Shed cleaning day

maddmaxx

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Wholy carp the mice have turned my shed into a shit hole. (for real)  4 hours later it's cleaned up and there's actually room in there.  Much was thrown out or put out to the street to see if any fool wants it.

Yeah.... I get to do that in a few weeks.

Over the winter more than a few times, I have opened the shed and tossed in the poison bait that should eliminate mice.  Every time I've opened the door to the shed that stuff is GONE.  Repeat.. throw in some more and it's gone again. The mice I have must be immune and like the bait.  

• Awesome 1

At least they didn't chew up the tractor badly this year.  Dryer sheets around the engine may have helped.  Last year they were pulling foam out of the seat vent hole.  This year not so much.  It seems like John Deere has stopped using ignition cables with peanut oil in the insulation.  The three year old battery needed a jump but seems to be holding a charge.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

At least they didn't chew up the tractor badly this year.  Dryer sheets around the engine may have helped.  Last year they were pulling foam out of the seat vent hole.  This year not so much.  It seems like John Deere has stopped using ignition cables with peanut oil in the insulation.  The three year old battery needed a jump but seems to be holding a charge.

Yeah...  I didn't look under the hood at my JD X390 in the shed.   That makes me worry if the mice left it alone.  I'll know soon enough.    The battery has been in the garage and connected to a battery tender so it won't die.   Been there done that with the JD 325, one winter the battery died and could not be revived.  Batteries are expensive.

The JD 325 got to stay in the garage with it's battery also connected to a battery tender.   The 325 has the snow blade, so it's ready to be used.  Soon the snow blade gets removed.  The mice never attacked the 325 when it was in the shed.  It's too old and has 'real' wires, not the wires with soy, or peanut based insulation.  

I got the 2 battery tenders after this last summer.  The X390 is used for mowing.   I used the 325 about once a month for mowing just to keep the motor, etc,., used enough to keep things working.  But that wasn't enough use to keep the battery from going dead.   Now it's always ready to start.

I've read...   when you jump a JD tractor, if you use a car for the jump, NEVER start the car engine, just use the car battery for the jump.   Apparently there is a risk of frying the JD electronics. 

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Yeah...  I didn't look under the hood at my JD X390 in the shed.   That makes me worry if the mice left it alone.  I'll know soon enough.    The battery has been in the garage and connected to a battery tender so it won't die.   Been there done that with the JD 325, one winter the battery died and could not be revived.  Batteries are expensive.

The JD 325 got to stay in the garage with it's battery also connected to a battery tender.   The 325 has the snow blade, so it's ready to be used.  Soon the snow blade gets removed.  The mice never attacked the 325 when it was in the shed.  It's too old and has 'real' wires, not the wires with soy, or peanut based insulation.  

I got the 2 battery tenders after this last summer.  The X390 is used for mowing.   I used the 325 about once a month for mowing just to keep the motor, etc,., used enough to keep things working.  But that wasn't enough use to keep the battery from going dead.   Now it's always ready to start.

I've read...   when you jump a JD tractor, if you use a car for the jump, NEVER start the car engine, just use the car battery for the jump.   Apparently there is a risk of frying the JD electronics. 

I don't use cars anymore.  They are too prone to damage.  I have a jump box which doubles as an air compressor and which I take to the races to top off my race car batteries between rounds.

• Heart 1