Exhaust

Parr8hed

Let’s face it. The exhaust is one of the sexier parts of a car. The sound. The percussion. Especially if you have a little cam lope to it. 

legend has it that Alex Van Halen modeled the drum solo intro to Hot for Teacher after the exhaust on his Lamborghini. 

The look of exhaust systems are crucial as well. I hate it when a pipe is just stuck on there with no afterthought. Ugly. You just took the best part of a car and made it hideous. Dodge Ram trucks did an amazing job of bending the bumper around the duals to incorporate it into the overall look of the truck. (You May google image, I’m on a roll here) 

Which brings me to this photo that I took. I hated it. It was a new civic. Pretty sure it was a 4 cylinder but had 3 exhaust tips. WHY???  That made no sense. And they were different sizes. I hated it and it made me feel all uneasy on the way home. 
7B913A2A-E13D-4BC6-ABBB-D736A931D602.thumb.jpeg.af7e0acee3dd8033031c0e9f7bb21f63.jpeg

But then I used the googles. I don’t love it now but at least it was given lots of consideration so I’ll allow it. Peace has been restored. You may carry on about your day. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a10032609/why-the-2017-honda-civic-type-r-has-three-tailpipes/

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

Allz I care aboot is that the bastards make it oot of stainless. :)  I think the del sol predates ss systems becoming common so it has needed more than its fair share of exhaust work over the ages that I have owned it. :angry:  But I gotta admit I didn’t mind the last failure in the beginning as the small hole made it sound progressively more louderer until it got too fn loud and I had to get it fixed. 

The old MG Midget actually had a cool burble from all 1098 ccs. :D  Just right with the top down.

My first mega cycle was a Honda 350 and some asshole had put a  very loud exhaust system on it. Then I went to a new totally stock cb650 that was basically silent. Then the 84 Sabre was water cooled and therefore had less engine noise, so they jacked up the exhaust noise. It was a little off, always sounded a tad odd.   

• Heart 3

15 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

That’s 4. 8 into 4 is symmetrical. 4 into 3 is not. 

Yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of looks. Symmetry is not the thing, it has to do w/ flow area. Like w/ safety valves. The outlet area needs to be a certain factor of the inlet area :)

for instance the Ferrari F40 is a V8 w/ three out the muffler.

image.png.d4f21c27cfff124ea671f91dc112ee79.png

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Yes, but I was thinking more along the lines of looks. Symmetry is not the thing, it has to do w/ flow area. Like w/ safety valves. The outlet area needs to be a certain factor of the inlet area :)

for instance the Ferrari F40 is a V8 w/ three out the muffler.

image.png.d4f21c27cfff124ea671f91dc112ee79.png

Interesting, looks like Ferrari did the same trick. :) Being a cheap bastard, 1 is right for me. :D

• Haha 1

Nice exhaust can be stupid expensive.  I can replace mine with a factory installed (and warrantied) better sounding exhaust.  List price is about 4500, you can usually get it for less.  It comes with a minor engine tune and adds a whopping 30hp.  If I had the money, I would do it.  It's loud, warrantied, and street legal.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Nice exhaust can be stupid expensive.  I can replace mine with a factory installed (and warrantied) better sounding exhaust.  List price is about 4500, you can usually get it for less.  It comes with a minor engine tune and adds a whopping 30hp.  If I had the money, I would do it.  It's loud, warrantied, and street legal.

The car show Bitchin Rides (I think) was replacing an exhaust system.  They had a LOT of discussion on "cheap" replacement exhaust systems vs expensive (handbuilt in their case) systems.  I can't remember their phrasing, but cheap ones (Meineke or whoever), basically crimp and bend straight pipes, and there are all sorts of constrictions and areas where the flow of exhaust is disturbed rather than smoothly routed out of the engine.  It was an ugly comparison seeing the old vs new pipes. How much extra HP? No idea, but definitely way prettier when they were done. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

How much extra HP? No idea, but definitely way prettier when they were done. 

I think for my car the extra HP comes form the electronic tuning they do to the engine.  It come stock at around 320hp, but I've heard crazy numbers where the engine is capable on 500 - 600 hp.  That comes with lots of risks to the engine, and likely a shorter life.  The only tune covered is the one they do with the exhaust, it comes as a package only.  My 320hp has been enough for me so far.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Let’s face it. The exhaust is one of the sexier parts of a car. The sound.

My 2005 Prius when it was in EV mode at low speed was absolutely silent.   Once WoBG and my grandson were waiting for me to back the car out of the garage at my dad's home. (It was parked there, he had the space, while we were on vacation, it is a lot cheap than parking at O'Hare Field for 2 weeks, but I digress...)  They knew I'd be backing up the car.  They were standing there out of the way, and I scared the crap out of both of them (the were not watching the car).  I know this because of the way they reacted....  almost screams of terror.   Like the car should not be there... because they didn't hear it move.

Apparently that was a problem for the early Prius.  It was tooooo quite in parking lots.   People 'hear' cars more in a parking lot that they don't see, and they move out of the way.  Not so much with a car they don't hear.  The result was more than a few pedestrians would walk into the path of a Prius, and get hit.

My 2016 Prius, makes a squealing noise at low speed so people can hear the car. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How much extra HP?

Nothing that you would notice. There's claims aboot HP gains w/ a K&N filter or instance.  Not sure what they claim, maybe 5-10 HP? Like you're going to notice it, if its true. Same w/ an after market exhaust. The gains may be measurable w/ a dyno, but you're not going from say 250 HP to 350 HP.

Let’s face it. The exhaust is one of the sexier parts of a car. The sound. The percussion. Especially if you have a little cam lope to it.

Which brings me to this photo that I took. I hated it. It was a new civic. Pretty sure it was a 4 cylinder but had 3 exhaust tips. WHY???  That made no sense. And they were different sizes. I hated it and it made me feel all uneasy on the way home. 

I was thinking the middle one was for the smoke generator & oil slick dispenser.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

Let’s face it. The exhaust is one of the sexier parts of a car motorcycle. The sound. The percussion. Especially if you have a little cam lope to it. 

Fixed it for you 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

First, that's not just a 4.  It's turbocharged and claimed to be the fastest production front wheel drive car to ever lap the Nurburgring race track in Germany.  It's a pretty nice performance car.

The three exhaust design was intentional to reduce highway cruising noise while still allowing full throttle breathing.  See the following article:

Civic Type R Middle Exhaust - Why the Civic Type R Has Three Tailpipes (roadandtrack.com)

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I think for my car the extra HP comes form the electronic tuning they do to the engine.  It come stock at around 320hp, but I've heard crazy numbers where the engine is capable on 500 - 600 hp.  That comes with lots of risks to the engine, and likely a shorter life.  The only tune covered is the one they do with the exhaust, it comes as a package only.  My 320hp has been enough for me so far.

I was laughing in the Supra videos I got sucked into yesterday on Youtube.  The amazing one from the 90s that sold like poo-poo (killing the Supra for 20 years) was an ugly duckling until they discovered that it could EASILY be boosted to over 1,000 hp. Without killing it. YOWZA!!!!

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nothing that you would notice. There's claims aboot HP gains w/ a K&N filter or instance.  Not sure what they claim, maybe 5-10 HP? Like you're going to notice it, if its true. Same w/ an after market exhaust. The gains may be measurable w/ a dyno, but you're not going from say 250 HP to 350 HP.

Certainly not much gain for a normally aspirated, gasoline engine. The Silverado truck forum guys figure 10% on top of ~320 HP from filter, exhaust & tune. The tune can do other things like change the shift points, firm up the shifts,  and raise the rev limiter. It feels and sounds stronger, but the HP gain is minimal. There are endless debates about which ones are better, best, best for the money, etc.

FWIW, since I moved to the South, I have not had to replace the exhaust systems on any of my vehicles.

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My 2005 Prius when it was in EV mode at low speed was absolutely silent.   Once WoBG and my grandson were waiting for me to back the car out of the garage at my dad's home. (It was parked there, he had the space, while we were on vacation, it is a lot cheap than parking at O'Hare Field for 2 weeks, but I digress...)  They knew I'd be backing up the car.  They were standing there out of the way, and I scared the crap out of both of them (the were not watching the car).  I know this because of the way they reacted....  almost screams of terror.   Like the car should not be there... because they didn't hear it move.

Apparently that was a problem for the early Prius.  It was tooooo quite in parking lots.   People 'hear' cars more in a parking lot that they don't see, and they move out of the way.  Not so much with a car they don't hear.  The result was more than a few pedestrians would walk into the path of a Prius, and get hit.

My 2016 Prius, makes a squealing noise at low speed so people can hear the car. 

I was walking to my car at work and was looking at my phone while walking and stepped in the path of an oncoming Tesla.  Scared the crap outta me & the driver but damn I never heard it comin.

38 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was walking to my car at work and was looking at my phone while walking and stepped in the path of an oncoming Tesla.  Scared the crap outta me & the driver but damn I never heard it comin.

Happens a lot with the current round of hybrid cars too.  Those buggers are sneaky when running on battery only.  Usually the tire noise or a slight whine gives them away, but not always.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Really?   Squealing?  They couldn't come up with something better?  Depends on how shrill it is I guess.

Squealing may not be the best way to describe the noise.  At 30 seconds into the video.. hear for your self.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Like I said... people listen for cars in a parking lot.  Most are very noisy even at low speed.

That's why the Prius now makes a noise at low speed.  Too many pedestrian incidents in parking lots.  The 2005 Prius was very quiet at low speed. 

Toyota Prius to get pedestrian-warning noisemaker

That said... my 1977 Z28 Camaro with Hooker headers with Corvair turbo mufflers was rather loud.  It kind of rumbled at low speeds.

• Heart 1

I do put a lot of thought into this.  How a car sounds is a huge part of enjoying the car

1980 Dodge Challenger.  Had a 2.6 4 cyl, hemi head with a second small intake valve that opened just after the main.  Wasn't the exhaust that did it, I put 4 40mm Mikuni sidedrafts on it.  Even when it had the stock exhaust, wow, what a sound.

1992 F150, straight 6, Flowmaster with a dual side dump behind the door.  very cool sound.

So when it came to the GTI, W6 (almost a straight 6), I did a lot of youtube listening.  I HATE those cheap fart boxes the kids stick on their systems just to be louder and sound horrible.  Spent some $$ on a 42 Draft Designs SS system.  Only went up to 3", 3 1/2 would have been overkill.  Sounds great.  I opted for the turndown, the straight doesn't clear the rear fascia.  According to my wife, the turndown is too loud inside the car (she has a point)  So I bought a polished tip and cut out the fascia.  Still have to  get the tip welded on, so I don't know how the sound will change.

• Heart 1

I don’t mind a healthy engine note. A growl that says “I can back it up!”  But there becomes a point where they become flatulent and loud for the sake of loud! They tend to be the ones who accelerate hard from the light behind my back yard. They are also the ones who gun it when they pass cyclists. 4,7,8,12….we’ll tuned I like them all. Too many just go for the loud factor. 

11 hours ago, BR46 said:

Just the way the exhaust sound echoes in the trees will send shivers down your spine. 

Speaking of exhaust sound echoes...

After I installed the Hooker headers on my 77 Z28 Camaro, my plan was to go to a local shop where I knew a guy who was going to bend me some custom pipes and weld the custom pipes to the adaptor flange for the headers.

The shop was about 3 miles from my parrents home in 77.  (yeah I swapped out the exhaust on a nearly new car).  I left most of the stock exhaust in place, the exhaust pipes were going to be cut out at the shop which was going to be much quicker than I could do it at home. 

I dove to the place in my Camaro with open headers in the western suburbs of Chicago.  Talk about echoing exhaust noise between the buildings...   I figured out I could start from a stop, and hit it hard in fist gear.  VROOOOM   Then I'd shift to 3rd and take it easy.  The next stop light was red.  I'd shut down the engine and coast up to the light and wait.   The light would turn green, I'd start the engine and hit it hard in fist gear again..   VROOOOM.    Repeat as needed.

I get to the shop,  The guy tells me, "I can't remove the catalytic converter, that is illegal for me to do."   OK,  I can do that when the car is on your rack.  "No, I can't let you do that, you don't work here, I could get fired."   So I drove home VROOOM... I removed the catalytic converter, and drove back.  VROOOOM...   Then I got my custom exhaust. 

Yeah that I had LOTS of exhaust noise that day.  :party:

1305423662_1977Z28Camaro.jpg.a16f25038dbde79be4e5bd87c2d680e4.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

james-dean.jpg

9 hours ago, 12string said:

I do put a lot of thought into this.  How a car sounds is a huge part of enjoying the car

1980 Dodge Challenger.  Had a 2.6 4 cyl, hemi head with a second small intake valve that opened just after the main.  Wasn't the exhaust that did it, I put 4 40mm Mikuni sidedrafts on it.  Even when it had the stock exhaust, wow, what a sound.

1992 F150, straight 6, Flowmaster with a dual side dump behind the door.  very cool sound.

So when it came to the GTI, W6 (almost a straight 6), I did a lot of youtube listening.  I HATE those cheap fart boxes the kids stick on their systems just to be louder and sound horrible.  Spent some $$ on a 42 Draft Designs SS system.  Only went up to 3", 3 1/2 would have been overkill.  Sounds great.  I opted for the turndown, the straight doesn't clear the rear fascia.  According to my wife, the turndown is too loud inside the car (she has a point)  So I bought a polished tip and cut out the fascia.  Still have to  get the tip welded on, so I don't know how the sound will change.

Paul-Walker-Fast-and-Furious-2001.jpg

• Haha 1

My 70 Charger had apparently bottomed out heavily a few times. The exhaust system had some flat spots. A buddy and I removed everything from the downpipes back and hung the Cherry Bomb mufflers right there. It was plenty loud. And even louder when one of them would fall off! Took a little while to save for the new pipes. I should have gone 1/2” bigger to avoid the flatulent sound past 2500-3000 rpm. 
My V6 Capri was the best sounding exhaust/engine note I ever owned! The exhaust had a lot of rust and, again, I had no money. The exhaust guy installed new resonators in the stock location just ahead of the rear axle and stopped there. It had a snort, but was not loud. Just a silky growl at hiway speeds. 
The Miata is all stock. It’s very subdued until the RPMs hit entertainment level. It then gets a little raw at the edges!

The muffler on my V6 Dakota is rusty. It has a nice tone on the overrun between shifts! 

I installed a tuned aftermarket exhaust on my V8 Dakota when I first bought it back in '04. At first it was pretty sweet.  And I could adjust the volume with the throttle. At low RPMs it wasn't much louder than stock. Until I put my foot in it. :nodhead: Kept it for half a dozen years or so before the highway drone at 75 mph (during the five/six hour snowmo towing trips) finally got to me. With the Miata, I researched for months before finding the exhaust that made it sound like my old MGB sounded, like a roadster, and not just another tuner car.

• Heart 2