Trusting people around you

BR46

Around here it's not uncommon to put money on the bar and every time the bar tender brings you a drink they take what they need. 

Wo46 and I stopped at a bar to pickup some donations for the Humane Society and since this little bar has excellent food we decided to grab a bite to eat. The guy sitting next to me sets his money on the bar and has gone outside several times for a smoke and I had several opportunities to just pickup the money and walk out....no one knows us at this place. 

20220406_182551.thumb.jpg.6de6d0f050b7a97dfd342fb0fde97879.jpg

6 minutes ago, BR46 said:

There's a few of us that meet up on Tuesday afternoon and one day we were all sitting in different seats. When the beer delivery guy came in he stopped and said.....you guys are all in the wrong seats.

I hope you switched to the correct seats. You could end up with the wrong drinks.

• Heart 3

We went to Gatlinburg once and floated down a river on inner tubes. All kinds of stupid rules. NO ALCOHOL. NO DRINKING. NO FUN.  It was pretty miserable. 

We did the same thing in Wisconsin a few summers back. They rent you a special tube for your beer cooler. Oh, you didn’t bring a cooler?  You can borrow one. We sell cold beer in the bar. If the kids need to use the restroom they can just go into the bar, bathrooms are just around the corner from where Dave is sitting there. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

This was common w/ the regulars at the Cheers I used to hang oot at. I like this method.

I like it because I walk in, put my 20 on the bar and when the 20 is gone I go home.

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, BR46 said:

Around here it's not uncommon to put money on the bar and every time the bar tender brings you a drink they take what they need. 

Wo46 and I stopped at a bar to pickup some donations for the Humane Society and since this little bar has excellent food we decided to grab a bite to eat. The guy sitting next to me sets his money on the bar and has gone outside several times for a smoke and I had several opportunities to just pickup the money and walk out....no one knows us at this place. 

20220406_182551.thumb.jpg.6de6d0f050b7a97dfd342fb0fde97879.jpg

Wow! $100!  In the bars around me, people do the same thing and may leave a $20 sitting on the bar.  But $100?  That's risky, especially if someone walking past the bar stools notices it and is tempted when no one is looking!

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

@BR46 my local cheers has wooden nickels. So if you buy someone a drink and they aren't ready yet, they get a wooden nickel as a marker:) Sometimes the owner would pass them oot for a drink on the house, just because he's a nice guy.

We call them drink chips and when I fix things at the corner bar I get paid in drink chips.

Wo46 said why don't they just give you cash instead of chips but she doesn't complain when we have 15 drink chips and we go out for couple of drinks and don't spend any money. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

We call them drink chips and when I fix things at the corner bar I get paid in drink chips.

Wo46 said why don't they just give you cash instead of chips but she doesn't complain when we have 15 drink chips and we go out for couple of drinks and don't spend any money. 

I rather have the. Chips

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

Funny story...one Tuesday afternoon I walk into the bar and Kevin is the only one in the place and he's sitting in my spot. As soon as I walk in Kevin said oh shit I'm in your spot. I said that's OK I'll sit where Don sits. 

20 minutes later Don walked in...looks at me....looks over at Kevin and said to Kevin.....you f@$ked up the seating again didn't you. 

:D Cheers is funny because its relatable.

• Heart 2

When we've been on the road and decided to stop for the day and walk into a little corner bar you can tell when you are in that kinda place. When you walk in everybody stops and looks at who walked in. 

I've already asked where can I sit that I'm not in somebody's spot.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Went to a little neighborhood bar in Philly once with a buddy while I was active duty. We walked in, everyone turns and stares at me. My buddy (who was also Navy) yelled out “He’s ok. He’s with me and he’s Navy”. Everyone turned back around and went back to what they were doing. 

They had little tiny cups (30cc??), anyways you would buy however many beers you wanted and they gave you that many “cups”. You would then redeem those cups for a real beer when you were ready. People had cups stacked in front of them at a seat. Like stacks of 20 or more. If they wanted to buy someone a drink they would just hand them a cup. I never bought a drink that night, but I still had plenty of cups stacked in front of me. 

We were drinking Rolling Rock on tap. I think the real beers were like 8 ounce pours. Pretty sure they were like a dollar. But they were half price while the flyers were playing. That’s when the cups in front of me really started piling up. People would come up the the bar with a 20 and say give me 5, put two on each of those guys, give the military guys 3 each, etc…. 

it was truly one of the most fun experiences I ever had at a bar. We drank from 3 in the afternoon until way past my bedtime. 

Circa '74 wasn't a very happy time for service members out on the street. Me & Shulson went to a Philly's game in mufti. After the national anthem, the guy behind us asks if we're military. We said we were. Every time the "Gitch Yer Ice Cold Beer Here" guy came around, someone different bought beers for us.

Excellent times.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Circa '74 wasn't a very happy time for service members out on the street. Me & Shulson went to a Philly's game in mufti. After the national anthem, the guy behind us asks if we're military. We said we were. Every time the "Gitch Yer Ice Cold Beer Here" guy came around, someone different bought beers for us.

Excellent times.

Circa 1984 we were just as likely to get called baby killer or have someone thank us for our service.  I had been been yelled at by aging hippies and was thanked several times. One time I was thanked by David Hartman, the former GMA host.  But you just never knew what was going to come at you when in public in uniform.

It seems attitudes really changed after the 1st Gulf War. 

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Went to a little neighborhood bar in Philly once with a buddy while I was active duty. We walked in, everyone turns and stares at me. My buddy (who was also Navy) yelled out “He’s ok. He’s with me and he’s Navy”. Everyone turned back around and went back to what they were doing. 

They had little tiny cups (30cc??), anyways you would buy however many beers you wanted and they gave you that many “cups”. You would then redeem those cups for a real beer when you were ready. People had cups stacked in front of them at a seat. Like stacks of 20 or more. If they wanted to buy someone a drink they would just hand them a cup. I never bought a drink that night, but I still had plenty of cups stacked in front of me. 

We were drinking Rolling Rock on tap. I think the real beers were like 8 ounce pours. Pretty sure they were like a dollar. But they were half price while the flyers were playing. That’s when the cups in front of me really started piling up. People would come up the the bar with a 20 and say give me 5, put two on each of those guys, give the military guys 3 each, etc…. 

it was truly one of the most fun experiences I ever had at a bar. We drank from 3 in the afternoon until way past my bedtime. 

Either this is common in Philly neighborhood bars or I have been there. Got a stack of cups and gave them away to people.  I like Rolling Rock on tap

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Either this is common in Philly neighborhood bars or I have been there. Got a stack of cups and gave them away to people.  I like Rolling Rock on tap

We had an Army buddy from PA who would take collections from the guys, make a run home & bring back cases of Rolling Rock as we couldn’t get it on base.  I never had it on tap but enjoyed the beer in bottles back in the day.  

• Heart 1

Not out here, but back east I met four old friends at a local bar for drinks and food one evening while I was in town.  There were maybe 20 people in the bar.  Some food and a few drinks in, a major thunder storm rolled down the valley and the power went out.  After about an hour of sitting in the dark and sipping ever warming beer, the waitress came over and told us they had to close.  She then told us that with no power they could not ring us out and could we stop in tomorrow and square up.

The bar opened the next day at 11, I went in at 1145 to pay up and the waitress(same girl) told me I was the last one to come in and pay.  I love the Maritimes

• Heart 4

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Not out here, but back east I met four old friends at a local bar for drinks and food one evening while I was in town.  There were maybe 20 people in the bar.  Some food and a few drinks in, a major thunder storm rolled down the valley and the power went out.  After about an hour of sitting in the dark and sipping ever warming beer, the waitress came over and told us they had to close.  She then told us that with no power they could not ring us out and could we stop in tomorrow and square up.

The bar opened the next day at 11, I went in at 1145 to pay up and the waitress(same girl) told me I was the last one to come in and pay.  I love the Maritimes

If you listen to the news you tend to believe that everyone is evil and out to get you but I believe that's a small percentage. Most of the world is good and willing to help. 

There was one guy that got caught stealing money off the bar and was banned from every tavern in town. 

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, BR46 said:

If you listen to the news you tend to believe that everyone is evil and out to get you but I believe that's a small percentage. Most of the world is good and willing to help. 

Yeah, we hear about all the outliers. If it bleeds, it reads.

At my corner bar the regulars are so nice and helpful that they wanted to make sure that Ryan (the part time bar tender) practice safe sex......this was on the bulletin board. 

20220407_144710.thumb.jpg.884752e3d7afddaa78f05648f048765b.jpg

21 hours ago, BR46 said:

I had several opportunities to just pickup the money and walk out....no one knows us at this place. 

My guess... you would never do that.

I'd never leave any money (let alone $100) on a bar.  I've have given my CC to the bar tender, and I run a tab with the CC.   So far, I've always remembered to get the card back. 

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

My guess... you would never do that.

I'd never leave any money (let alone $100) on a bar.  I've have given my CC to the bar tender, and I run a tab with the CC.   So far, I've always remembered to get the card back. 

We were at a corner bar in a residential neighborhood with a total of 12 bar stools and a few tables with another 11 or 12 stools. 

I was just at the corner bar a few blocks from my house a Marshall left his wallet, cellphone and half of a beer on the bar and want nextdoor for a haircut. 

He just grabbed a few bucks out of his wallet and left.

Welcome to small town USA

• Awesome 1