Is This An Issue?

Razors Edge

I haven't had a true land line in two decades, so maybe I'm not up-to-date on caller ID and cell phones, but when I was in the office, I don't remember caller ID being noticeable on our VOIP system either.  Does your office phone display a caller's name or just the number? I'm trying to even remember what our phones showed, but I don't think it showed name and number, just number.  Even to my cell phone, I think it just shows a name/number if tied to a contact in my phone, but not a caller ID name for unknown folks.

New hires are facing the ultimate team icebreaker: Who pays your cellphone bill?

Millions of workers have quit old jobs for new ones in the past year, and caller ID is outing young professionals—and some not-so-young professionals—for being on their parents’ family plans. 

When Nicole McCauley, 35 years old, started her new job, executives at the firm initially screened her calls. Ms. McCauley, who changed her last name after she got married, said her managers didn’t recognize the name Roger Batchelor—which was what showed up when she rang. Mr. Batchelor is her father.

The first time it happened, she made a joke. The second time felt worse.

“This is getting slightly embarrassing,” she recalled thinking.

Ms. McCauley’s parents had to go to the Verizon store to change the caller ID for her line, she said. Then she practiced calling her 95-year-old grandmother, whom she knew had caller ID on a landline, to make sure her managers would see her name when she phoned.

Now she wonders whether it’s time to make a new family mobile plan with her husband. He is on his parents’ plan, too.

During the first part of the pandemic, moving business calls to personal devices was no big deal. Workers already had colleagues’ mobile numbers saved in their contacts. But as Americans looked for new positions, cold-calls with recruiters, new bosses and business contacts opened up awkward conversations about who is footing the bill and when it is time to cut the cord on the family cellphone plan. Some carriers set an account’s billing name as the default caller ID name.

Hybrid return-to-office plans have also meant that employees are calling desk lines equipped with caller ID from their mobile devices. Some cellphone users have caller ID on those devices, too, widening the potential for embarrassment.

Dima Maddah, 34, who works in digital marketing, is using caller-ID mix-ups to her advantage by getting out of professional calls she doesn’t want to take. She started a new job in the fall and believes her personal cellphone number—and her father’s name attached to it—were added to a sales database soon after.

Sparked by her new role, sales reps began calling her and asking for her dad. Their mistake has been a good excuse to say “wrong number” and hang up, she said. The influx of calls was the first time she realized that using her personal cellphone revealed she was on her family’s plan. Ms. Maddah typically doesn’t dial up colleagues or friends.

“I usually text people,” she said.

That realization came publicly for Derek Forbort, a 30-year-old hockey player for the Boston Bruins, when he was on the Boston sports radio show Zolak & Bertrand. 

“Is there a female on the line?” host Scott Zolak asked when Mr. Forbort called in November. Another host, Marc Bertrand, asked who Mary was, referring to the name that popped up on caller ID.

“Um, no comment on that,” Mr. Forbort said. After more pressing, he copped to being on the family plan—Mary is his mom—but said he pays his portion of the bill. After he hung up, the hosts razzed him, wondering if Mr. Forbort, who makes $3 million a year playing defense, still got gas money from his folks.

I see the number and often a name. Sometimes the name matches, sometimes not. I've always assumed it was the name of the spouse if it doesn't match, but never thought it could the person who owned the account. 

We had soft phones for a while. Those are stupid.

before I retired I had to answer every call because it could have been a new contractor. Now I'm hit or miss. About once a month I get a call from contractors from the past. The phone is pretty good about filtering scam calls. The name & number flashes & then shows Scam. 

For the 35 y/o that is still on the 'rents plan? F'n babies. Grow up & own your life. The 30 y/o pro hockey player on his parents plan?  Opponent fans need to ride him hard

Eliphino.

No more office phones, it all goes straight to to Teams on the computer. I have a USB headset I've never even taken out of the wrapper. I forwarded all calls (they're aren't many) to my cell (I brought the #, company put it on their plan), if someone calls my extension, it shows up as me on my cell b/c I have myself as a contact (so I can share my contact deets to others).

The kids are on their own plans. They were well into adulthood before that happened, but it did save them a fair amount of money over the years.

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

The kids are on their own plans. They were well into adulthood before that happened, but it did save them a fair amount of money over the years.

Yeah - it seems to me it is actually a smart move for kids to pay the $20/line family share sort of cost rather than $60 or whatever for their own account.  I get that kids are milking stuff way longer than in the old days, but I really have no sympathy for AT&T or Verizon (or Netflix or Prime for that matter), and think if folks want to go the "group" route to screw those companies, I say, "Go for it!".

Truth be told I don’t know as I keep my VOIP off and let all calls roll to Vmail where I get an email.

Anyone who needs to track me down calls my cell or hits me on teams.  Only solicitors call my “desk” number.

We got a new VOIP system here about 5 years ago.  I had all my calls routed to my cell.  I have a handset on my credenza that I have never used - never.  If you aren't on my contacts list you can leave a message.  I have the cell set to ignore unknown callers.  It also allows calls from my outbound recents list to come through.  I don't see call without a caller ID because of that.

We have soft-phone capability with the system and there are a couple work form home peeps that love their soft phone software.

Hmm...unlisted number for ages.

I haven't used any VOIP with any employee in ages, even in the office several times / yr. in last 2 yrs. so far. :whistle: We do alot of corporate network MS Teams audiochat   (if it isn't videconferencing occasionally)...which feels like phone style.  In my job, I don't work with external folks. It's all internal.