You 'no pulp' people make me sick

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I get the OJ with extra pulp, because it tastes so much better, plus you get some additional fiber the pansies don't get in their sterile 'OJ lite'.

Grow a pair and get real OJ, you wussies!

Where do you think your extra pulp comes from? It’s from all the “no pulp” drinks sold. So, you’re welcome.

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Because they are afraid of pulp?  "Oh, I am SO delicate, I will Shirley die a horrible death if any pulp reaches my virginal lips!  Oh, the humanity!""  

:D 

Sugar, man! Like shooting up with an eight ball* of pure sugar!

* using my cool drug references I have no idea about.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, jsharr said:

If you have to drink it, drink it in moderation and go for the highest pulp level possible, as that is where many of the health benefits lie.  Also, remember that a day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine.

Or...eat an orange.

41 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Are you giving away overabundance of fruit or  do you actually cook it up/freeze it in bulk?  Since we don't grow oranges up north, what do locals normally do with too many  oranges...orange juice or?

...I keep some in buckets, juice some of it, eat some of it, give away some to the neighbors. and the past couple of years have given a lot of limes and mandarins to the women from Central America, who drive over from somewhere to clean house for the people across the street. Some of it goes bad, but that's part of the business of growing food.  A lot of stuff goes bad before it reaches the end consumer.

Most of what I grow keeps pretty well outdoors, in the shade, in buckets.  Some of it will hang on the tree for several weeks or a month before it absolutely has to be picked, getting riper and sweeter.

I started in juicing the last Navel Oranges (a late variety) a couple of weeks ago.  There's not that much juice in an individual orange, so it takes 20-30 of them to squeeze a quart of juice.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I keep some in buckets, juice some of it, eat some of it, give away some to the neighbors. and the past couple of years have given a lot of limes and mandarins to the women from Central America, who drive over from somewhere to clean house for the people across the street. Some of it goes bad, but that's part of the business of growing food.  A lot of stuff goes bad before it reaches the end consumer.

Most of what I grow keeps pretty well outdoors, in the shade, in buckets.  Some of it will hang on the tree for several weeks or a month before it absolutely has to be picked, getting riper and sweeter.

I started in juicing the last Navel Oranges (a late variety) a couple of weeks ago.  There's not that much juice in an individual orange, so it takes 20-30 of them to squeeze a quart of juice.

Those women would be grateful for the limes, etc.  I don't think I've used a fresh lime ...ever. I just use lemon. I know, it's not the same.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Those women would be grateful for the limes, etc.  I don't think I've used a fresh lime ...ever. I just use lemon. I know, it's not the same.

...in her halting English, she explained that there was some sort of dessert dish she makes with limes...probably those little Mexican limes that you get with everything you order in Mexico. These are Bearss limes, which are larger and with a thicker skin.  But yeah, they do taste and smell different.  Most of the Japanese and Vietnamese noodle places here serve lime wedges with your bowl of ramen or pho

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Are you giving away overabundance of fruit or  do you actually cook it up/freeze it in bulk?  Since we don't grow oranges up north, what do locals normally do with too many  oranges...orange juice or?

Our neighbors trees generally get picked to about 60% (all but the very top) and the rest just falls & rots.  It’s difficult to get the fruit up top, even with a ladder.  You really need a cherry picker which most don’t have. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Our neighbors trees generally get picked to about 60% (all but the very top) and the rest just falls & rots.  It’s difficult to get the fruit up top, even with a ladder.  You really need a cherry picker which most don’t have. 

My wife's dad had a lemon tree.  We loved needing a lemon for a recipe, and just grabbing one off the tree.  Saw plenty of orange trees, but usually back on folks side or back yards so couldn't easily swipe a few.  

• Heart 2

You should be thanking those of us who don't like pulp.  If everyone got juice with regular pulp, where would they get the extra pulp for those who want it.  :nodhead:  I will assume you have apologized profusely and forgive you.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1