Is it still pizza?

12string

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

California Pizza Kitchen claimes to have started that trend.  

CPK… Never heard of them until visiting family in VA.  I know they started here but it seems their expansion was more out of CA at first (at least not in my part of town) and I only had it while in VA.  

We have a couple nearby now but bougie pizza isn’t our thing.

Just now, ChrisL said:

CPK… Never heard of them until visiting family in VA.  I know they started here but it seems their expansion was more out of CA at first (at least not in my part of town) and I only had it while in VA.  

We have a couple nearby now but bougie pizza isn’t our thing.

I liked CPK in the late 90s when I ate like a fool.  I loved the carbonara, but it was always too much. You bring home the leftovers, and when you would get them out of the refrigerator the next day, the fat was congealed.  It was like a big suet block you put out for birds, but with spaghetti, bacon, and peas.  Damn, that was hell on one's arteries!

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I liked CPK in the late 90s when I ate like a fool.  I loved the carbonara, but it was always too much. You bring home the leftovers, and when you would get them out of the refrigerator the next day, the fat was congealed.  It was like a big suet block you put out for birds, but with spaghetti, bacon, and peas.  Damn, that was hell on one's arteries!

Yeah my MIL always took us there, you know CA!?!?  I don’t recall where now in NOVA it was…. I’m thinking it was early 90’s as I can’t remember going there with my son who was born in 98.

CPK was the closest restaurant to my office in Los Angeles, and one of the few that stayed open for dinner (it wasn't a very residential area).  Those years I had more CPK than is reasonable.  They had a good tortilla soup as I recall.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, 12string said:

There were pizza boxes on the counter.  I was hungry.  Plain or chicken something.

Turns out the something was instead of pizza sauce under that cheese, it was barbecue sauce.

Shoot! Just when I confirmed pizza sauce was better than spaghetti sauce on pizza, I've got to do an new set of tests!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1