I just ate an Impossible Burger

groupw

The daughter of our neighbor is vegan. At the party, my daughter made some veggie dishes. Neighbor daughter brought some Impossible burgers. She asked me to grill 3, then left 2 for us to sample. She said my grilling was “the bomb”!

We decided to reheat them tonight in the air fryer. They were tasty! Not quite like fresh beef, but indistinguishable from preformed patties that you see in the freezer section.  
I had heard they were high in sodium. OMG! Nearly 4 times a standard ground beef burger! With my blood pressure, that’s a hard no!

• Heart 4

8 hours ago, groupw said:

The daughter of our neighbor is vegan. At the party, my daughter made some veggie dishes. Neighbor daughter brought some Impossible burgers. She asked me to grill 3, then left 2 for us to sample. She said my grilling was “the bomb”!

We decided to reheat them tonight in the air fryer. They were tasty! Not quite like fresh beef, but indistinguishable from preformed patties that you see in the freezer section.  
I had heard they were high in sodium. OMG! Nearly 4 times a standard ground beef burger! With my blood pressure, that’s a hard no!

The sodium would be a No-go for me. If I’m going to have a high sodium food I’ll save it for beer or bacon, I ain’t gonna waste it on that lame shit. 

• Heart 1

I had a couple plant based burger patties left over from a tailgate. Friend of our is veggie tarian. I grilled them a couple nights ago to see how they were. Not bad attol. It's definitely not a meat burger. But better than cardboard that I was expecting    

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, groupw said:

Impossible burgers are also very high in unhealthy, saturated fats.  They are highly processed, which means more salt and other artificial products to keep it fresh. There is limited research available on the long-term safety of soy leghemoglobin in the Impossible and Beyond Burgers.

Going on a vegan diet - usually done in pursuit of good health - doesn't quite mesh with Impossible Burgers or Beyond Burger, though they are both thought, overall, healthier than ground beef.

Beyond Burger is generally thought to be a little healthier than Impossible Burger because of lowed Saturated Fat and Carbs.

The table below is per 4 oz.  90% lean ground beef has 217 kcal (Calories), 12 g of fat, 5 g saturated fat, 0 g of carbs, sugar, and fiber, 26 g of protein, and 70 g Sodium.

Unless you're simply against eating animals, there's not a lot of nutritional benefit eating the Impossible or Beyond Burgers over lean ground beef.

image.thumb.png.39a8889f602288441036b4e3b866f12c.png

11 hours ago, groupw said:

I like them as a substitute.  The Impossible Whopper at BK is quite tasty.  I generally eat a burger for the "fixings" - so mine are loaded with lettuce, pickles, onions, ketchup, mustard, etc. - and the Impossible Whopper does a great job pulling it all together.  Luckily, for me, salt is not an issue, and the times I might eat an Impossible Burger, usually I am coming back from somewhere - like a ride - and likely can use a bit of extra sodium :)

• Heart 2

I have never eaten one and likely won’t unless served to me (not vegan and nobody I know is) but… I once had a grilled portobello mushroom cap with all  fixings like a burger.  I thought it was tasty and for sure would do that again.  I’d just as well eat another mushroom burger than a beyond beef burger.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Impossible Burgers are neither impossible nor burgers.

#fail

Well...

burger: "a dish consisting of a round patty of ground beef, or sometimes another savory ingredient, that is fried or grilled and typically served in a split bun or roll with various condiments and toppings."

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well...

burger: "a dish consisting of a round patty of ground beef, or sometimes another savory ingredient, that is fried or grilled and typically served in a split bun or roll with various condiments and toppings."

Now you're just making up crap.  We all know what a burger is and that ain't one.

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I have never eaten one and likely won’t unless served to me (not vegan and nobody I know is) but… I once had a grilled portobello mushroom cap with all  fixings like a burger.  I thought it was tasty and for sure would do that again.  I’d just as well eat another mushroom burger than a beyond beef burger.

I like grilled portobello mushrooms!  I will order them when they are an option. WoW told me she texted our neighbor that it was good, but the high sodium count means I can’t do them. She texted back maybe that explains why her daughter’s BP shot up recently!  

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, groupw said:

I like grilled portobello mushrooms!  I will order them when they are an option. WoW told me she texted our neighbor that it was good, but the high sodium count means I can’t do them. She texted back maybe that explains why her daughter’s BP shot up recently!  

Interesting to look at the Whopper vs Impossible Whopper where the sodium is higher, but not "that much" higher:

image.png.21ff30e6cff138dfd2df75509310f524.pngimage.png.fc4d43472dec275e419932e2d22ecdf8.png

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Interesting to look at the Whopper vs Impossible Whopper where the sodium is higher, but not "that much" higher:

Beyond Burger looks like it is the higher sodium option when comparing it to a regular burger. At Carl's Jr, the Famous Star with Cheese is one of many burgers that can have a BB instead, and the calories, sodium, and fat are the big difference. 

image.thumb.png.907964bf34366210d2ee4b5f246cc70c.png

image.thumb.png.aef6de121f08980e0e6f7c984b321445.png

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I had a quinoa one the other night :)  

You might of had something that looked like smashed together quinoa but it had nothing to do with a burger.  If you think so the marketing creeps are in your head.

• Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You might of had something that looked like smashed together quinoa but it had nothing to do with a burger.  If you think so the marketing creeps are in your head.

Trader Joes NEVER disappoints!  Quinoa cowboy burger!  I pretended I was @jsharr when I ate it.

webp-1280.webp

10 hours ago, groupw said:

I looked up the Impossible burger nutrition values vs ground beef. 70/30 ground beef has about 90 mg of sodium for 4 oz. The Impossible Burger has 370. 2300 mg is RDA for sodium. Most Americans consume 3400. 

Yeah, that's why I compared the ones at fast food joints - ie "equals" in the sense that they are created by BK or Carl's Jr to taste the same.  Generally, not many folks eat just a burger patty (of any kind) straight off a grill.  Ground beef is dressed up in some way - whether adding a specific blend of spices (including salt) or other additives (chopped onions, bread crumbs, whatever folks decide).  In the end, there is a burger patty, and then a hamburger.  In the BK and CJ comparisons, you see a more realistic apples-to-apples comparison of the FINISHED product that folks actually consume.  So, when a person is getting a "burger" at BK, whether it is ground beef based or Impossible/Beyond based, they're getting 1/2 their daily sodium - with the Impossible/Beyond having more, but %age wise, not as dramatic as one might expect. 330 more in the Beyond, and 180 more in the Impossible.  Balancing across the other nutritional components more/less fat, more/less calories, more/less protein, and more/less carbs, fiber, & sugars, gives them all relative equality.  

11 hours ago, groupw said:

I looked up the Impossible burger nutrition values vs ground beef. 70/30 ground beef has about 90 mg of sodium for 4 oz. The Impossible Burger has 370.

So for the ground beef - is that 90 mg of sodium what's in the been when you start?  I generally don't use a lot of added salt in my diet, but I do salt the crap out of a beef burger before it goes on the grill.  That salt's got to do a lot of work with everything that goes on a burger.  

I do think the Burger King menu - comparing two finished sandwiches - is probably the better comparison.

I do like the Impossible burgers (Beyond, less so)... often I find myself eating them when I'm out, because with the dairy restriction sometimes it's just easier to order something vegan.

• Heart 1