My daughter beat her husband in a marathon by 14 seconds

JerrySTL

50 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

She started 2 corrals back so didn't pass him; however, her running time was 14 seconds faster than his. She followed a marathon training program while Korey just ran his normal 6-mile route about six times a week. In fact he ran 6 miles the day before the marathon. I've been telling him to take at least one day off before a big race. He's a hard head at times.

Both have done well over 30 marathons over the years. We watched their 3 boys plus another grandson last night. Those boys think that doing things like marathons and century rides is normal. The two 8 year old boys are up to 14 miles on their single speed kids bikes. Both want bikes with gears this year. 

I don't know if they still do, but in the 80's and 90's a lot of top marathoners took a couple days off and did "carbo loading."  They'd fast for two days then eat a ton of spaghetti or other high-carb food, going by the theory the body would absorb more carbs than normal because of the fasting and provide extra energy on race day.  Marathon organizers would hold a spaghetti dinner the night before the marathon.

When I was doing marathons, I was running about 6 miles/day, but every other week I'd run a half-marathon or 10 miler with friends or would run slow a half-mile from my house to a tree in a park where I'd stretch, then run the 6 miles to Fort McHenry and 6 miles back to the tree.  If I had the energy, I'd run the three-mile cross country course I had laid out for the high school team I coached.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

I don't know if they still do, but in the 80's and 90's a lot of top marathoners took a couple days off and did "carbo loading." 

Carbo loading has mostly gone away with the advent of things like GU gels and Gatorade. You still want a diet high in complex carbs the night before and breakfast. However the idea of running yourself low on carbs a few days before has been shown to be counterproductive. 

• Heart 2

My son was running at a high level when I ran my marathon 10 years ago. That took much more focus than my half marathons. Rest before a marathon is huge. The last 2 weeks are a steady taper so you are really craving the run on race day. Usually the day or 2 before is just a couple recon runs to make sure your shoes fit and everything feels ok. 
Nutrition wise, the carb loading is a thing of the past. My night before the race meal was sushi. I stumbled on it my 3rd half marathon. I didn’t want pasta that night so we went to a sushi restaurant in Omaha a friend had recommended. You get carbs, healthy proteins and a side benefit is, at least for me, it helps clean my system in the morning so I don’t have to worry about the porta John lines! 
Training building up to the race was mostly interval runs during the week alternating with tempo rides on my bike. The weekend was a LSD run that gradually built to 20 miles about a month before the marathon before tapering down. Son’s team coach said intervals were the bricks of your running foundation and LSD runs were the mortar. 

• Heart 1