What do you do to relieve stress?

Square Wheels

• surf the 'Net
  • cycling...which I didn't do today. No good reason.
  • reading (non-fiction)
  • blogging (which happens in spurts)
  • stretching floor exercises (simple yoga, pilates and tai chi all mixed up exercises)
  • chat/email friends
  • making art (mixed media paintings, etc.)....not done in past 3 yrs.( I have supplies ...just need to get my azz going..)
  • and  to cap relaxation....a warm shower several hrs. before bed

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

Depends on what is causing the stress.   In the short term, likely to find the cat and just pet her and watch her just be relaxed.  Bonus points if she's napping somewhere in the sun.

Try to get away for a break - take a walk around the grounds at work, take a walk at a local park that also has some farm animals, or try to meet up with my sisters and get a change of scenery for the day.  If  I'm stressed, I may start the day "acting" casual but by the end of the day, I have gotten what was stressing me out of my mind.   I also try to take some time at the end of the day where I'm relaxing and not looking at work things.

If the news is stressing me, I try to change the channel and stop reading online news.  It's hard to be stressed watching Hallmark Channel.

If I'm at work and can't get away, I'll try to take at least a few minutes to find a friend to talk to, or skim a non-work website.  I may have ordered a few things from Amazon or other websites while taking a brief distraction break. :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

In all seriousness you would be amazed what sitting on a bucket could do for you.  

60+ mph fastballs coming at your face from 43 feet away.  You really cannot focus on anything else at all.  It takes away all of the chatter in your head. 

I also like a quick 30 min on the peloton.  It has a similar effect. 

• Heart 4

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I retired.  That eliminated a LOT of stress.

I found that riding my bike helped a lot, when I worked.  I'd come home from work and tell WoBG, I'm going for a ride.   I rode more miles when I worked... go figure...  

Giving up... and just agreeing with WoBG helps too. 

Drinking helps.

I thought that I would ride more when I retired but it didn't happen. 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

In all seriousness you would be amazed what sitting on a bucket could do for you.  

60+ mph fastballs coming at your face from 43 feet away.  You really cannot focus on anything else at all.  It takes away all of the chatter in your head. 

I also like a quick 30 min on the peloton.  It has a similar effect. 

Hard pass on the 60+ mph fastballs.  :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

It has never occurred to me to clean and de clutter as an antidote to stress. 

It burns off some energy and makes me feel at peace. It also clears away distractions, opens up desktops and shelves, and helps me to simplify. There’s also peace in letting go of stuff I never use. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• 1 year later...

For me it depends on what is causing it.  If I know something specific is causing me stress I usually go for a ride and by the time I get back I have an actionable plan.

If it is just general stress, I go for a fun dive.  One of the first thing stress does is makes an issue seem bigger than it is, and by going for a dive it forces me to concentrate on what I am doing so I end up 'stepping away' from the problem, and when I surface, it appears less large than  before and more 'consumable'.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:22 PM, Square Wheels said:

These don't always work for me, but some that I try.

• meditation
  • playing guitar
  • running
  • riding
  • talking with a friend
  • listening to music
  • driving on a warm day with the top down

I've done most of these.  I seem to get more into the feel of the music playing the piano and it relaxes me more than when I play guitar.

Talking to a friend is probably the one that works best for me.

Any sort of exercise tends to get my mind off of problems.

A bottle of wine and some cheese and summer sausage chunks help get me to sleep when something's bothering me.

I've been very fortunate that I haven't had any serious stress since the ordeal of my 2020 house fire then 16 months before it was rebuilt, mostly due to the pandemic.  After that and the excellent help from State Farm Insurance and the extremely lucky financial boon it turned out to be, nothing has bothered me much.