If you were asked to play a round of golf..

Wilbur

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Probably.  I am good for comic relief.  I also keep the beer cart people busy, 

I am good for a laugh but I do not keep the beer people busy.  I guess it would really depend how serious the others were and how big the wagers were.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

..to basically fill the foursome, would you do it? 

I may be playing Pinehurst today at the request of my boss.  Haven't decided.  We will see how the thunderstorms and tornadoes hold out. 

My FIL had a house in Pinehurst for 15 years.  He was overlooking a tee (6th maybe) on course 4.  I really liked the area.

To the question, I suck at golf so you don’t want me filling in a foursome, especially if the other 3 can play.

• Heart 1

I would accept but I wouldn’t enjoy it. I’ve found that serious golfers assume that everyone else is serious also. They start to give unwanted advice on how to improve my game. I didn’t ask for your advice. I hit the ball six times. Pick it up and move to the next tee box. Drink beer between swings. That’s how I golf. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have never driven a bus in the mountains.  never golfed there either.  

I am not sure where Pinehurst is but I am pretty sure that Wilbur's palatial shack is on a mountain in Canuckistan, accessible only by flying water bus.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I would accept but I wouldn’t enjoy it. I’ve found that serious golfers assume that everyone else is serious also. They start to give unwanted advice on how to improve my game. I didn’t ask for your advice. I hit the ball six times. Pick it up and move to the next tee box. Drink beer between swings. That’s how I golf. 

Yep - I play golf like I play tennis - for fun and with a modicum of skill.  If I'm playing with casual players, it a blast, but if I'm playing with an actual "golfer", there is no way they will be happy with my play and pace of play.  Maybe when I retire, that becomes a different story, but I wouldn't want to torture other folks who were hoping for a competitive round of golf.  As it is, my youngest brother is pulling away from me and my other brother as he plays more and more.  I can see a point where he no longer thinks we're good options for a round.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am not sure where Pinehurst is but I am pretty sure that Wilbur's palatial shack is on a mountain in Canuckistan, accessible only by flying water bus.

South Central NC. It’s a golf destination and course #2 is a world class course that has hosted the US Open several times.  

My FIL would take us for walks on the course just after the course closed and before sunset and the grass is so well maintained the first time I walked it  I had to touch the grass to be sure it’s real.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Does it come with a shirt? I'd certainly play Pinehurst for a nice Pinehurst golf shirt.

My FIL gifted us a lot of Pinehurst swag over the years. I have a hoodie that my FIL gave me for Christmas.  I was there the following summer & saw it in the pro shop for $80!?!?  Their stuff is crazy expensive. 

• Heart 2

Not unless it was on a course with windmills and other mini-golf enhancements.

But if I could play decently and it would help out the boss (who from your reports sounds like a nice guy, then I'd try), but I'd make sure the boss knew my recent results and give him a chance to back out if he wanted.

• Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Probably.  I am good for comic relief.  I also keep the beer cart people busy, 

When in the military, while I was Mental Health, I would play with an Orthopedic Surgeon. He would keep telling me how 800mg of Thorazine would help out my game. Obviously, I wouldn't fall for that, but don't know if it was to relax me to improve my swing, or deal with the delusions that I could actually play golf.

• Haha 3