Ok! Ok! I'm awake this morning!

MickinMD

First, the rain hit the side of my house and windows so hard it woke me up at 3:45 am.

I looked outside my front door to confirm it was rain making the noise and saw three packages had been delivered late the evening before and were placed at the outside edge of my 8-foot wide, roofed, front porch so they all got good and wet.  One package - veggie seeds - was off the porch and on a step directly in the rain.  It's plastic package partly shielded it.

So instead of getting back to sleep, I now had to rescue the contents of the packages.

Two, my new tailgater's lawn chair and plastic seedling pots, were in sealed packages inside.

The other was about 50 yellow pear cherry tomato seeds and the seed packet was slightly soaked.  Dry, they tend to say good for several years - you soak a few in a soaking-wet paper towel each year to make sure they're still viable.  So, even though I only need several seeds for this year, I careful cut the seed packet open, placed the seeds on a paper towel - they're tiny (about 1/32") and that took time to carefully get them all out.  I put another paper towel on top and pressed the towels together, hoping to dry any damp seeds before they decide to sprout.

Now, by this time is was pushing 5 am and I was too awake to fall asleep.

So, I watch a little CNN Ukraine stuff and a rerun of Scrubs, then was hungry enough to make breakfast: ham and cheese omelets and coffee.

The meal made me doze off around 6:30 am.

At 7:15 am, I was awakened by a loud drilling sound.

I looked outside and there were four, big county utilities trucks and they were drilling through the asphalt at the edge of the road.

At 8:15, the drilling stopped, and a backhoe tore out a 4' x 4' section of the asphalt while a worker standing in the across-the-street neighbor's yard was plunging a rod into the ground, apparently trying to find something within several inches of the surface.

I went out and asked and they said it's the sewage line problem and they're fixing it and putting in a big manhole cover that should have been there.

Thank God I park my car on the side street about 30' away from the main street.

Now it's 9:30 am and it's finally quiet enough I can hear the TV without turning the sound way up.

Anyway, I'm awake for the day.  I think, for a good project on a rainy day, I'll plant the yellow pear seeds today since I have the 6-pot plastic units. Seeds for Supersweet 100 cherry tomatoes and San Marzano plum tomatoes (THE pizza sauce tomatoes, blocky with small seed compartments) are supposed to arrive today.  The 1020 no-hole plastic trays (10" x 20") that each hold 4 of the 6-pot units are supposed to arrive today, as well, and two can fit on each of the two oversized tray tables in my enclosed back porch's sunny windows - that's up to 96 plants, though I won't need half that many unless I get orders for plants from neighbors and friends.  I'll put the 6-pot units on a cookie sheet until the 1020 trays arrived.

I have the 6-cell trays, four each will fit in the 1020 trays (10 stacked in picture), Goodbye peat pots!

2087424698_6-cellseedtrayswithholes.JPG.32da32d15c12af0a15825983b931b356.JPG 1018250326_1020no-holegrowingtrays-eachholds46-celltrayspicalone.JPG.877e6167ba4587a7851f08829906aca2.JPG

• Heart 3

I just love package tracking reports. Many times I am standing out front for the Amazon driver to give me my stuff. I think if I were under different circumstances, I would build a box and put it on the porch. Then they could just drop my stuff in the box and close the lid.

I used to manage a commercial greenhouse.  We used a crap ton of those 6 pack trays and holders.  Built a table to fill the trays, wet them and then poke a hole in each pot to drop a sprouted seedling plug into.  We grew a lot of the annual flowers and veggies that we sold onsite.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I used to manage a commercial greenhouse.  We used a crap ton of those 6 pack trays and holders.  Built a table to fill the trays, wet them and then poke a hole in each pot to drop a sprouted seedling plug into.  We grew a lot of the annual flowers and veggies that we sold onsite.

Didja sell dope on the side??

7 hours ago, donkpow said:

I just love package tracking reports. Many times I am standing out front for the Amazon driver to give me my stuff. I think if I were under different circumstances, I would build a box and put it on the porch. Then they could just drop my stuff in the box and close the lid.

We have a package box. It has a clear sign. Multiple times they have sat the boxes on top of the box. 

• Haha 2