Exhaust

Parr8hed

2 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I installed a tuned aftermarket exhaust on my V8 Dakota when I first bought it back in '04. At first it was pretty sweet.  And I could adjust the volume with the throttle. At low RPMs it wasn't much louder than stock. Until I put my foot in it. :nodhead: Kept it for half a dozen years or so before the highway drone at 75 mph (during the five/six hour snowmo towing trips) finally got to me. With the Miata, I researched for months before finding the exhaust that made it sound like my old MGB sounded, like a roadster, and not just another tuner car.

Yay!  I like it when people research their exhaust. I will eventually do an exhaust on the 6.7 liter F350. The diesel world opens up a whole ‘nother realm to exhaust. 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:43 AM, Parr8hed said:

Let’s face it. The exhaust is one of the sexier parts of a car. The sound. The percussion. Especially if you have a little cam lope to it. 

legend has it that Alex Van Halen modeled the drum solo intro to Hot for Teacher after the exhaust on his Lamborghini. 

The look of exhaust systems are crucial as well. I hate it when a pipe is just stuck on there with no afterthought. Ugly. You just took the best part of a car and made it hideous. Dodge Ram trucks did an amazing job of bending the bumper around the duals to incorporate it into the overall look of the truck. (You May google image, I’m on a roll here) 

Which brings me to this photo that I took. I hated it. It was a new civic. Pretty sure it was a 4 cylinder but had 3 exhaust tips. WHY???  That made no sense. And they were different sizes. I hated it and it made me feel all uneasy on the way home. 
7B913A2A-E13D-4BC6-ABBB-D736A931D602.thumb.jpeg.af7e0acee3dd8033031c0e9f7bb21f63.jpeg

But then I used the googles. I don’t love it now but at least it was given lots of consideration so I’ll allow it. Peace has been restored. You may carry on about your day. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a10032609/why-the-2017-honda-civic-type-r-has-three-tailpipes/

I think that middle pipe is for the jet engine from the options package.

16 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Speaking of exhaust sound echoes...

After I installed the Hooker headers on my 77 Z28 Camaro, my plan was to go to a local shop where I knew a guy who was going to bend me some custom pipes and weld the custom pipes to the adaptor flange for the headers.

The shop was about 3 miles from my parrents home in 77.  (yeah I swapped out the exhaust on a nearly new car).  I left most of the stock exhaust in place, the exhaust pipes were going to be cut out at the shop which was going to be much quicker than I could do it at home. 

I dove to the place in my Camaro with open headers in the western suburbs of Chicago.  Talk about echoing exhaust noise between the buildings...   I figured out I could start from a stop, and hit it hard in fist gear.  VROOOOM   Then I'd shift to 3rd and take it easy.  The next stop light was red.  I'd shut down the engine and coast up to the light and wait.   The light would turn green, I'd start the engine and hit it hard in fist gear again..   VROOOOM.    Repeat as needed.

I get to the shop,  The guy tells me, "I can't remove the catalytic converter, that is illegal for me to do."   OK,  I can do that when the car is on your rack.  "No, I can't let you do that, you don't work here, I could get fired."   So I drove home VROOOM... I removed the catalytic converter, and drove back.  VROOOOM...   Then I got my custom exhaust. 

Yeah that I had LOTS of exhaust noise that day.  :party:

1305423662_1977Z28Camaro.jpg.a16f25038dbde79be4e5bd87c2d680e4.jpg

I had a Chevy 1/2 ton pickup I built up a bit. Slightly higher compression, a torque grind cam, Holley electronic carb / fuel injection, and headers into dual exhaust.

I drove it about 3 miles to the exhaust shop, with open headers. I passed a guy jogging on the way, I didn't intentionally tromp on it or anything, but the guy put his hands over his ears as I passed him, and in the rear view mirror, I noticed that he gave me a double bird salute 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Flame throwers are cool.

I made a comment to my son about a sidecar passing me going into a corner with 2 feet of flames coming out the exhaust. I said to my son....I wonder if I get any flames coming out my sidecars exhaust. 

My smart ass son said.......dad you're cool just not that cool 

• Heart 1

The jet cars do it on purpose though as part of the show.  They inject an additive to enhance the flames.  The Funny Cars and Top Fuel Dragsters can't help but produce flames because the fuel is so slow burning that it's still burning during the exhaust stroke.  It was not uncommon to see 90 degrees of ignition advance to get the stuff lit in time.  The fact that it's still burning during the exhaust stroke puts the exhaust valves under extreme stress as they are off the seat and without cooling as the flame goes by.  Red hot and white hot are normal environments for those valves and they are often the cause of a violent failure at the top end of the track as the valve heads melt off and impact the piston tops.

It might seem strange that such a high power racing fuel burns so slowly and actually delivers less energy than gasoline or alcohol but because nitro methane carries a lot of it's own oxygen within the fuel, the quantities stuffed into an engine are very high for a total power increase.