..into coolness/hipsterness. :whistle:B) 

I do find it interesting more women 60+ tend to jog....instead bike. Even in cities with  good, extensive pathway network away from cars.   It must be the mechanical machine...the bike itself. Or just 1 lousy experience on a bike that never fitted them and then, they've written off cycling forever.

Whereas I feel far safer as a cyclist far in isolated, yet open areas vs. jogging solo. Nope.

My daughter loves Lululemmon gear and wears it daily.  In fact we went there yesterday as she had a gift card.  It’s trendy sure but we’re talking about a nearly 30 YO mom. It’s not “hipster”.  It’s catered towards athletic women or women on the go.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My daughter loves Lululemmon gear and wears it daily.  In fact we went there yesterday as she had a gift card.  It’s trendy sure but we’re talking about a nearly 30 YO mom. It’s not “hipster”.  It’s catered towards athletic women or women on the go.  

It's good she's found a store she loves. She's at a busy time of life and so to have that all figured out, is great. Look online, zoom in on what to try at store and breeze out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It's good she's found a store she loves. She's at a busy time of life and so to have that all figured out, is great. Look online, zoom in on what to try at store and breeze out. 

I googled hipster girl & this is what came up. 
88045AEA-F180-4D08-8124-01F681E5A622.thumb.jpeg.c2c3a491b5f0d0415d9ab695337b12f5.jpeg

Most of the women I see wearing Lululemon out here are like my daughter.  I’d bet $1000 her tights are Lululemon.  Notice the kid on her back & dog bowl in her hand.  That’s a young woman on the go and more of what I see of their demographic.

6EF2E8BD-5664-41A5-92B3-3C85502B2BC4.thumb.jpeg.eb3e8351bc2e8dec67d28fa00510caed.jpeg

 

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...