So boss is taller, bigger boned

shootingstar

28 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My boss is tiny, probably smaller than you. Never realized it until I visited her office in 2019 and she hugged me and there was barely anything there. 

Now how do you know  how much smaller I am???? True I am shorter than dearie was. Unless you have miraculous visualization skills.

While  there, I met  another colleague I hadn't seen in person for last 2 years.  She voluntarily gave me a book thought I would enjoy ..while she picked up her tin of Christmas chocolates.

It is weird seeing people previously only seen on video or people you haven’t seen since before covid.  I was talking to a guy recently who clearly knew me but I didn’t recognize him.  I saw his badge & thought oh damn he really changed in the past 2 years…

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It is weird seeing people previously only seen on video or people you haven’t seen since before covid.  I was talking to a guy recently who clearly knew me but I didn’t recognize him.  I saw his badge & thought oh damn he really changed in the past 2 years…

How has he changed?  I know I look more tired..

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

She's been managing our group for past 2 yrs. and has never yet had any in-person group staff meeting. She joined our organization during the pandemic.

I went into work today and noticed when she was talking to me, she was alot bigger than what she appears on  camera.

I always find I've missed something when I meet someone in person after only seeing them on video, talking on the phone, etc.

The County Inspections and Permits guy, John, couldn't figure out while on the phone,why I got a violation notice from his department,  I think that made me think he was a younger guy - an older, experienced guy would have figured it out, right?

So when I answered a knock on the door and saw a gray haired guy around 60, I was highly surprised when he said he was John from Inspections and Permits.

The violation was simply that my contractor had never closed-out the building permit - all the inspections had passed. John had taken care of it and handed me the final approval paper.

And I always thought this guy on the right next to me was taller when I saw him on PBS or perform on stage.  He's the famous Chinese Classical Pianist Lang Lang.  My semi-famous piano teacher, the late Shanghai-born Frances Cheng-Koors, knew him well and called him "Bang Bang" to his face because she felt he is a little heavy-handed on the keys!  She couldn't attend a concert in D.C. for which he had sent her two backstage-party passes for after the concert.  She passed them on to me and said, "The concert's sold out, but the company that sold you your piano is sponsoring it and I bet if you call and mention these passes, they'll find tickets for you and one of their people."  So that's how I got to meet Lang Lang!

1805739071_MickLangLang1-lighter_900p.jpg.7aac25d80981c310956002db853072d3.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

12 hours ago, BuffJim said:

My boss is tiny, probably smaller than you. Never realized it until I visited her office in 2019 and she hugged me and there was barely anything there. 

We had a team gathering a couple weeks ago (I missed it), and the new folks were finally seen in person by the rest of the team.  Apparently, one of the younger guys is 5'6", so that made news. And a guy who looks pretty fat on camera actually is just pretty solid.  Interesting how just head/shoulder shots are not really close to enough, but too many folks are "impressed" by that until meeting in person.  

I'm sure I'll be in shock when I see certain nieces and nephews this fall, after not seeing them in person for last 3 yrs.

Some of the  most respected male managers for the organizations I've worked, have been men  --same height as I. That' short enough.

I think on camera from waist up, I look average...until one meets me.  I don't think I look as short as videocam gives.

• Heart 1