Have you ever been involved in or first hand witness to a kerfuffle?

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Page Turner,

I don't recall ever being anywhere where there was a physical fight, but in my first year at this job, the department head took us all out for a holiday lunch. The restaurant manager and one of the waiters got into a verbal altercation with screaming  which made the lunch a little awkward.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I played Lax with a guy in college who was the only person I have ever met that got aggressive when they smoke pot. We were downtown (Potsdam, not anywhere substantial) & he decided he wanted to brawl over someone's perceived slight. He went after the guy & I bear hug (he was substantially barrel chested & at the limit of bear huggedness) tackled him & we went over the back of a booth into the mud, the blood & the beer. I tell ya, I've wrestled tougher men, but I really can't remember when. He kicked like a mule & rolled like a crocodile. It ended up all good.

I was on a forum post that devolved into a Shel Silverstein poem as narrated by Johnny Cash. Though as I remember it, it happened in Gatlinburg. 

• Heart 1

I remember one time responding to a brawl at the barracks and this one soldier was absolutely laying wood to this other guy all the while screaming for help and the the guy was hurting him!?!? 😂

The so called “aggressor” got his ass handed to him but good! 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I remember one time responding to a brawl at the barracks and this one soldier was absolutely laying wood to this other guy all the while screaming for help and the the guy was hurting him!?!? 😂

The so called “aggressor” got his ass handed to him but good! 

Hey, weren't you the guy who got called out for spit shining all the tortoises & white-outing stars on them so they looked like little generals?

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I related this story at the old place about a guy who nearly ran me over in the crosswalk at my local Publix.

I had just come off a project that I really didn't want to be on. As a form of protest, I had let my hair grow out the entire time. I thought I looked like Troy Palamalu, Wo2 said I looked like the crazy guy who lives in the shed in the back yard. It was long enough to put in a pony tail. Loose, it looked a little (a lot) wild.

Anyways, I did a little grocery shopping, had about 4 bags of stuff (two in each hand, relevant later), came out the main door & into the crosswalk. The guy slightly in front of me says, "watch this guy", I say, "I got it" and this butt wipe cruises thru the stop sign & the crosswalk from the left, close enough to me that I could touch his car. So I did. With my foot. BTW, a BMW, you know the type.

The guy slams on his brakes, gets out of the car & says, "I can't believe you kicked my car." The back of his car is prolly 20' from where I'm standing (still in the crosswalk)

I sez, "I can't believe you ran the stop sign & drove thru the crosswalk with people in it"

He says, "You weren't in the crosswalk." At this point, I'm closing the distance to his side of the car.

He reaches back into his car. I'm thinking he's going for a gun.

I take two quick steps & do a sliding front kick into his door, pinning him between the door & the frame. I look into the car & he's trying to hang up his phone. Aha.

I step back & he comes out swinging. After about a swing & a half, I knew he didn't know how to fight. I dodged, ducked, dipped, deked and dodged for about a minute (maybe less, time compresses)  I trash talked the shit out of him the entire time. He's saying I hit him in the face. I hold up the four bags of groceries I'm still holding & say "With. Which. Hand?" The realization crosses his face & he gets back into the car & screeches off.

I strolled up the lane toward my truck and there's this woman in an SUV with an actual "WTF did I just witness" look on her face. I smiled & said, "Hey, howzit going?"

You had it coming, hippie! 

• Haha 1

Just now, 2Far said:

Hey, weren't you the guy who got called out for spit shining all the tortoises & white-outing stars on them so they looked like little generals?

Yeah we used armor all & white out to make the turtles look like little MP helmets.  

Not only did we get called out, the freaking Chief of Staff of the Army General Whickam https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Wickham_Jr.

(I worked at Ft Myer where many of the top generals assigned to DC lived) was walking his dog, saw a turtle, came to the Gate and chewed our ass. You tell your buddies to leave my fucking turtles alone!   Yessir!!!! 

Unbeknownst to him he was actually yelling at one of the guys who did it! 😂

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah we used armor all & white out to make the turtles look like little MP helmets.  

Not only did we get called out, the freaking Chief of Staff of the Army General Whickam https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Wickham_Jr.

(I worked at Ft Myer where many of the top generals assigned to DC lived) was walking his dog, saw a turtle, came to the Gate and chewed our ass. You tell your buddies to leave my fucking turtles alone!   Yessir!!!! 

Unbeknownst to him he was actually yelling at one of the guys who did it! 😂

4fdd35ac-f454-4b40-8a52-5d8b1c334c97.png

General Turtgora: Leader of the Dark Turtle Army. : r/Bossfight

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

I related this story at the old place about a guy who nearly ran me over in the crosswalk at my local Publix.

I had just come off a project that I really didn't want to be on. As a form of protest, I had let my hair grow out the entire time. I thought I looked like Troy Palamalu, Wo2 said I looked like the crazy guy who lives in the shed in the back yard. It was long enough to put in a pony tail. Loose, it looked a little (a lot) wild.

Anyways, I did a little grocery shopping, had about 4 bags of stuff (two in each hand, relevant later), came out the main door & into the crosswalk. The guy slightly in front of me says, "watch this guy", I say, "I got it" and this butt wipe cruises thru the stop sign & the crosswalk from the left, close enough to me that I could touch his car. So I did. With my foot. BTW, a BMW, you know the type.

The guy slams on his brakes, gets out of the car & says, "I can't believe you kicked my car." The back of his car is prolly 20' from where I'm standing (still in the crosswalk)

I sez, "I can't believe you ran the stop sign & drove thru the crosswalk with people in it"

He says, "You weren't in the crosswalk." At this point, I'm closing the distance to his side of the car.

He reaches back into his car. I'm thinking he's going for a gun.

I take two quick steps & do a sliding front kick into his door, pinning him between the door & the frame. I look into the car & he's trying to hang up his phone. Aha.

I step back & he comes out swinging. After about a swing & a half, I knew he didn't know how to fight. I dodged, ducked, dipped, deked and dodged for about a minute (maybe less, time compresses)  I trash talked the shit out of him the entire time. He's saying I hit him in the face. I hold up the four bags of groceries I'm still holding & say "With. Which. Hand?" The realization crosses his face & he gets back into the car & screeches off.

I strolled up the lane toward my truck and there's this woman in an SUV with an actual "WTF did I just witness" look on her face. I smiled & said, "Hey, howzit going?"

In @Square Wheels defense, he has had some health issues (from the EVIL running), so I doubt he was at his best.  Mt Washington-Square would have whipped your hippie behind!

• Haha 1

People are so set in their ways politically anymore, I do the old bar advice of not talking politics or religion in general.

I have people far to the left of me and far to the right.  I should set them against each other!

My cousin Willie used to go up to our Uncle Tom, a Republican, at family parties and say, "Did you hear what Uncle John said about the GOP?"

Then he'd go up to Uncle John, a Democrat, and say, "Did you hear what Uncle Tom said about the Democrats?"

Willie would get them arguing every time!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

a few, none serious.  One almost, would have been serious

Gave a  friend a ride home from somewhere, turns out parents were away, her sister was having a party.  And it was looking like it was getting out of hand, so I started tossing people out (not too many physically, they were mostly compliant).  Friend's BF shows up, starts helping me with the expulsions, gets testy with one guy in particular.  Testy guy gets all ready to rumble on the front lawn, BF goes after him, I drag BF back in the house, Testy guys friend starts calling me out, his buds all start trying to get him to leave - from a distance, and they look scared.  I realize staying indoors would behoove us.  BF runs for the door with a couple kitchen knives, so I block him.  Whole lot of back and forth, finally testy guy leaves, party's over, I leave.  Came back later to check in, sister lets on that testy guy has outstanding assault warrants and an even longer history, had I gone outside he would have had no problem with likely another murder.

18 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

In @Square Wheels defense, he has had some health issues (from the EVIL running), so I doubt he was at his best.  Mt Washington-Square would have whipped your hippie behind!

I fight like a girl, her name is Rhonda.

I've never been in a fight.  I'm not a small guy.  I had a tiny amount of martial arts training (less than a year total).  I know the damage I could do to another human being if I were to hit them, and I take that responsibility seriously.  If I ever hit you, it will be for good cause, cause I don't even understand now because I never plan to hit anyone.  I also know, never underestimate your opponent.  I had one farm boy hit me a few times.  He was two belts higher than me, but it was like getting hit by a truck.  When you looked at him, he hit like you'd expect - it still hurt though.  Then there was drill Seargent lady (yes, she really was in the army).  She had a black belt.  They were always respectful of their position in relation to yours.  She seemed to forget that when she kicked me in the ribs.  I heard something crack and I had a crunching feeling on that side for many months.  I suspect she broke a rib.  Fast forward a few years and I decide to go back.  Just goofing off sparring with the kids and a 12 year old girl kicked me in the mouth.  Never saw it coming.

Never fight unless you plan to win.  Never underestimate your opponent.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I fight like a girl, her name is Rhonda.

I've never been in a fight.  I'm not a small guy.  I had a tiny amount of martial arts training (less than a year total).  I know the damage I could do to another human being if I were to hit them, and I take that responsibility seriously.  If I ever hit you, it will be for good cause, cause I don't even understand now because I never plan to hit anyone.  I also know, never underestimate your opponent.  I had one farm boy hit me a few times.  He was two belts higher than me, but it was like getting hit by a truck.  When you looked at him, he hit like you'd expect - it still hurt though.  Then there was drill Seargent lady (yes, she really was in the army).  She had a black belt.  They were always respectful of their position in relation to yours.  She seemed to forget that when she kicked me in the ribs.  I heard something crack and I had a crunching feeling on that side for many months.  I suspect she broke a rib.  Fast forward a few years and I decide to go back.  Just goofing off sparring with the kids and a 12 year old girl kicked me in the mouth.  Never saw it coming.

Never fight unless you plan to win.  Never underestimate your opponent.

Someone once tried to kill me with a knife.  It wasn't a pretty fight.  He started with the knife while I started with bare hands.  I almost cut one finger tip completely off while gaining control of the knife.  All of this was in the dark, not quite pitch black.  It was wartime so I'm ot sure that can be defined as a kerfuffle.

• 8 months later...