Just so you know (dangerous foods edition)

Randomguy

They were talking about ackee the other day, and saying it get's sold "fresh" so that folks can verify it is still closed, cook it themselves, and see that it has properly gotten rid of the toxins.

I miss the days talking to Aki! He was one of my LF favorites! Akirasho!!!

• Heart 1

Before I toured China in 2001, I read several books and was advised to get a Hepatitus A & B vaccination from my doctor and to be especially wary of shellfish in China.

There were two shots, 6 months apart, and I was going in less than 6 months.  So, instead, my doctor gave me a gamma globulin shot close to when I left for China that would protect me for the 2 weeks I was there.

No one else among the other 26 Americans in our tour group had done gotten shots and, since we always ate in major restaurants or aboard our Yangtze River Cruise ship, often with Westernized menus - especially for breakfast, we weren't exposed to the most dangerous foods.  We saw many strange foods: brains, snakey-things, animal spines that had been hanging all day, etc. in a large market in Chongqing when we had a couple hours to kill before the Giant Pandas at the zoo would be outside and visible.

Fortunately, they apparently were not served to us but Chinese restaurant tables have a big lazy Susan in the middle where bowls of various dishes are placed and you pick what you want from each one.  We didn't always know what we were eating!

image.png.7df2836e8d90940b503f3f36de04348f.png

My only comments about some of this stuff:

• I get  tired of the focus on Chinese eating monkey brains. I think some Westerners believe this is common. It is NOT.  More common is eating cooked (whatever style) cow brains, other cooked offal etc...just like some Westerners or Western chefs on Food Network make such a big deal of prepping it on camera...when other countries have done it for centuries. 
  • I agree that some prudency should be exercised eating seafood in various countries ...if it's cooked that's better.   That said, I did eat raw shrimp on sushi rice when at Tokyo Tsjiki famed fish market and auction.
  • Good warning about rhubarb, etc. 
  • I haven't had a hot dog in um....past 20 years. I like eating all sorts of gourmet sausages.

I did not know about the elderberries - we had an elderberry bush on our property growing up and I enjoyed picking and eating them.  

Otherwise - there's so much good food in the world; I have no desire to eat some of this risky stuff.  Just to say I tried it?  Nuts to that.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Before I toured China in 2001, I read several books and was advised to get a Hepatitus A & B vaccination from my doctor and to be especially wary of shellfish in China.

There were two shots, 6 months apart, and I was going in less than 6 months.  So, instead, my doctor gave me a gamma globulin shot close to when I left for China that would protect me for the 2 weeks I was there.

...in Naples, at the Navy hospital there, we had a whole small ward that was dedicated to enlisted personnel of the Sixth fleet who had ignored the warnings about eating the local shellfish. At that time, hepatitis A was endemic in Naples, and the majority of the native population had experienced and recovered from it as another childhood disease.